Seven-Day Songkran Death Toll Tops 300

webfact

Seven-day Songkran death toll tops 300

By Digital Media

13662652936697.jpg

BANGKOK, April 18 - The nationwide death toll during Songkran's seven days has risen to more than 300, according to Thailand's Road Safety Centre.

Deputy Interior Minister Pol Lt-Gen Chat Kuldilok said there were 247 road accidents yesterday with 36 persons dead and 257 injured.

The accumulated number of road accidents from April 11-17 reached 2,828 with 321 people dead and 3,040 injured. Main reasons of the accidents were drunken driving, followed by speeding.

Motorcycles are the vehicles with the highest number of accidents with high risk behaviour by not wearing helmets.

Most accidents occurred on national highways. The five provinces reporting no deaths at all are Chaiyaphum, Trat, Pattani, Phuket, and Ranong.

The northern province of Chiang Mai has the highest number of road accidents at 104 with the most casualties at 110, while Prachuab Khiri Khan, southwest of Bangkok, has the highest death rate with 12 dead.

Pol Lt-Gen Chat concluded the number of accidents and the number of casualties have decreased year-on-year, while the death toll slightly increased.

He said the Road Safety Centre will take such statistics for further analysis and prevention measures to help reduce road accidents during normal periods and holidays. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-18

What a pity the Road Safety Centre will be analyising flawed statistics as, for example, the death toll cannot be finalised but has been, just how many road accident victims are in hospital and may die from their injuries at a later date ? However the books are closed and they are not included. " Prevention measures to help reduce road accidents ", more government guff LOL. See you all again next year

• Like 1

I can tell you all now that there is no way I will be driving out during Songkran again. Went from BKK out to the in-laws and Chaiyaphum for the long weekend and it has to of been one of the stupidest things I've ever done. The roads are normally crazy enough but they all surely come out of the woodwork for Songkran.

It's quite sobering thinking that one year someone I know, my kids or even me could be part of these statistics. sad.png

How many foreigners in this thread will now say, 'Don't care about the statistics, I had a great laugh'? bah.gif

Perhaps you had better start worrying about the other 360 days of the year when accidents and deaths are about on par with Songkran, only less well publicized!
  • Like 1

It's quite sobering thinking that one year someone I know, my kids or even me could be part of these statistics. sad.png

How many foreigners in this thread will now say, 'Don't care about the statistics, I had a great laugh'? bah.gif

Perhaps you had better start worrying about the other 360 days of the year when accidents and deaths are about on par with Songkran, only less well publicized!

Seems to me that is what these stats show.

Drive on these roads everyday of every year. I fancy my chances before and after Songkran thanks

Of course they do. Look at the headline

Of course they do. Look at the headline

It doesn't appear statistically worse than every other day of the year.

@ T.A.H

You know, I'm inclined to agree with you but can we get accurate stats for road accidents and deaths for the other 51 weeks of the year?

I know these figures (accurate maybe not) relate to Songkran and most probably other times of the year aren't as well publicised but I still prefer driving before and after Songkran. Less boozed up teenagers and adults for that fact and no crowds!

Edited by youngXpat

So, and the alcohol ban did not work? Must be such a surprise to everyone... sad.png

What happened to the nationwide ban on throwing water from pick ups? Or was that an April fool thing?

It was an April fool thing, actually the consumption of alcohol on pick ups is more seriously restricted in some areas.

@ T.A.H

You know, I'm inclined to agree with you but can we get accurate stats for road accidents and deaths for the other 51 weeks of the year?

I know these figures (accurate maybe not) relate to Songkran and most probably other times of the year aren't as well publicised but I still prefer driving before and after Songkran. Less boozed up teenagers and adults for that fact and no crowds!

Take the high of 26000 as talked of recently, 71 per day * 7 is 500. So they maybe ahead, but of course, this stat they have now, measures only those dead in the last 7 day not 30, as the ready rest of the world measures it.

Just think how many serious accidents every day in Bangkok alone. 5 to 10 dead every day easily. Highways, another 20. Throw in the major cities, another 20.

The reality is that beyond a few road in Bangkok and going east, the rest are basic highways going through villages and towns.

3 a day in every province makes 200+ per day. It is nowhere beyond the realms of possibility that 500 in 7 days is normal figures. 3 is one loaded motorcycle delivering kids to school every day. That is all. One pick up accident, half a bus.

