Interesting Exposee On Older Foreign Tourists In Bangkok!

Goong Chae Nam Pla

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guesthouse, your posts are bordering on a racist slant which has no bearing whatsover on this thread,... Why have you felt the need to refer to bagpipes and porridge in two posts? Explain the relevance to the thread please, or immediately retract them. I for one find it extremely offensive and contrary to forum rules.

If you're big enough to throw insults, we have to ssume you are also big enough to retract when blatantly out of order.

I am very proud of my Scottish Heritage, it pops out all the time.

These are not insults they are cultural links we perhaps share.

Now can we get back to dealing with my point of view?!

I of course apologise for my denigration of the Scotts, I hope my mother half forgives me (she's only half Scottish) and my Scottish grandfather is not turning in his grave.

Edited by GuestHouse

FACT thousands of foreign men come to Thailand and have pay for sex relationships with Thai prostitutes. FACT the Thai sex industry for foreigners is a well known, well documented and well publicised sector of the Thai tourist industry (Thank you again TB for doing your bit in spreading the word).

Now either it is true that many Thai women choose this to work in this industry (and looking around it certainly seems true).

Or only a very few Thai women work like hell in this industry to meet the needs of the large market.

Either way Many Thai women can work in the sex industry without any implication or denigration of the many who do not.

The word is out - The Thai sex industry is an established brand bringing thousands of men to Thailand (there are sextourists in the air flying here as I speak).

So those are facts.

Why are you so offended at an implied insult to ALL Thai women THAT HAS NOT BEEN MADE IN THE ARTICLE TB CHOSE TO POST??

Edited by GuestHouse

Guesthouse, it is apparent that:

EITHER you are totally incapable of understanding how offensive your comments are, EG "Take your head out your porridge - every old single man boarding a plane of Thailand knows what to expect when he gets here." No decent Scot would use references to things scottish to insult another person.... and secondly, not every old single man comes to Thailand for your purported purposes. Another sweeping and idiotic generalisation.

OR you are deliberately trolling.

Which is it?

Beyond that, I do not consider you worthy of further response.

FACT thousands of foreign men come to Thailand and have pay for sex relationships with Thai prostitutes. FACT the Thai sex industry for foreigners is a well known, well documented and well publicised sector of the Thai tourist industry (Thank you again TB for doing your bit in spreading the word).

Now either it is true that many Thai women choose this to work in this industry (and looking around it certainly seems true).

Or only a very few Thai women work like hell in this industry to meet the needs of the large market.

Either way Many Thai women can work in the sex industry without any implication or denigration of the many who do not.

The word is out - The Thai sex industry is an established brand bringing thousands of men to Thailand (there are sextourists in the air flying here as I speak).

So those are facts.

Why are you so offended at an implied insult to ALL Thai women THAT HAS NOT BEEN MADE IN THE ARTICLE TB CHOSE TO POST??

I don't think anyone is disputing any of that, merely the general implication the article makes that 'many' Thai women have to resort to grabbing a 'sexpat' to get along in life.

I see far more Thai women NOT working in the "profession" on a daily basis....don't you?

• Like 1

I stand by what I said......I get irked by the Western media constantly painting Thai women in a negative light, the vast majority I see don't deserve it.

I watched the little laundry lady wander into work this morning and I thought to myself, what a life, 12 hours a day of washing and ironing. That young lassie that's just taken on the cafe is working a 13 hour day.

Surely it's up to us that see hard working and dedicated Thai women every day in life to challenge this lazy assumption? it's tragic how they are so misrepresented.

The article was dross but the readers comments were better, some illuminating and even quite entertaining.

People who spend a lot of time in Thailand are able to put things into context, but I do feel though that someone reading the article, with little or no time spent on the ground here, would interpret it as applying to a substantial proportion of western males in Thailand and to most young Thai women. All in all it provides a disservice to many beyond the author's intended target group.

Edited by chiangmaibruce
  • Like 2

Oh but look, its the sex tourists /sexpats that are self righteously defending Thai women.

Explain that comment Guesthouse.

It's written in plain english and needs no explanation - I mean precisely what I have said.

