Indian Visa

Cool, any idea of documentation needed for a tourist visa? I have heard they can be very burecratic.

If it's just a tourist visa you are after, at worst you might have to show an itinerary and/or plane ticket. I suppose, as with many visa applications, a lot may depend on your nationality.

http://www.visatoindia.com/visa-information-thailand.html

It's actually several months ago when I went to the embassy to get a tourist visa for my Israeli boss. I vaguely remember I brought only application form, her passport, 2 photos, and money. The embassy will not keep your passport. You'll have to bring the passport back for affixing visa after four working days. No hassles. Just a long wait at the embassy.

Thanks all.

Took the plunge and they accepted the application without any need for additional info. As a Thai PP holder, the turnaround is 24 hours, so in my case they kept the passport. Most others have a 5 day turnaround, other than those who can clearly show they have been resident in Thailand for 3+ years, who get 'local' treatment.

i would advise getting up into the himalaya before the monsoon and to avoid th eheat now which can be C40. dont bother with any of the touristy spots it will really sour you fast on india. i realize you will come back and everyone will ask if youve been here/there - but its just better to avoid anything that has least bit of tourism interest. the big cities are filthy. think cambodia x5. india can be a great adventure but you really have to work at it and that means staying off the tourist trail.

fyi: indians do not like 'chinese' and i dont think theyll make a distinction although theyre are a number of japanese roaming about these years. finally, stay clear of backpacker food joints and eat local (in the dhabas) - they will make you sick sure as i write this. 'chinese' food is gross and you will quickly want for thai food :-).

dont be in any rush when you arrive and same rules for farang here apply for you there 100 fold. indians in the tourist racket can be very decietful and downright dishonest. iif you cant see it and touch it, dont believe it.

ive spent much time in india and know what im talking about.

good luck and do get to the buddhist north (ladakh/leh).