Do i reckon the province I live in has 3 deaths on the road per day. For the whole province, 13 is possible on normal days. Every farmer on his bike, every idiot kid, every new red plated driver, 13 is very feasible.

Edited by Thai at Heart

So, and the alcohol ban did not work? Must be such a surprise to everyone... sad.png

What happened to the nationwide ban on throwing water from pick ups? Or was that an April fool thing?

Exactly... The problem is it needs Policing.

jb1

The northern province of Chiang Mai has the highest number of road accidents at 104 with the most casualties at 110

No surprises there... one wouldn't expect anything less when it's strung out for an entire week! As previous, to curtail the deaths, make it one day ONLY and have the cops jump on those sans helmets. Yeah, right. Mai pen rai & sanuk will win every time.

@ T.A.H

Take the high of 26000 as talked of recently, 71 per day * 7 is 500. So they maybe ahead, but of course, this stat they have now, measures only those dead in the last 7 day not 30, as the ready rest of the world measures it.

Just think how many serious accidents every day in Bangkok alone. 5 to 10 dead every day easily. Highways, another 20. Throw in the major cities, another 20.

The reality is that beyond a few road in Bangkok and going east, the rest are basic highways going through villages and towns.

3 a day in every province makes 200+ per day. It is nowhere beyond the realms of possibility that 500 in 7 days is normal figures. 3 is one loaded motorcycle delivering kids to school every day. That is all. One pick up accident, half a bus.

Do i reckon the province I live in has 3 deaths on the road per day. For the whole province, 13 is possible on normal days. Every farmer on his bike, every idiot kid, every new red plated driver, 13 is very feasible.

I see what you are getting at as those figures (sort of) add up. But there are also many scenarios, like deaths occurring after the incident not contributing to these stats. And of course this could work both ways. Be interesting to see exact figures, ALL year round for death tolls both at the scene and as a result of a R.T.A

@ T.A.H

I see what you are getting at as those figures (sort of) add up. But there are also many scenarios, like deaths occurring after the incident not contributing to these stats. And of course this could work both ways. Be interesting to see exact figures, ALL year round for death tolls both at the scene and as a result of a R.T.A

Well it's their stats. 12 is the highest reported death rate in a given province, and they give a total.

Either the numbers are completely fake, or they are no larger than average. In fact considering the amount of traffic, per head of traveler or km they are probably better than the average.

Seems the bib have succeeded only in giving themselves a target to hit for the other 359 days per year.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Went to six parties over the period (the Mrs drives), did not see ONE cop, not ONE. coffee1.gif

I saw a few police men in my neighborhood but they were just as drunk as everyone else. They were nice enough to let some of the cats out of the bag but in general did nothing to lower things here.

If there are 70 odd provinces, the highest is 12 in a week, surely most of the stats are barely above average?

Most parts of bangkok alone must average one a day every day? Every major city must have one a day every day?

Ahhhhh... but you don't have the expertise to calculate the correct figure.. The Interior Ministry has experts fine tuning the stats, and surely they won't just pull some figure out of their ass, will they? coffee1.gif

If there are 70 odd provinces, the highest is 12 in a week, surely most of the stats are barely above average?

Most parts of bangkok alone must average one a day every day? Every major city must have one a day every day?

Ahhhhh... but you don't have the expertise to calculate the correct figure.. The Interior Ministry has experts fine tuning the stats, and surely they won't just pull some figure out of their ass, will they? coffee1.gif

Which makes the whole discussion pointless.

Yup. The numbers are probably all <deleted>.

And i promise never to debate 20 mn tourists or not in Thailand.

I think the figured stated are incorrect. The Bangkok Post stated that last year, the dead & injured total was 27,881 between April 11-17.

I can't see the huge drop in numbers to 3,361 being accurate, more like creative accounting I think.

There were more than 222,000 caught without a helmet & 232,000 without a licence, all at road blocks so imagine the real numbers without a licence in this country.

It would be in the millions out of a population of approx. 68,000,000 if 232,000 were caught t road blocks only over 7 days

Based on the report World health organization Global status report on road safety 2013, the average number of reported deaths per day in Thailand is around 37, while the WHO's own estimate using statistical regression is at 72.

The 321 reported deaths over the Songkran 7-day period is 46 per day, which is 25% higher than the aforementioned average number of deaths per day.

If we do a rough extrapolation based on WHO's estimate then an average 90 deaths per day might be a more realistic value over this 7-day period, or 632 deaths in total.