So by dint you're having a go at me for having the temerity to point out that not every Thai lady is a money grabbing hooker......and further to that you're accusing me of being a sex tourist?.

Simple yes or no answer Guesthouse, seeing how you're fond of plain English.

If it looks like a duck,walks like a duck and it quacks...whistling.gif

It may not be "fair", but it's the (very small group of) Thais that have created this international reputation now nearly impossible to turn around, turning a normally discreet niche activity into a Las Vegas - style public circus.

If TPTB had just stopped the development the blatant go-go areas of Pattaya, Patpong, Cowboy and Nana, later followed by Patong and to some extent Samui and Hua Hin, and even just gone through the motions of discouraging mass sex tourism with a little more show "crack downs" in the early days, the Philippines would have got all the reputation - and most of the money, but their precious face would be much bigger overseas.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this kind of article weren't actually paid-under-the-table advertising by some secret department at TAT, maybe sexpat numbers are falling these days with the strong baht. . .

Usual BS that I've seen a hundred times before, written by know nothing so called journalists to pay for a holiday to LOS.

The reporter reminds me of that journalist that did a report on various issues in Thailand for the BBC, Stacey Dooley....what a joke she was! It was embarassing!!!

Stacey Dooley saves Thailand!! Lol

The funniest thing is that she thought she was going to get an interview with the PM, I think Abhisit at the time.....yeah, that was gonna happen! cheesy.gif

You just have to watch it, so funny.....

• Like 1

Financial stability runs high in most relationship calculations......that's not exclusive to Thailand. Equally it's not misogynistic to say that, it's now getting to the point that young women in the West are routinely out earning their partners. Bizarrely there will soon come a point where the pool of suitable men will be too small for this demographic.

Role reversal is on it's way coffee1.gif

All good. Let's see how women like it when THEY are the ones having to pay up large to their divorced husbands. I especially like that they were the ones wanting equality. The few rich women in the UK that have had to pay up so far didn't like it at all cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

It must be great to be a 'journalist' in 2013 - one eye on the Twitterverse while you bang out rehashed excrement like that before heading off to the kind of boozy lunch most of us had to farewell sometime in the mid 90s. Throw in the fact that the small 'f' feminist who wrote this dirge didnt even have the guts to put her own name to it and I'd like to thank the OP for 60 seconds I'll never get back. Has anything good ever come out of Canada other than Rush and PSB loudspeakers ? Where are the gun nuts when they are so sorely needed ?

Laura Fearn is the nom de plume of a Canadian expat who lives in Thailand and works as a freelance writer and blogger reporting on life in Asia.

Good find..............I enjoyed this bit right at the end.

Currently with sixteen months experience in Thailand, Laura has lived and worked in four countries and explored an additional 67. Although Thailand is one of the top ten destinations for expats, she intends to write from the perspective of living in a number of countries. Indeed, the nature of her observations may make relocation compulsory. In much of Asia, any criticism of crown, country or government can incur up to a twenty-year prison sentence; face is everything and difference of opinion are too often settled by hired hitmen riding on the back of motorbikes. A life-long political activist with a need-to-know nature, Laura holds an MSc in Human Rights from the London School of Economics. No ‘blue dress’ but her internship was with President Clinton’s Global Initiative Foundation. Her writing background includes work as a Script Analyst/Editor for Home Box Office, The CBC and Spelling International. She has also had articles published in a variety of newspapers. Laura writes here under a nom de plume for reasons of safety.

Right......who is it? Which TV member joined 16 months ago??? whistling.gif

Thanks for posting that. Now I know why she writes rubbish.

• Like 1

I watched that in the UK, it must have been the worst piece of British journalism I have ever seen.......the bit where she starts crying at the end should have had her barred from TV for life.

I just loved it when she says...

1. I am going to put my concerns about these issues in Thailand to the Prime Minister.

2. Oh, I am now seeing the Deputy Prime Minister.

3. Ok, great I am now seeing a "Thai Official"

Just fantastic! Lol

• Like 1

So those are facts.

I don't think anyone is disputing any of that, merely the general implication the article makes that 'many' Thai women have to resort to grabbing a 'sexpat' to get along in life.

