Disabling Wifi

femi fan

I have wifi operating at home. I would like to be able to turn it on and off from my main computer. My assumption is that when i turn it off i can still use the internet on my main computer which is connected to the router.

Is there a nice simple way to do this from my mac desktop? Thus far i have been unable to find a way.

If your computer is connected via cable then yes you still can use the network.

If its a Airport device you can turn it off with the software comes with the OS "Airport utility" if not its depend on what router you use.

Or you mean turn off the wifi connection on your pc ?

My main computer is connected to the router and cable through the landline phone.

I assume that yes, i can, and would like to, turn off the wifi connection on my main computer so that other computers and devices in my house cannot access the internet... i have a teenage daughter who seems to have become overly addicted to the internet!

I was hoping to not go through my router setup because it always baffles me. Indeed, i've just typed in my IP address and it 'fails to open the page'.

Surely there's something on the mac somewhere allowing me to turn off the wifi connection while still being able to use the internet myself?

I tried turning off the airport device, but i was still able to connect to the internet on my laptop through the wifi set up.

Thanks for the help so far!

well if you do have apple Wireless hardware

such as a Airport express/ airport extreme / or a time capsule

you can do this things really easy with your mac.

or simply have "timed access" active for your daughters MAC:ID

see attached picture.

some non-apple hardware do support this features as well but if you not want any hazzle, get an airport.

post-10896-0-29105100-1366524706_thumb.p

Edited by nullx8

Not sure if I am getting your question correctly, but if you just want to switch off wifi on your Mac desktop, just click the Airport icon in your menu bar (the icon with the signal bars). A drop down menu will appear with an option for "Turn WiFi Off". Select that, then your data will be routed through the ethernet connection to your router.

It sounds like your want to be able to turn off the wifi to me and remain connected trough your ethernet cable to you wifi router. Pretty easy, unless you have changed you router's IP address. The normal default address is: 192.168.1.1 Type that address into you browser. You probably should turn off your computer's wifi before doing that though and make sure you can access the internet through you ethernet cable. Once you access your router, go to wifi and disable wifi. You must know your router name and password to do this! And it can only be done through the router's software on most routers. Although I did just notice on the 3 BB router there is a WLAN switch on the side of it that turns off the wifi. On one router it looks like this:

post-44146-0-54233900-1366544326_thumb.p

On a 3BB router it looks like this:

post-44146-0-83540500-1366544349_thumb.p

Edited by Jimi007