Reset Linksys Router Now Won't Work

MisterMan

Hi my flatmate and I wanted to change the password on our wireless connection as the neighbors had our old password.

We did a HARD reset, turned it on and off etc and now it won't work.

THe modem / router thing is Billion

The software interface is Tomato.

We called TOT, our provider but as the internet connection with the line is working the support could not help us.

I have looked at wiki how and it says go to teh software and hit reset to default but Tomato does not have that setting.

We changed the password but I think it was just the admin password and not the wireless. As you can see I need help and need my connection. Sending this one from the office.

Linkysys WRT54GL is the wireless box.

We changed the Name of the connection and we can obvioulsy access the software wtih the 168. etc,,

Thank you.

Hi - Thanks for the quick replies.

WE can use 192.168.1.1. and it goes to our Tomato set up page if that makes sense.

Ah never mind we just got the solution.. the roomate fixed it. Thanks again !!!!clap2.gif

The Solution:
: Quick and dirty and assuming the Billion has an ethernet interface not USB.

Plug your PC into the Linksys (one of the 4 switch ports), do NOT connect anything else.

Using your browser go to 192.168.1.1 (that's the default of the Linksys) and log in (Admin, Admin IIRC).

In the Linksys:-
Disable DHCP
Change its IP address to 192.168.1.2

Plug your Billion into another of the switch ports.

Should now work with no wireless security, check it does then set up the WiFi security.

With this arrangement you are using the Linksys as an access point rather than a router.

• 2 weeks later...

HI the internet is workign terribly, so we must have done something terrible. The computers won't connect, I had to reset my ipad to "detect proxy auotmatic" which seemed to do the trick even though I have no idea what I am doing.

Also torrent no longer works.

The computers worked yesterday but not today.

Don't even know where to start.

Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Power cycle (turn off, wait 1 minute, turn on) the router and computers.

Please enhance this power cycling.

Please bear in mind this will clear ALL your configuration, so make sure you have your set-up details for your connection, etc.

Firstly you need to make sure you have cleaned your NVRAM. To do this log in. Go to Administration --> Configuration. The last option here is a drop down menu "Restore Default Configuration". Use this. Select "Erase all data in NVRAM memory".

Once this is run you need to do the following.

Press the reset button in and hold. After 30 seconds, with the button still held, unplug the power. Count to 30. With the reset button STILL IN plug the power back in and hold for 30 seconds.

Now you are back at a COMPLETELY vanilla setting.

You have 2 paths here. One is use the standard tomato configuration. This is best for range. I have tested numerous custom versions of Tomato and the stock version does have the best range. Set-up your connection and test it is working. Now use your chosen security key on the Basic settings. You can ensure your neighbours don't get on by using Access Restriction and defining your MAC addresses in a list using the following settings:

Schedule "All Day" "Every Day"

Normal Access Restriction

All except

List your MAC addresses.

Even if somebody gives out your password it is useless for using the internet as their device needs to be in this list.

With this done you can be 95% sure that the problem lies elsewhere. Unfortunately a router on the blink acts just like an internet connection issue for most users. This is easy to test. Just plug your computer directly into the modem and check your connection. If everything is good then you have a dying router.

Path 2

Use custom firmware. Tomato RAF Firmware v1.28.8515 _RAF ND Std @ http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/which-mod-for-wrt54gl.37022/ is really well set-up for internet connection sharing. The QoS settings are brilliant too. Torrents will work well, but will be throttled to allow for surfing, gaming, skype, im, etc. I have this on a router sharing an internet connection with over 20 users and they have reported increased stability and speed.

I do have some more answers, but this really is a great shortcut. To install another custom firmware you will need to restore the stock firmware first then move onto the custom firmware. Please ask if you need any more information.

---EDIT---

Original link for RAF Firmware was dead. Found new link.

Edited by draftvader

I have gone through 2 linksys routers here in LOS in the space of about 3 years, was getting the same problem, sometimes connect, sometimes not. I now use D-Link, does not 'look' as good as the linksys, but IMO performs much better.

I have gone through 2 linksys routers here in LOS in the space of about 3 years, was getting the same problem, sometimes connect, sometimes not. I now use D-Link, does not 'look' as good as the linksys, but IMO performs much better.

Which D-Link are you using?

• Like 1