I see far more Thai women NOT working in the "profession" on a daily basis....don't you?

But your own observation does not detract from the FACT that MANY Thai women do resort to prostituting themselves to foreign sex tourists and sexpats.... does it?!

I feel for TB and his dilemma.

Having discovered an article in which HE IMAGINES an attack on the virtue of all Thai women (no unbiased reading of the article TB posted can possibly conclude it an attack on ALL THAI WOMEN), TB is faced with a dilemma.

Should he post the article on TVF and thereby spread the nasty assertions (that in truth he himself has imagined) or should he not post and deny himself the opportunity to parade his self righteous indignation.

FACT - Nothing in the article TB chose to post suggest that all Thai women are money grabbing hookers - the assertion that ALL THAI WOMEN ARE MONEY GRABBING HOOKERS is real and only real in TB's imagination.

Read the article - there is not even the slightest suggestion that the observations made apply to all Thai women. FACT!

• Like 1

I would like to meet the Journalist and take her in the Patong area and even there i can show her the normal Thailand do you think she will meet me for another interesting story.?

I can even show her some old and young that just come because they like Thailand and don't go to the darkside.

To boring methinks

Edited by jocko

I think people are getting more worked up insofar as the 'article' is written by somone with less knowledge of Thailand than Guesthouse.

If this 'article' had been written as a post on here it would have been zapped in moments as a dumb flame.

The 'writer' hasn't even the guts to reply to her post so we know 'she' was a troll.

I'd say to the bellend who wrote this. lets hear your side, especially as GH couldn't come back...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Well I'm impressed that you guys can get so worked up about the same

which are really of limited interest to the world at large

Fair enough, but how many in the 'world at large' would find any of that particularly 'new' or 'interesting' ? It's horse dung - we've all seen it, some of us may have even trodden in it, but we dont need a description of it.

So those are facts.

The fact is it´s not that all the things she say is untrue but she hardly came by this by living with the locals in Thailand, she did it by listening to gossip and rumors and make an ill-advised assumption and put it out in print. This woman hardly cares about the Thai women, more like giving fuel to the feminist fire back home so she can go on doing what she's always done.

Edited by maxme

There was this Thai girl sitting on her own dressed up like she was rich, who just happened to be in a farang bargirl bar area and the farangs in the bar were falling for it.

One; she's on her own in a bar girl bar was a give away, but when she opened her mouth after a few drinks I thought someone had thrown some ping pong balls.

arthurwaite

Thais can spot a persons class by their voice and tone a mile away.

Not quite sure this is true,sure in the UK for instance,people think that a person who speaks

With a pebble in their mouth must automatically have class,but as we all know,this is not always the case.

The fact is it´s not that all the things she say is untrue but she hardly came by this by living with the locals in Thailand, she did it by listening to gossip and rumors and make an ill-advised assumption and put it out in print. This woman hardly cares about the Thai women, more like giving fuel to the feminist fire back home so she can go on doing what she's always done.

The model TV member.... I wonder what his/her username is whistling.gif

I just stuck a reply up on that article, if you click through you can see it's quite clearly me smile.png Here it is..............

............and in next weeks article we'll be reading stories of fantastically successful marriages between Thais and foreigners which have lasted decades.

We'll be reading stories about Thai women nursing their ill husbands hand and foot while their wealth is drained away by medical bills.
We'll be reading stories about the children of these marriages being given far better educational opportunities than could ever be afforded to them otherwise.
We'll be reading stories about families working together to build successful businesses.
We'll be reading stories about Thai women insisting that they obtain Usufructs on the family homes so that their husband cannot be denied the use of them after their death due to arcane Thai property laws.
We'll be reading stories about Thai single parents working their finger to the bone to support their families, with no thought of entering the sex industry as they abhor it with the same venom as women in the West.
In short we'll be reading an article that actually tells the truth about Thai women. I challenge the editor to demand that article to be written. If this lazy journalist is incapable of writing it, contact me and I'll do it gratis.

This vilification of Thai women has to stop.

I love you theblether wub.png ...sorry... I mean I love your writingclap2.gif

• Like 1