Sheep

I've had a few sheep, they do fine.

Sheep like to browse just like Goats, they will browse your trees and everything else to about a Metre high and leave the grass alone. if the trees are tall and established then it's no problem.

most people see sheep in a pastoral setting eating grass as far as the eye can see. no trees, no bushes, nothing but grass. The sheep made it that way, be careful

Edited by apache9441

Sheep like to browse just like Goats, they will browse your trees and everything else to about a Metre high and leave the grass alone. if the trees are tall and established then it's no problem.

most people see sheep in a pastoral setting eating grass as far as the eye can see. no trees, no bushes, nothing but grass. The sheep made it that way, be careful

What do you think about this then. Hua Hin 2013, "show sheep".

post-70928-0-16211500-1367038903_thumb.j

Poor animals. They were too hot and there was no vegitation to browse.

hi all .mr dancealot you seam to have passion for the sheep .maybe i will get you some gumboots and have a farmers meeting in newzealand rgds russell:D

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Even if you dont have my size, i feel i'll fit right in, Mr. Russel biggrin.png .

Cheers!

• Like 1

Isn't it too hot for sheep here?

Wouldn't be heat alone! The high humidity and disease is a major factor. My extended family have had a sheep station near Tipoburra (Broken Hill) NSW Australia for 3 generations now. Not many places on Earth hotter and more unforgiving than there and the sheep survive very well.

Isn't it too hot for sheep here?

Wouldn't be heat alone! The high humidity and disease is a major factor. My extended family have had a sheep station near Tipoburra (Broken Hill) NSW Australia for 3 generations now. Not many places on Earth hotter and more unforgiving than there and the sheep survive very well.

Incredible! Mr. Bdenner

I guess the thick coat works also for keeping the heat out. Didn't realize this....

Friend of mine ran a few head of sheep in the high humidity area. He told about noticing the wool turning a green color, upon closer look, the grass/weed seeds were sprouting from the wool. As he noted another expermental failure.

They do not look too happy on floorboards all day, no green pasture to frollic in and lay in wait with come hither look for kiwi farming gents.

Another sheep station http://www.sheeplandkhaoyai.com/main.asp

Wonderful!clap2.gifclap2.gif

I would like to go there.smile.png This has just been aded to my to do list in Thailand!

Have you ever been there?

Edited by Dancealot

They do not look too happy on floorboards all day, no green pasture to frollic in and lay in wait with come hither look for kiwi farming gents.

Another sheep station http://www.sheeplandkhaoyai.com/main.asp

Wonderful!clap2.gifclap2.gif

I would like to go there.smile.png This has just been aded to my to do list in Thailand!

Have you ever been there?

Yes, I have been in many a field with cute sheep and the look.

• 7 months later...

Ok Quindalup ignore all the gumboot jokes. There are some sheep in Thailand, but not many because of the humidity, the parasite problem and flies in the denser woolled varieties. If you live in the north where it's a bit cooler you have a better chance . You can graze them under trees, and unlike goats they don't climb as much and providing they have good grass they won't ringbark the trees like goats. You do need good fencing. Orchards are quite good with them, but they will sometimes get tangled if they are in full wool .

Go for the breeds that are taller,have less wool on their legs, and look a bit more like goats. Goats are hardier and adapt better to different climates, but they are also wanderers and will climb over fences and eat just about anything including your favourite plants. Sheep will graze grass down to bare earth as like goats they only have a bottom set of teeth and will pull the short grass out. They thrive better where the grass is drier and there is more seed rather than green grass which often gives them the shits and has less nourishment. You will need to shear them once a year. and maybe drench them for worms if it's a wet year. I don't know how much land you have but start with a small number. PM me if you would like more info.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think about this then. Hua Hin 2013, "show sheep".

attachicon.gifIMG_6334 (1000 x 562).jpg

Poor animals. They were too hot and there was no vegitation to browse.

It's called "grazing" not browsing. :) Move away from your computer.

• Like 1

hi all .mr dancealot you seam to have passion for the sheep .maybe i will get you some gumboots and have a farmers meeting in newzealand rgds russell:D

You must be of Greek origin

No no, Greeks browse their chickens....allegedly.

Regards, Christadoulou.

• Like 2

No no, Greeks browse their chickens....allegedly.

Regards, Christadoulou.

You've still got the RIR's on your mind, this is the sheep thread.

Funny, Canadalaugh.pngthumbsup.gif So you can't be Canadian.tongue.png