Death Toll For Songkran's Six Dangerous Days Hits 285

webfact

Death toll for Songkran's six dangerous days hits 285

1366187696887.jpg

BANGKOK, April, 17- The countrywide death toll during the first six of Songkran’s seven dangerous days is 285, higher than the same period last year, while the number of casualties has reached almost 2,800 persons.

Thailand's Road Safety Directing Center reported that there were 291 road accidents on the sixth day with 30 persons dead and 344 injured.

The accumulated number of road accidents from April 11-16 reached 2,581 with 285 people dead. Main reasons given for the accidents were drunk driving and driving without helmets.

The northern province of Chiang Mai has the highest number of road accidents and the most casualties, while Prachuab Kirikhan southwest of Bangkok has the highest number of deaths at 12.

Seven provinces that have not reported deaths are Chaiyaphum, Trat, Pattani, Phuket, Yala, Ranong, and Amnat Charoen.

Over 600,000 drivers violating traffic laws were charged, about 100,000 more arrests than last year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-17

Over 600,000 drivers violating traffic laws were charged, about 100,000 more arrests than last year.

That is big bucks for the BiB.

Wife's brother (quite rightly) was done for drink drinking. 10,000 Baht bail then a 4,000 Baht fine.

He was told that the local BiB were targeted to arrest 30 drunk drivers a day.

• Like 1

Over 600,000 drivers violating traffic laws were charged, about 100,000 more arrests than last year.

Wife's brother (quite rightly) was done for drink drinking. 10,000 Baht bail then a 4,000 Baht fine.

Do I see light at the end of the long dark tunnel?

Seems he was dealt with officially. I suppose at Songkran 30 drunk drivers a day isn't a very high target but how about those after number 30, back to the " on the spot " fines ?

Do I see light at the end of the long dark tunnel?

Just some bugger with a torch.

• Like 1

By stating the numbers charged have increased more than last year does not absolve the overall lack of policing. And I will bet these numbers are deliberately understated as those in critical condition whose demise may follow will not hit the list.

they count only the deads on the spot,the injured dying 10 minutes later in a taxi or hospital are not counted!

So these stats are BS

So best ignore the whole thing

strange that the so called police being on duty were not sighted in over 6 hours of driving apart from in towns and then all sitting around drinking or sleeping, I didnt see one patrol car on the highway at all. We were pulled up twice in Phuttalung ar should I say had to drive through a single lane although I did see about 6 cars on the side of the road but a new 4 wheel drive went opast us well over 100k about a km past that, obviouisly he paid the right amount to do what he pleased. Until the police aqctually start to pull up those running red lights, speeding, overtaking in the wrong lanes and abusing the rules in general this will never stop. The police need to do what they are paid for and it would also raise a sh*tload of money plus they could confiscate/ban the cars of the really bad ones and remove licences(those that have them) as well. Bikes could be made to wear helmets, use blinkers to indicate and be restricted to 2 to a bike, it will never happen but it is the only way to fix all of these deaths.

I drove for over 24 hours during the stated period. Fines will do no good. Driver mentality needs to be changed. Police behaviour needs to be changed. When people drive 1 foot away from you at 5am with fog lights blaring (this is the norm), or cut you up with a foot to spare, and/or undertake the Police at 140 kmph, the problem is serious. I know some very good Thai drivers, but there are far to many who need their vehicles impounded.

The roads are badly designed/maintained/policed, the drivers (a lot of them) are not fit to drive especialy asthey think they are playing an arcade game with no consequence. Banning seatbelts may help make people be more careful but imposing non negociable fines would be a good start also

By stating the numbers charged have increased more than last year does not absolve the overall lack of policing. And I will bet these numbers are deliberately understated as those in critical condition whose demise may follow will not hit the list.

they count only the deads on the spot,the injured dying 10 minutes later in a taxi or hospital are not counted!

How do you know this? Please tell.

How do you know this? Please tell.

This would make sense, as The Nation reports that there are up to 26,000 road deaths in a year (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html) which amounts to about 71 per day. That's more than the 47-48 per day on average during Songkran. So either the campaign is working really well, reducing traffic deaths to lower than the "normal" average, or there's something off with the numbers....