To Ile In Thailand With 11 Y Child In Private School

To try and answer your question correctly you will need to supply more information - what's the nationality of both you and your wife, what are you going to do here, how old are you? With this kind of information advice could be given

The child can apply for a visa based on education and can get extensions of stay based on that. One of the parents can be dependent of the child and can get a non-O visa and extensions of stay based on the child going to school in Thailand and having 500,000 baht in the bank.

The other parent will have to find his/her own reasons to stay in Thailand, such as study or work.

• Like 2

We are french and british nationals we are in our late 40 and the child is 11 the consulat suggested to get a student visa for the little one and I ll have a visa based on being with him as he is not over 18 and my wife will come on a visa depending on me, it looks a bit complicated on the other hand we have to have 20,000€ each parent in the thai bank. Or 40.000 in a joint account.

Has anyone heard of this.

Thanks a million

First of all the age is under 20 years old not 18.

Child gets extension with school paperwork under section 2.9 of immigration order 777/2551

One parent can get extension under section 2.11 with 500,000 baht in bank account here in Thailand - there is no alternation financial.

Second parent can not obtain spouse extension of stay under section 2.20 as 2.11 is exempt from allowing that so would need there own employment/study or other type reason for stay/extension.

• Like 1

Only 1 dependent is allowed per child. The other parent will have to find its own reason to stay in Thailand, such as work or study.

The consulate stated what was needed to get a visa from them, but the rules for getting an extension of stay in Thailand are different.

1. your child will get a 1 year ed visa

2. you get a non "o" non imm visa outside Thailand based on that an than in Thailand you get a 1 year extension ( put your 500,000 in the bank) your international school will provide you all the paperwork ( have many friends at BIS that go this route in Phuket).

3. have your wife go to school and learn Thai or.....and get a 1 year ed visa ( 25,000 or so for school and than the visa costs)

and ur all set.

Once your over 50 she can be tagged onto your visa if u go for the retirement extension. But will need 800,000 in the bank

For a 11 year old ( 5th grade) at BIS in Phuket it will cost ya

427,000 tuition/year an goes up each year to 519,000 ( for a junior /senior)

140,000 entrance fee ( non refundable) Once

100,000 refundable Endowment Once

33,000 lunch fee/year

Bangkok school will be more or less depending on which one you choose

Edited by phuketrichard

The school will be the internation school of samui my son will be regestred for next year. Regarding the money in the bank does it need to,be in baht or we can have it in euros and how much money exact need to be in the account for the visa for all of us.

Your unswers have been great help thanks to all of you and we are open to more advice.

ask the school as they will be able to give you all the info you need and the best advice.

I am pretty sure it needs be in a thai bank in Thai baht, 500,000 baht but as stated its only a visa for you,

your wife will need to find other methods with an ed visa the easiest.

Make sure it is a fully accredited International school by the ministry of education.

The school will be the internation school of samui my son will be regestred for next year. Regarding the money in the bank does it need to,be in baht or we can have it in euros and how much money exact need to be in the account for the visa for all of us. Your unswers have been great help thanks to all of you and we are open to more advice.

It needs to be in a bank account in Thailand but can be in a foreign currency account. However, that of course runs the risk of currency fluctuations and the money cannot become under 500,000 baht.

Your child doesn't need to show money in the bank, only the parent that will be his depend needs to show 500,000 in the bank in Thailand. The other parent if studying doesn't need to show money in the bank either.

Don't forget to obtain and keep carefully the form with each foreign bank incoming transaction. The THai bank branch should issue this to you. Very important if you want to take money out later. And make sure it is filled out correctly, get a Thai you can trust to read things for you.

Good luck

A good private British school in the UK sounds like the best for the child and the £ Why anyone would want to bring a child here to be educated buggers belief. I'm taking my girls back at the end of the month as I can't justify sacrificing there future education, just because I want to be here. We will have to simply make the most of our holidays and visit family in Thailand. I was a hard decision believe me.

• Like 1

A good private British school in the UK sounds like the best for the child and the £ Why anyone would want to bring a child here to be educated buggers belief. I'm taking my girls back at the end of the month as I can't justify sacrificing there future education, just because I want to be here. We will have to simply make the most of our holidays and visit family in Thailand. I was a hard decision believe me.

To answer the posters question the best visa to have is .... Malaysian ......I moved job and living to Malaysia to get better education for my kids Penang schools are great which is why many many Thais send their kids there , the results we got were great primary for my son and good higher for my daughter now at University in Malaysia .. not just education standards but growing up with a good peer group influences ...with values on reading , creative thinking not pressures on who has the new trainers , who can cheat or buy a qualification , or who can have more boyfriends and sex ..which were the peer pressures in Thailand , not to mention Xenophobia , and rampant racism ...for skin colour .. and PTA groups of the "make up and Mercedes brigade "

fast changing staff members ....and little stability My daughter never had the same teacher for more than 1 term . plus Cheaper in Malaysia and great value for money and achievements at a higher level are acceptable in the world market .. when quslifications from Thailand are given little credence in the global sense .

To answer the posters question the best visa to have is .... Malaysian ......I moved job and living to Malaysia to get better education for my kids Penang schools are great which is why many many Thais send their kids there , the results we got were great primary for my son and good higher for my daughter now at University in Malaysia .. not just education standards but growing up with a good peer group influences ...with values on reading , creative thinking not pressures on who has the new trainers , who can cheat or buy a qualification , or who can have more boyfriends and sex ..which were the peer pressures in Thailand , not to mention Xenophobia , and rampant racism ...for skin colour .. and PTA groups of the "make up and Mercedes brigade "

fast changing staff members ....and little stability My daughter never had the same teacher for more than 1 term . plus Cheaper in Malaysia and great value for money and achievements at a higher level are acceptable in the world market .. when quslifications from Thailand are given little credence in the global sense .

