40K A Month Isn't Enough Anymore

balloon chaser

None of the Thai guys I know on the estate I live in are getting anywhere near 40k a month.

The combined wage of most Thai families I know is 24-28k a month.

Generally the wife seems to have a better education (degree) and wage (14k) than the man (10k).

This is in a middle class, Thai only, estate just outside CM, bank staff, office workers, teachers, nurses, police, etc.

Another really odd happening

When the men get paid, end of month, they are expected to bring their wage packet home, unopened, and hand it to their wife. She will then open the wage packet, count the money and hand the guy 200-400bht for him to spend. She keeps the rest to pay household bills.

In my experience the combined income of most middle-class Thai families is much higher today than 24-28K per month. It's closer to 40-50K or more. That's in Chiang Mai. Think about it, it costs what? 2K THB to fill a tank of gas on a truck twice a week. That's 16K per month just on gas, 2 kids in a half way decent school 3K per month, food, utilities, car payment.... Things have really changed in Thailand in the last 5 years, the cost of living is much higher and Thais are earning more money. Many do things on the side like selling stuff at all of the many street markets each week, selling Allianz or Amway, etc.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40k a month? absolutely NO sweat! it wouldn't compare to the lifestyle that many of us live (self included), but there is NO question about the doability of it.

cheap room, all bills and that includes internet well under 10k a month - i think in bkk if you live outside the center closer to 5 or 6 k. Somewhere around 3-4k for a room and 2k for leccy water and net.

that leaves over 1000 baht a day - you are not going to be painting the town red on that, but there are millions of thais and loads of foreigners in Thailand who live well and happily on that kind of budget.

Completely agree, however the lifestyle you want can be horribly affected by the lifestyle you can afford, however I guess it could work the other way too

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

the glory days of early 2000's I survived on B20k a month retainer when I first started working....good times indeed....not having much money made me appreciate it when I started to earn more

that was just me on my own and the occasional gf, mind you I was a young handsome man in those days with a car(provided by work) and a mobile phone so I suppose I looked the part....

if you not including rent then surely B40k a month is suffice for 1 person....as long as you not on the razz in the bars everyday then surely it has to be?

I would say that 30k a month without rent is fine,1,000 baht a day is ample for anyone,spend less in the week and more at weekends.
I think that could be done for a single person. But, what about medical insurance , savings etc, etc? I must be getting old
Running a car isn't cheap I understand and nor is electricity for many who are billed for it by the owner. If you cannot or will not cook then you have to pay for someone to do it too. By the time you add cable TV you cold be looking at 10K month

I would add one thing. I wouldn't be afraid to show up in LOS with 40k income if I was not only debt free, but if I had some backup savings, and enough cash to get set up. As for health insurance, it isn't available for older guys so I'd just hope to be able to get back to the US with my medicare advantage.

If I had enough cash to get completely established including wheels, insurance, rent costs up front, some small appliances and clothes and so on, I wouldn't be at all afraid.

I might not like the lifestyle as much as if I had more (which I would) but I have no doubt I could live just fine on 40.

• Like 1

I would add one thing. I wouldn't be afraid to show up in LOS with 40k income if I was not only debt free, but if I had some backup savings, and enough cash to get set up. As for health insurance, it isn't available for older guys so I'd just hope to be able to get back to the US with my medicare advantage.

If I had enough cash to get completely established including wheels, insurance, rent costs up front, some small appliances and clothes and so on, I wouldn't be at all afraid.

I might not like the lifestyle as much as if I had more (which I would) but I have no doubt I could live just fine on 40.

Spot on. I would also like to add that 40k (or any other value) is just a figure for the most part. What really counts is what you can get for 40k.

I too get free medical in the UK along with dental and eyecare though I do have some rather extensive travel insurance which covers me anywhere in the world as long as I do not exceed 3 months at a time in any country. As I have to do a bounce to Malaysia every 90 days I am covered (I checked) if I need anything.

I feel sorry for all the guys who have to pay for their wifes/GF.

I don't feel sorry for them at all.

They're idiots for getting into a relationship/marriage with a woman who requires a monthly stipend.

So you would only get into a relationship with a woman who has a job? Or are you one of those who believes a woman should be kept in the house and made to beg for some generosity from the master to allow her to go out and buy some clothes or have coffee with her friends?

I first came to Thailand in 1990 ... 40K was not enough then, 2013 it barely covers transport and fuel costs.

Agree that 40k barely covers fuel, transport costs. I reckon I am spending between 4-6k a week on fuel. Add in the other bits, n surface, tollways, ferry tickets and its soon gone.

You guys must do an awful lot of traveling/driving. We have 2 cars, Honda CRV & Jazz, and even after figuring in the insurance, gas, tolls etc we don't spend anywhere near B40,000 per month in transport and fuel costs.

I feel sorry for all the guys who have to pay for their wifes/GF.

I don't feel sorry for them at all.

They're idiots for getting into a relationship/marriage with a woman who requires a monthly stipend.

Indeed, but that is the only for them to have a wife or gf put up with them.

My gf works pays her share of the house and bills, I would not have it any other way then at least you know there is a bigger chance its real love.

