Numismatics - Where To Buy Rare Coins In Pattaya?

FarangFB

I suggest you consider this auction in Bangkok. Looking through the past auctions will also give you a good idea of pricing ... the better things in certified slabs general run from Baht 30,000 to several hundred thousand.

Use this link http://www.eurseree.com/ click on "auction catalogs" , then use the drop down menu under "categories" to find coins. You can also use the drop down 'old catalogue" to check past sales.

They just had an auction in March and the next will be in June. I've dealt with them for several years, both buying and selling, and they are quite reliable. In Pattaya I doubt you'll find much and I would strongly recommend you not buy rare Thai (or Chinese) coins unless they're slabbed and graded by NGC or PCGS. A lot of fakes around.

There are also good dealers along Charoen Krung Road near the Post Office in Bangkok.

Here's an example of a slabbed coin that sold in March that fetched Baht 820,000., but don't worry there are many coins going for much less, including the second coin that went for Baht 8600.

post-145917-0-93070600-1366468484_thumb.

post-145917-0-96603500-1366469146_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I suggest you consider this auction in Bangkok. Looking through the past auctions will also give you a good idea of pricing ... the better things in certified slabs general run from Baht 30,000 to several hundred thousand.

Use this link http://www.eurseree.com/ click on "auction catalogs" , then use the drop down menu under "categories" to find coins. You can also use the drop down 'old catalogue" to check past sales.

They just had an auction in March and the next will be in June. I've dealt with them for several years, both buying and selling, and they are quite reliable. In Pattaya I doubt you'll find much and I would strongly recommend you not buy rare Thai (or Chinese) coins unless they're slabbed and graded by NGC or PCGS. A lot of fakes around.

There are also good dealers along Charoen Krung Road near the Post Office in Bangkok.

Here's an example of a slabbed coin that sold in March that fetched Baht 820,000., but don't worry there are many coins going for much less, including the second coin that went for Baht 8600.

Thanks for the reply, but actually my collection is much more "amateur" than these coins, costing thousands of times less than these super rare coins.

I'm actually collecting the special editions of the regular 10 baht coins used in Thailand. These are limited commemorative 10b coins that I've been buying from 20b to 50b each, so it's more likely that they're available in small shops or even street markets.

todos-los-10-baht-a.jpg

Thanks for the reply, but actually my collection is much more "amateur" than these coins, costing thousands of times less than these super rare coins.

I'm actually collecting the special editions of the regular 10 baht coins used in Thailand. These are limited commemorative 10b coins that I've been buying from 20b to 50b each, so it's more likely that they're available in small shops or even street markets.

Well, if you enjoy the "chase" you might check the various local open markets as suggested. I expect your best bet would still be in Bangkok at the shops along Charoen Krung Rd or Chatuchuk weekend market.

And every Sunday at the GPO on Charoen Krung there has been a stamp and coin market. I think at the moment there is construction work going on at that post office, but imagine the market still operates on Sunday. It's a mixture of amateur collectors and small scale dealers.

My wife says she has double stamped and triple stamped 10 baht coins. Rarity would depend on quality control at the stamping plant. Last line left to your immagination...

Actually the quality control has been quite good. However there are a few well-known "mistakes" of earlier coins, including double-obverse or double-reverse, that were deliberately produced. One example I had was slabbed and graded by NGC, but the local auction house wouldn't handle it (although I sold it to a collector in the US for several hundred dollars).

Sunday stamp and coin market at Charoen Krung P.O.

post-145917-0-32921500-1366515892_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Well, if you enjoy the "chase" you might check the various local open markets as suggested. I expect your best bet would still be in Bangkok at the shops along Charoen Krung Rd or Chatuchuk weekend market.

And every Sunday at the GPO on Charoen Krung there has been a stamp and coin market. I think at the moment there is construction work going on at that post office, but imagine the market still operates on Sunday. It's a mixture of amateur collectors and small scale dealers.

Thanks again, this Bangkok open market seems quite interesting. I have a feeling that the last coins for my collection will have to be bought there.

There is a "used /second hand" market located on Thep Prasit road that opens around 6 pm every night. I have seen several vendors selling coins there. If you enter Thepprasit road from Sukhumvit road procede down Thepprasit about 1 km until you come to the Thai Oil station, which will be on the right. The market is directly oppisite on the left.

There used to be a shop in south Pattaya that sold such things. It was located next to the market near Wat chai on south Pattaya road. It was on the left hand side of the soi that used to be home to Hollywood disco.

It could very well still be there but it's been a few years since I looked.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Edited by Jayman

There used to be a few stalls selling old thai notes & niknaks on the top floor of Mikes. They've 'refurbed' Mikes so I don't know if they are still there

I have to look no further. This shop is still there at 4th floor of Mike shopping mall and is perfect. The lady selling was very kind, polite, knew the coins and gave me a discount on the coins.

The old shop in south pattaya is the quite the opposite, the lady barely looked at the pictures of the coins I showed her and replied "no have", and I only got a few coins there because the boss saw the pictures and called me back before I left. Had I known before I'd buy all my coins at this shop at Mike's.

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a coin collector living in Chonburi... I m selling a few ; feel free to email me at xxxx if interested.

Romain

Edited by Rimmer
email removed as per forum rules, pls use PM system