My experience too. My oldest daughter is studing A levels in KL. Her previous school in Ipoh was excellent - academically and also in the social and acitiviites areas. My younger daughter (6) is at a private school in Thailand. Took us a while to find a really good one. But, I will keep checking and if necessary move her to KL when older.

One tip, having lived in several countries, is don't confuse high charges with educational excellence. Some of the more expensive international schools are very average to say the least. My wife is an experienced teacher and has been shocked at some of the standards we've seen - at some very expensive schools too.

??

my daughter got a great education here in Phuket, spent 2 years at the Montessori school, than 7 at BIS and finished out at QSI an is currently carrying a 3.75 GPA at Sonoma state. :-)

Another positive i got from her is that many of her College classmates are very immature.

BUT on the back side, she did not enjoy living here in Phuket and most of her classmates were glad to get off the island, as there is nothing like the community for a kid growing up other than her /his classmates. Ko Samui would be worse than even Phuket.

No outside activities , no library, no museums, no art, nada

and they tend when they do go out to end up in bars and drinking and dope. as there are no alternatives unlike a western country

If is was for a short time it would be fine but i would not have raised my child on Samui

Edited by phuketrichard

The school will be the internation school of samui my son will be regestred for next year. Regarding the money in the bank does it need to,be in baht or we can have it in euros and how much money exact need to be in the account for the visa for all of us. Your unswers have been great help thanks to all of you and we are open to more advice.

Sad to say, the other negative quotes regarding schooling on Samui are accurate and correct..my son spent 6-7 years on Samui and attended Dulwich School (now closed), Greenhouse International (now closed) Open Gates (now closed) and finally ISS (formerly Bluewater)..In all cases the standard of teaching was mostly poor..there were a few good teachers, but many overnight TEFL qualification teachers and with the mix of different nationalities within the classes, the engine would only move as fast as the slowest cog..My sons education suffered greatly as a result..The turnover of staff at ISS was always high, as was the turnover of students...many because parents realised that their childs education was nothing like what it should be...ISS sells itself on its beautiful campus in a beautiful location and its modern structure..unfortunately, thats as good as it gets...I eventually took my son back to the UK for education, and found he was a long way behind with his studies..There seemed far too much focus on exercises like the christmas play, and beach cleaning etc at ISS and not enough on academic achievement..I wish you luck on Samui, but i'm pretty sure you will draw similar conclusions after a while

??

my daughter got a great education here in Phuket, spent 2 years at the Montessori school, than 7 at BIS and finished out at QSI an is currently carrying a 3.75 GPA at Sonoma state. :-)

Another positive i got from her is that many of her College classmates are very immature.

BUT on the back side, she did not enjoy living here in Phuket and most of her classmates were glad to get off the island, as there is nothing like the community for a kid growing up other than her /his classmates. Ko Samui would be worse than even Phuket.

and they tend when they do go out to end up in bars and drinking and dope. as there are no alternatives unlike a western country

If is was for a short time it would be fine but i would not have raised my child on Samui

How can you make such a comment regarding samui Have you lived here on a permanant basis,have you had a child in the International school if both the answers are yes then I would have to accept your argument but if it is hear say I ask that you should not believe everything you hear. I do not have any children however I do know some of the English Teachers at the school as well as friends who have children at the schoo; and from all accounts it is supposed to be very good. There are several private schools on the island on top of this there are plenty of things that one can do on the island other than drinking in a bar I can vouch for that having lived on the island for more than 4 years. One cannot compere the isalnd of Phuket and Samui as Phuket has a bridge/road onto the mainland and Samui is a true island where one has to catch a ferry boat Phuket is a lot bigger and has had a lot more investment thrown at it but the changes in Samui over the last 8 years has been immense we can boast good hospitals,dentists,schools as well as some good shopping and an array of fantastic beaches and if that is not enough you can always jump on the boat and visit Koh Phangan or Koh Tao Life is what you make it do not listen to tripe spewed up by others who may have had a bad experience go and see for yourself at the end of the day if it is not for you there is always the option to move on !!!!!!!!!!!

Many years ago I had 2 kids going to a Multi-Lingual school in a large town town up North. While not as expensive as International schools it was still expensive for what it was. The kids learned nothing much, the teachers turn over was high, and the quality was low but it all looked nice. After 3 years we took them out and they went to Thai school. They learned more(Believe it or not) and liked it better. Now their English suffered but in that multi-lingual was teaching bad English and bad Thai. At least their Thai caught up then we managed to get the English up to par when the oldest one started University in Bkk. In the end looking back that Multi-Lingual was a mistake.

concerning Samui; You did not read or understanding my comments at all;

BUT on the back side, she did not enjoy living here in Phuket and most of her classmates were glad to get off the island, as there is
nothing like the community for a kid growing up other than her /his classmates. Ko Samui would be worse than even Phuket.

I am not attacking Samui but am stating for Farang kids;

what do they do ( ages 14-18) that attend school there?

I made no comment as to the quality of the schools or teachers only extra curriculum activities available for them.

as far as shopping, entertainment etc, not close to what Phuket offers.

If u seriously think their not in bars than u don't really know what goes on with kids.

always jump on the boat and visit Koh Phangan

wow, great idea for ur 15 year old, send them to Ko Phangan for the full moon party!!!

Edited by phuketrichard

We have been to the consulat in france and they told us to get a student for the little one and the parents will have a year visa based on the kids visa and that we have to have 40.000€ in the account. I was wondering how the visa can be renewed because after reading few posts it says that what the consulats are saying is different from what the emmigration office says

Thanks