Oil Filters

What are filters running in Bangkok these days? I change my oil religiously (that means regularly, not while wearing a monk's robe;)) and like to have them on-hand.

I received 2 K&N #303 filters today (the ones with the 17mm nut on top that make them easy to remove and torque down) off eBay for 550 baht each (from the UK- free shipping and no customs charge)- I'd like to buy a few more, but I'd rather get them locally if the price is comparable.

I also got 10 crush washers for the drain plug as I have a feeling they'll be hard to find here.

I live in Pattaya and it's hard to find a wholesale place that has big bike parts. A neighbour told me to go to the small bike wholesale place......but no luck!

I was thinking it maybe worth a try importing a couple of Chinese filters.

I need K&N 204 oil filters and there bloody dear in Oz. Like the genuine Honda ones.

I imported 2 boxes with daytime running lights the other week and didn't get clipped by customs. They came by post.

I will check but thougt/assumed they were oem

I've been here too long to assume a shop is doing the right thing...;)

Also please let me know if they have the nut on top or if an oil filter wrench has to be used- being able to use a socket and torque wrench makes the job so much easier.

Hmmm... for 200 baht that would be a good deal- I'd miss that nut, though- I've got a friend coming in from the Staes soon- maybe I'll make him bring me some of the K&N filters, which will be cheaper there (and I've heard they make a longer one that will fit my bike, which means a bigger filtration portion, but I can't find the number).

Thanks for taking the pic.

Edited by RubberSideDown

K&N oil filters are nowhere near as good as OEM and I wouldn't let them near any of my vehicles.

Really? Backed up by what evidence besides your opinion? OEM filters tend not to be of the highest quality- that's why aftermarket filters exist in tne first place.

I'd say they are as good or better than anything else available, and they're more convenient to use.

K&N oil filters are nowhere near as good as OEM and I wouldn't let them near any of my vehicles.

Actually I would like to say that the opposite is more the truth. In most cases an original oil or air filter is made to stay within a budget. While, especially the quality brands of alternative brands, offer more performance products.

Of course you have copies of some high end aftermarket oil- and air-filters, and not all aftermarket filters you can buy are top of the line as some cheap products are being sold...

But if you buy a quality product from an official source, like the Thai distributor you can be sure you get the genuine product. Often people complain about products they bought on eBay and not even realizing that they had received a fake product...

I got my filters from the UK from a place with tens of thousands of positive feedback ratings off eBay- I think they were legit;)

Sure, not all eBay sellers are cheats, but if you find a seller who sells something like K&N oil filters for most popular motorcycles per box of 12 for a price that is unbelievable low... You probably better of not doing business... K&N filters are made in the USA or the UK and need to be imported into China, so if somebody in China sells them of a fraction of the official price its very fishy... and likely not a genuine product...

You would say how many people will buy something like that from a trader like that... surprisingly a lot...

yep i have heard this mentioned before with oil filters and tend to agree with it.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yep i have heard this mentioned before with oil filters and tend to agree with it.

Heard it where, and based on what?

I'm not a K&N rep and would happily use another filter, but- having poked around on the net looking at reviews- I can't really find anything that backs up your opinion.

The only interesting thing I saw was a site showing hacked up filters, and the K&N seemed to have the most pleats (meaning largest surface area) in its filtration section.

I'm sure there are other good filters, but what makes K&N 'bad'?

Here's a review from a supposedly expert mechanic who recommends the K&N bike filters:

http://www.ehow.com/video_5537463_reviewing-motorcycle-engine-oil-filters.html

Would like to hear how the K&N oil filters are less than the OEM?

Performance of an oil filter is normally measured by the smallest particle size it filters out and the rate of resisting the oil flow at engine operating temperature. So far as the oil filters I use from K&N they outperform the OEM oil filters by resisting the oil flow much less than the OEM and stop much smaller particles in the oil than the OEM filter...

OEM filters are made to meet Kawasaki's minimum required specs and are supplied by the lowest bidder- if they were the 'best' then there would be no market for other brands (especially as the filters are usually more expensive in the aftermarket).

As I mentioned, the nut on the K&N filter is a real selling point for me, but if there's actual evidence of them being inferior to OEM filters I'd like to see it.

Performance of an oil filter is normally measured by the smallest particle size it filters out and the rate of resisting the oil flow at engine operating temperature. So far as the oil filters I use from K&N they outperform the OEM oil filters by resisting the oil flow much less than the OEM and stop much smaller particles in the oil than the OEM filter...

cant remember where i read it and not saying its a fact but when researching the internet i came across it somewhere,why are they not as good i dont know but richards post above states the k&n restrict the oil flow more,maybe thats the reason cant see why you want to restrict the oil flow more than the manufacturer recomends,jmo

cant remember where i read it and not saying its a fact but when researching the internet i came across it somewhere,why are they not as good i dont know but richards post above states the k&n restrict the oil flow more,maybe thats the reason cant see why you want to restrict the oil flow more than the manufacturer recomends,jmo

You misread his post- he said it restricts the oil flow much less than the OEM filter.

Performance of an oil filter is normally measured by the smallest particle size it filters out and the rate of resisting the oil flow at engine operating temperature. So far as the oil filters I use from K&N they outperform the OEM oil filters by resisting the oil flow much less than the OEM and stop much smaller particles in the oil than the OEM filter...cant remember where i read it and not saying its a fact but when researching the internet i came across it somewhere,why are they not as good i dont know but richards post above states the k&n restrict the oil flow more,maybe thats the reason cant see why you want to restrict the oil flow more than the manufacturer recomends,jmo

You misread his post- he said it restricts the oil flow much less than the OEM filter.

my mistake on reading his post again it doesnt really make sense how can the tne filter increase oil flow but filter smaller particles at the same time,if its made of a denser material it will catch smaller particles but you would think this would also restrict oil flow to, as said dont really know just something i have heard, maybe wong knows more

I saw the info on a site produced by an engineer who does all kinds of stuff with oil, filters, etc. If I remember correctly, the flow is higher than OEM fitlers because their filter material is too porus and doesn't filter the smaller stuff as well as OEM filters.

I've nothing against K&N (I use their air filters on one of my bikes), but just saying that I wouldn't use their oil filters based on an engineer's advice as well as fellow riders' experiences and thoughts.

Edited by Wong!

K&N has a official dealer in Bangkok, which sales motorcycle (including big bike) filters, they are called FAST CORNERnoweb.pngno_inst.png and you can contact them at 02-285-3856

I am confused is their Office their sales outlet or is Head Office their sales outlet?

Office

396-14-15 Abingdon Road Works Rivas Rajanagarindra Chong Yanawa 10120.

Head Office.

396-14-15 Narathivajrachanakarin, Rd.,.

Chongnontri, Yanava,.

Bangkok 10120.

K&N has a official dealer in Bangkok, which sales motorcycle (including big bike) filters, they are called FAST CORNERnoweb.pngno_inst.png and you can contact them at 02-285-3856

I am confused is their Office their sales outlet or is Head Office their sales outlet?

Office

396-14-15 Abingdon Road Works Rivas Rajanagarindra Chong Yanawa 10120.

Head Office.

396-14-15 Narathivajrachanakarin, Rd.,.

Chongnontri, Yanava,.

Bangkok 10120.

They have a showroom and a office on the same address... http://www.fastcorner.co.th/contact.php