40K A Month Isn't Enough Anymore

balloon chaser

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the Thai guys I know on the estate I live in are getting anywhere near 40k a month.

The combined wage of most Thai families I know is 24-28k a month.

Generally the wife seems to have a better education (degree) and wage (14k) than the man (10k).

This is in a middle class, Thai only, estate just outside CM, bank staff, office workers, teachers, nurses, police, etc.

Another really odd happening

When the men get paid, end of month, they are expected to bring their wage packet home, unopened, and hand it to their wife. She will then open the wage packet, count the money and hand the guy 200-400bht for him to spend. She keeps the rest to pay household bills.

Nowhere close to a middle class income. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Your joking right ? 40k a month!!! More like 120-200k a month when you add eating out 7 days a week, shopping, bar bill nightly for the man 2k. The wife drinks water.

Villa staff costs 20k ,

Then bills such as car fuel ,

I've met people out here who say they live on 30k their lives are very fugal (right word ?)

I'd love to know how you accomplish that!

None of the Thai guys I know on the estate I live in are getting anywhere near 40k a month.

Generally the wife seems to have a better education (degree) and wage (14k) than the man (10k).

This is in a middle class, Thai only, estate just outside CM, bank staff, office workers, teachers, nurses, police, etc.

I bet they are not paying Farang prices....................

You think they get lower prices at Big C, Tesco and the gasstation ?

No. but then I expect you knew that 'fixed prices' were excluded from my comment.

But for car service, general repairs/maintenance, dentists, hospitals etc, etc they are most likely paying less. If they go to national parks or local attractions they will be paying significantly less.

You are familiar with dual-pricing, I presume.

I bet they are not paying Farang prices....................

You think they get lower prices at Big C, Tesco and the gasstation ?

No. but then I expect you knew that 'fixed prices' were excluded from my comment.

But for car service, general repairs/maintenance, dentists, hospitals etc, etc they are most likely paying less. If they go to national parks or local attractions they will be paying significantly less.

You are familiar with dual-pricing, I presume.

Oh yes I am, and I realise that the venues where double pricing is practiced will account for approx 1% of the monthly budget, where the fixed prices that you mention will account for more than half of the budget imho.

For medical service, as a foreigner you're also allowed in the same hospitals that the Thai's attend, and ofcourse you will be charged a premium howver small, and again it accounts only for a small portion of the monthly budget.

As I said in a previous post, Thais don't have to pay their wifes or don't hang in the bar 12 hours a day.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Why are expats always comparing a Thai salary with Farangs ?

If you want to live like a Thai middle class , and only eat Thai food most of the week , share a small room and pay 3000 in rent , yes you can afford it with 28k per month if you like for your whole family!

But you are not a Thai , you need to keep your western habits , so forget it.

• Like 1

Your joking right ? 40k a month!!! More like 120-200k a month when you add eating out 7 days a week, shopping, bar bill nightly for the man 2k. The wife drinks water.

Villa staff costs 20k ,

Then bills such as car fuel ,

I've met people out here who say they live on 30k their lives are very fugal (right word ?)

I'd love to know how you accomplish that!

Renting a holidayhome for a month ??whistling.gif Before going home to save for another 11 months, so you can be the king again!!

• Like 2

the glory days of early 2000's I survived on B20k a month retainer when I first started working....good times indeed....not having much money made me appreciate it when I started to earn more

that was just me on my own and the occasional gf, mind you I was a young handsome man in those days with a car(provided by work) and a mobile phone so I suppose I looked the part....

if you not including rent then surely B40k a month is suffice for 1 person....as long as you not on the razz in the bars everyday then surely it has to be?

• Like 2