Thailand's Food Sellers And Taxi Drivers May Pay V A T

webfact

Food Sellers And Cabdrivers May Pay VAT Taxes

f3.jpgf4.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government is making adjustments to its tax system, and may eventually require taxi drivers and food merchants to start paying VAT taxes. Recently the corporate tax rate was cut by 3 percent, and the government wants to raise the VAT tax rate from 7 to 8 percent.

This year the Thai government is estimated to lose about 100 billion baht in reduced tax revenue, after lowering the corporate income tax rate from 23 percent to 20 percent.

However, government officials said the difference in lost tax revenue can be made up in other areas, such as increasing the VAT tax rate from 7 percent to 8 percent. But because of public opposition, there are no immediate plans to implement a VAT tax increase.

The difference in lost revenue can also be partly made up by overhauling the tax structure to include people that are currently not paying taxes on income, such as taxi drivers and food vendors, said a government spokesman.

Even though the business tax rate was lowered to 20 percent, Mr. Satit Rankasiri, the director general of Customs department, said that he was sure his department will collect their targeted tax revenues for this year.

As for the Value Added Tax (VAT), the personal income tax was still in the normal range, even though the new tax structure had reduced the maximum tax rate for individuals from 37 percent to 35 percent, he said.

The fiscal code amendment proposition to the parliament would apply to the taxable fiscal year of 2013, which would be collected from taxpayers filing in early 2014. The changes would affect husbands and wives filing separately, and because of the income distribution, would result in a lower rate of tax paying, Mr. Satit said.

“The department can still collect 25 percent more tax than the goal, but what is of concern is that the juristic person (business) filing in the middle of this year would pay reduced taxes from 23 percent to 20 percent,” Mr. Satit said.

“I had insisted to the authorities to follow the revenue and the purchasing and selling tax filing of the last year to be compared.”

Full story: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/04/16/food-sellers-and-cabdrivers-may-pay-vat-taxes/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-04-16

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is income it should be taxed

However, where I come from there is a minimum amount, if you do not make a certain amount of money you pay no income tax.

I am sure all the upstanding food venders will declare the correct amoount

Since it is common knowledge that BIB and politicans all collect tea money ... why not tax the tea money?

I am looking forward to seeing the traffic jams caused by the taxi drivers around Govt house if they have to tart paying taxes.

Personally I think 95% of taxi drivers are <deleted> ... I hope they get hit hard

It is the customer that pays the VAT not the supplier, VAT is added to the cost of the supplied item, ie. 100baht becomes 110 baht if taxed at 10%.

The supplier still retains their 100 baht, no reason to complain, just extra paperwork.

All suppliers should be registered and display their licence, proof they are legitimate.

You would like to think the extra taxes will filter back to provide better infrastructure, I have my doubts.

Income tax is a separate issue, nothing to do with VAT.

Edited by UbonOz
  • Like 1

It took a long time but finally this government might have come up with a good idea (widen the tax base and have small businesses actually pay tax). But whether they are capable of implementing the idea.....?

If the same zeal is applied to the implementation of this tax scheme as is paid to the creaming off of project monies indeed the taxation scheme will be a success, of course there will be commissions payable to interested politicians and state officials too have no doubt about that matter thus success could be achieved less the going commission rates..

BTW a few weeks ago we can a minister or other government official telling us that a VAT increase might be possible around 2017 when all good measures of this government had brought a sufficient wealth level to all Thai.

Its stupid, harebrained myopic statements like this that affect the rest of us.... can you not see the day when the taxi driver tries to charge you VAT on top of the fare..... of course no money will go back to the revenue/ tax department.

PTP has to get the money from somewhere. They stole what was there for projects and infrastructure. The 2.2 trillion is already gone before it ever gets borrowed. Where is the money going to come from. Soon they will start charging prostitutes.

They reduced the corporate tax as help, so people could have their pay rise to 300 baht a day. Well, someone has to pay for a pay rise. Higher VAT and higher prices at food stalls, pay rise will soon be gone – if not already gone by the price increases caused by the pay rise – may even end up with less buying power than before the pay rise.

I thought everybody PAID VAT, the headline should be that Taxi Drivers & Food Vendors may CHARGE VAT.

Agreed. I didn't realize they didn't need to pay VAT to began with. Silly that restaurants need to pay it but the food vendor outside doesn't. But anyways, yes, it's not going to get enforced since there's no way to enforce it. But it's also just as unenforceable that I pay my US taxes on income I made aboard and yet I do it. So it might increase tax receipts.

Anyways, how many things are law but just not enforced? If I remember correctly, it's illegal to even have a food cart on the street yet everyone does it.