Anyway 40k is enough for me, I don't have to live fugal on that but then again only paying a share of the bills not everything and not having to shell out for a rented gf / wife.

It also depends on your lifestyle, i spend a lot on quality food but don't go out drinking that much and never P2P. Paid cash for the car so no monthly finance bill same with my bikes. Sure I make more money then 40.. lot more.. but why spend it all.

• Like 1

I first came to Thailand in 1990 ... 40K was not enough then, 2013 it barely covers transport and fuel costs.

Agree that 40k barely covers fuel, transport costs. I reckon I am spending between 4-6k a week on fuel. Add in the other bits, n surface, tollways, ferry tickets and its soon gone.

You guys must do an awful lot of traveling/driving. We have 2 cars, Honda CRV & Jazz, and even after figuring in the insurance, gas, tolls etc we don't spend anywhere near B40,000 per month in transport and fuel costs.

Yes, unfortunately I do a lot of driving Bangkok - Koh Chang. I'm also figuring in insurance, tolls, etc. CRV as well.

The car issue is key here.

IMO just on principle you should design your life so you don't need a car.

The financial savings are a by-product.

Why if you live anywhere other than the tourist areas or Bangkok a car is a must have item, for me it's 50km to the supermarket or city and 10km to the hospital, local transport stops running at 5-6pm and doesn't extend to the village during the day.

If I couldn't do that I would be unhappy.

-

If circumstances were such that you had to make do on less, I would hope you'd find a way to still find happiness.

Just to give some perspective, some of the Jews waiting to be exterminated by the Nazis found ways to be happy.

are you the one who wanted to disappear without paying his bills?
  • Like 1

The car issue is key here.

IMO just on principle you should design your life so you don't need a car.

The financial savings are a by-product.

I spend less on my car than I did on taxis - and I prefer all that comes with it (convenience, freedom, comfort, safety for the kids, no hassles with drivers)so much that even if I spent somewhat more than I did on taxis, I'd still prefer it.

Balloon chaser

No offense but you are definitely not living in a normal Thai world. I live 35 minutes outside of Bangkok. Most of my neighbors either work in factories drive taxi's or work in Bangkok.

If it was not for the fact that I want to live a better life than a normal person I easily live on 20,000 baht a month.

My rent for a 3 bdrm row house is 3500 a month. My gf ,loves me and just wants to own her own house adn have security for later.

I think if yours wants more you need to decide what you are doing.

again no offense to anyone here the life you live is your choice just don't bitch and complain about it here.

• Like 2

40k might work in Chiang Mai but it will not work in Bangkok. a decent apt rent is 20k.

I dont rent any more ... my mortgage is 30k. and its a nice 2BR 3 bath with maids quarters just off sukumvit.

My wife and I need to pull in 125,000 to live the way we want to.

If we want a nicer car (and we do) and want to holiday in the States... we need more like 165,000.

when the kids come its gonna be more

You're right if you've got an impatient mercenary wife, wrong if she has faith you're going to turn thing around.

Right if she's young and cute, wrong if she's older and/or unattractive.

Right if she's been raised with high expectations, wrong if she's straight off the rice farm.

Right if you're fat and old or a miserable old git, wrong if you're young and hansum or she really really loves you (whatever meaning you attach to that ambiguous term).

Bottom line - too many variables to say, each girl makes her own decisions and sometimes depends on the time of the month or on what side of the bed she got up this morning.

Am I mistaken, but are you the same guy who started a long & slightly ridiculous discussion about whether &/or how you should leave the country without paying 14 months' rent? If so, you are surely not qualified to comment on anything?

• Like 2

Hi all,

well My wife, was working for a Workpoint entertainment, take home pay was 24K a month, she lived in a one room apartment, with air con, but couldn't afford to run it all the time, didn't run a car & wasn't doing much else but eat sleep & work.I have to admit I don't know what a middle class income would be, but for a couple on 28k, with kids etc, just can't see how they would survive.

As things stand right now, I would receive about 40k a month income from the rental of My house, after leaving a little aside for maintenance etc, I honestly don't think that would be enough to live a comfortable life,run a car etc

Am I mistaken, but are you the same guy who started a long & slightly ridiculous discussion about whether &/or how you should leave the country without paying 14 months' rent? If so, you are surely not qualified to comment on anything?

-

Some may say more qualified than most, having learned to live in the past few years on very very little.

Your opinion on my moral character may influence your objectivity about what I have to say, but that's your problem not mine.

None of the Thai guys I know on the estate I live in are getting anywhere near 40k a month.

The combined wage of most Thai families I know is 24-28k a month.

Generally the wife seems to have a better education (degree) and wage (14k) than the man (10k).

This is in a middle class, Thai only, estate just outside CM, bank staff, office workers, teachers, nurses, police, etc.

I bet they are not paying Farang prices though........

In the main, no need to pay farang prices, especially those that live in the "sticks".

I cannot see how any thai family with 2 kids and a combined income of 30k are living worry free , i know they eat thai food which is cheaper but everything else will be the same prices, grocerys, car, bills, school etc, the prices in thailand have gone up drastically in the last 5 years but wage hikes havent.

I would say that a famly need 60k to get by living month to month and 80k to live ok and save a little, anything under that and you are in constant financial worry