Interesting Exposee On Older Foreign Tourists In Bangkok!

Goong Chae Nam Pla

Not sure about the rules of fair usage and plagiarism so obviously I won't post the full article on here but just to give a short description of it.It's basicallly about old tourists coming out to Bangkok looking for young girls,shopping trips to Loius Vuitton and buffalos also get a mention!
It also mentions that Thailand has the worst education system anywhere in South-East Asia which seems quite hard to believe,as if you are rich you can pay for some pretty good schools I would imagine.I suppose it means for people of less means from a poor,farming background though?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatlife/9972174/The-Old-Sexpats-Club-members-and-their-young-Thai-women.html

Don't shoot the messenger!whistling.gif

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Thai education system, I second that;

- Thai universities are nowhere near the top 10 or even 50 of best in the world (I think Chula is 101th), hence you need to leave the country to get decent higher education.

- As for International Schools Patana & ISB; yes they have a very high level students, and get better exams results than average Europe/ US, but it's easy to understand when you realize that 99% of their kids come from well-off expats privileged families who can offer high standard extra curriculum activities (great holidays, fantastic surrounding, selected friends) and if a kid is from the 1% and is a low achiever, the school does not make much effort to help him and just boot him out, so they keep their grade level high.

Edited by Kitsune

I'd have been happy to give the writer (a Canadian expat living in Bangkok and working as a blogger) the benefit of the doubt but then I got to the part explaining why women flock to Bangkok to work in the sex industry. That reason being that such a huge percentage of MUSLIM women are subjected to domestic violence. At that stage I closed the page and came back here where the old men actually have a clue.

Why bother to write a bitchy article like this? typical rant about The Older Guys with the Younger Beauties? it's been done to death so many times it ceases to have any meaning or impact,get used to it,nothings going to change what has been the norm for hundreds of years +!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

"And, as for the men, trouble only arises when they forget the social context of the relationship and become delusional about its true nature, If they do not want to be part of the Old Sexpats Club, then they should not play the game" clap2.gif

Very well put article !

I thought fair enough as it goes but clearly from her own PC POV, not actually accurate in many areas and same old same old for anyone who lives here.

Education bit is of course spot on, a country with how many millions now and maybe a dozen world-class schools in the whole kingdom, servicing maybe 8000 students, averaging per tuition per head 2-3 times average total income.

Nearly all the rest a complete joke based nearly 100% on rote memorisation, and where the teachers themselves can't even pass the standardized tests in the subject they teach, not even touching the mega-joke that is the attempt to teach English in the normal school systems.

funny, not. . .

Author is totally clueless and the article is filled with idiocy and ignorance, as per the course for this type of article.

I think the author knows a lot more than you suggest. Of course the guys with their 20 year younger, uneducated gf will scream and shout at the untruth. The truth hurts.

Old guys do come here and take advantage of young, uneducated girls with no other option if they want a comfortable life.

My wife comes from a poor background and obviously wouldn't have married me if she came from a rich family. She is only 3 years younger. I am old enough and wise enough to accept the truth.

• Like 1

Firstly, one has to look at the rapidly shifting demographics of Thailand,
which have caused massive rural poverty. As the government concentrates on
encouraging industrial growth and expanding exports, it has poured money
into urban development and mainly ignored the needs of rural Thailand.

Which is just what every government in the western world did when they moved from an agricultural rural society into an industrial urban society.

It's called progress, like it or not. Thailand is just 100 years behind the USA and Europe. WW1 & WWII solved their population excess problem during that process.

Can Thailand find a similar solution?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Author is totally clueless and the article is filled with idiocy and ignorance, as per the course for this type of article.

I think the author knows a lot more than you suggest. Of course the guys with their 20 year younger, uneducated gf will scream and shout at the untruth. The truth hurts.

Old guys do come here and take advantage of young, uneducated girls with no other option if they want a comfortable life.

My wife comes from a poor background and obviously wouldn't have married me if she came from a rich family. She is only 3 years younger. I am old enough and wise enough to accept the truth.

..............and yet, according to a relatively recent Thaivisa poll, the 20 year age gap is relatively rare. You are closer to the median age gap.

I must ask though, why do you say you are old enough and wise enough to accept the truth??

edited.......sorry My'Lord, it was a leading question ermm.gif

Edited by theblether

I just stuck a reply up on that article, if you click through you can see it's quite clearly me smile.png Here it is..............

............and in next weeks article we'll be reading stories of fantastically successful marriages between Thais and foreigners which have lasted decades.

We'll be reading stories about Thai women nursing their ill husbands hand and foot while their wealth is drained away by medical bills.
We'll be reading stories about the children of these marriages being given far better educational opportunities than could ever be afforded to them otherwise.
We'll be reading stories about families working together to build successful businesses.
We'll be reading stories about Thai women insisting that they obtain Usufructs on the family homes so that their husband cannot be denied the use of them after their death due to arcane Thai property laws.
We'll be reading stories about Thai single parents working their finger to the bone to support their families, with no thought of entering the sex industry as they abhor it with the same venom as women in the West.
In short we'll be reading an article that actually tells the truth about Thai women. I challenge the editor to demand that article to be written. If this lazy journalist is incapable of writing it, contact me and I'll do it gratis.

This vilification of Thai women has to stop.

Please post a link to those stories once they are published, because I rarely read them on the Thai expat forum called Thaivisa.

• Like 2

I'm not one of those old guys with a girlfriend 20 years older. I'm younger than the majority of 'mia farang' I see in Thailand. She says most are barely legal but most of them are in their 30s and 40s (the author is probably old and bitter so they look that way to her however), the vast majority have children of their own, often already teenagers or adults! Than she goes on to write BS about how normal it is for a Thai woman to have multi farang 'boyfriends' and how the Thai husband won't care and how most Thais wouldn't consider this prostitution or objectionable in any way (it is a small minority among 70 million Thais that engages in this and everyone else thinks it is bad), and BS about how there high unemployment and bargirls have no choice, and BS statistics from the Durex survey. The woman is extraordinarily ignorant and I don't say this as a member of the old sexpat Club but as a young expat who is tired of this kind of exploitative, racist (against Thais), and ignorant journalism.

• Like 2

I reckon she got most of her "information" from right here, with her own assumptions and selective interpretation for maximum sensationalism.

Sad thing is she probably got paid less than 20 pounds for the piece, state of "journalism" these days, that profession's pretty well gone now.

I'd have been happy to give the writer (a Canadian expat living in Bangkok and working as a blogger) the benefit of the doubt but then I got to the part explaining why women flock to Bangkok to work in the sex industry. That reason being that such a huge percentage of MUSLIM women are subjected to domestic violence. At that stage I closed the page and came back here where the old men actually have a clue.

You get work permits for that ? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

-

She probably recycled a piece she'd just written about Jakarta or Bali, forgot to check after doing a search and replace.

• Like 1