If Thais Don't Prepare Their Communication Skills Now, They Will Struggle When A E C Takes Off

webfact

Learning languages of region is critical
Wannapa Khaopa
The Nation

30204441-01_big.jpg

Experts warn if Thais don't prepare their communication skills now, they'll struggle when the AEC takes off

BANGKK: -- Learn the languages of our neighbouring countries today or be losers tomorrow. This is not an overstatement given that the Asean Economic Community (AEC) is going to create one economic community for citizens from 10 countries.

Although some Thais living along the borders can use their neighbours' languages, this is not enough to brace for human and business flows in the region, which will bring changes to Thailand and build strong relationships with people from other Asean nations.

Educators whose task is to help students and other Thai people enhance their foreign language skills urged Thais to start learning their neighbours' languages along with improving their English now, otherwise they would probably find themselves late.

"If we don't learn how to communicate with people from our neighbouring countries in English and in their local languages, we will lose many opportunities when more investments flow into the region, for instance an opportunity to be employed in a good position in a company in Asean," said Sudakarn Patamadilok, assistant to the president for international affairs and director of Naresuan University (NU) Language Centre. The centre offers students, the university's staff, individuals and other agencies short courses in Lao, Khmer, Burmese, Bahasa Indonesian and Tagalog.

"When compared to Myanmar workers in the engineering and architecture fields, who can speak Burmese, Thai and English, Thai workers can speak only Thai, hence there are more possibilities for the Myanmar ones to be employed," she explained.

She said they did not consider learning neighbours' languages as an urgent matter until they were going to be affected. "They don't prefer preparation, but if they wait until the AEC comes into effect and they are affected by changes, it will be too late for them to learn the neighbours' languages because they will be unable to learn the languages overnight while people in our neighbouring countries can speak Thai already. It takes time and needs continuous practice."

Assoc Prof Nuntaga Thawut, vice president for foreign affairs at Chandrakasem Rajabhat University, said Thais can work and stay comfortably in Thailand now, hence they do not feel it necessary to learn other Asean languages for the future.

Chandrakasem offers short courses in Khmer, Burmese and Vietnamese to its students and individuals.

"Although, many people near the border of Cambodia can speak Khmer, we've found that lots of young people don't speak this language as they don't see its importance, whereas young people in the countries sharing the borders with Thailand, like Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam can communicate in Thai. They watch Thai TV channels," said Phaichayon Janthaket, director of Prasatwittayakarn School in Surin that is near the border with Cambodia.

"This is a crisis as more people are expected to cross the border for jobs and businesses, but they won't understand each other enough, and this can lead to problems," he said.

The school teaches Khmer, Lao and Vietnamese to students, individuals and other agencies.

Usanee Watanapan, deputy director of the Bureau of Academic Affairs and Educational Standards at the Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec), said not many students recognise the significance of learning the neighbours' languages, although many schools provided Burmese, Vietnamese, Khmer and Malay.

Eight of those schools in different regions also teach the neighbours' languages to interested people in the evening.

"Languages have immense power that can help you win the hearts of people from other countries, which is good for you to deal with them," Sudakarn said.

These educators are planning to reach out to more people. Nuntaga will provide free training to her students. Sudakarn said NU planned to offer more advanced courses and take some individuals and agencies to explore current situations or development in Myanmar. Phaichayon will send its teachers teaching Khmer to work near the border checkpoint to help people crossing the border with document translation and promote more activities for locals from both sides to do together to strengthen the relationship.

Usanee said Obec would try to convince more students to see the importance of learning foreign languages. Also, it would train 100 graduates in Burmese, Vietnamese, Khmer and Malay fields. They would have to study a Graduate Diploma Programme in Teaching Profession and study a short course in the country of the language they graduated in. "This is done in preparation for expansion of teaching the neighbouring languages at Obec schools."

She said a language learning app and software would be available for download by the end of this year. They would provide 900 often-used sentences in each of the 10 main languages of Asean countries, Mandarin, Korean and Japanese, so students and Thai people can learn the languages on their own through tablets and PCs.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-22

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with the general sentiment that having people with more language skills is better for communicating and creating harmony ..... can the Nation reporter (or someone online here) please tell me what the evidence is for these claims (as this is the basis for writing an article scaring people into taking an action):

"when more investments flow into the region, for instance an opportunity to be employed in a good position in a company in Asean", and "if they wait until the AEC comes into effect and they are affected by changes, it will be too late for them", and "This is a crisis as more people are expected to cross the border for jobs and businesses".........

No really ... can someone explain it ....

Nice to hear that some language opportunities are being offered to Thai people. I'm sure most of them have been available for many years with just a small interest shown. Now, they are promoting the financial aspect "we will lose many opportunities when more investments flow into the region" - hopefully this will encourage more people to study and then use their new found knowledge not only for financial gain but to also start peace and friendship accords throughout the region

@BrianCR: Is that a POSITIVE post I see here? Be careful, you may get kicked off...

Well done. Nice post.

• Like 2

Why should Thai's learn another AEC language? I expect many Thai's feel "those other AEC" countries should learn Thai in order to communicate with the Hub Country of AEC.blink.png

Actually had an ajarn from the local university say this to me. I had to stifle a laugh... There are some who genuinely believe that if you self appoint yourself as a hub, everyone around you will simply rotate around you.

More narrow minded regional thinking from the 'experts'. Why on earth would Thai's want to learn Indonesian, Malay, Burmese or Vietnamese? It's like saying that Europeans should all learn Latvian, Greek, Dutch and Romanian. Wherever you go in SE Asia you find that the road signs, airport signs, advertisements and guide books all feature two languages, the local one and - yes you guessed it - English.

My belief is English and Malay will become the default language.

The Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia) and Malaysian (Bahasa Malaysia) standards of the Malay language (Bahasa Melayu) are for the better part mutually intelligible.

Bahasa Melayu : 270 million

English : 107 million plus the default second language for almost all.

Neighbours... just does not make any sense since all they country are all Air Asia flight away... shorter and faster than a bus to the border. LOL

Myanmar 58,840,000.

Cambodia 13,388,910
Laos 6,477,211

Until the education system gets a complete over hall I dont see Thai's getting any better at English. There is a reason why Thai's are the worst English speakers in SEA, the education system is failing them. Until this changes, nothing else will.

Sorry can't resist since this is about education. "Overhaul"......

haha, got me, i was typing to quickly and didnt even think about it. giggle.gif

Until the education system gets a complete over hall I dont see Thai's getting any better at English. There is a reason why Thai's are the worst English speakers in SEA, the education system is failing them. Until this changes, nothing else will.

WHAT> Not another reviewcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There are 52 million Hispanics in US and a 3000 km land border with Mexico. Does every American citizen speak at least some Spanish? No, because there is no pressure to learn. The immigrant learns the language of the host country. As long as there will be more Laotians or Burmese coming to Thailand for education or work, they will learn Thai and not the other way around. I doubt we'll see the Isaan people crossing the border to Cambodia in order to find better paid jobs. They'd rather go to Phuket or Pattaya and learn the local version of Thai language.

I'm not saying that learning your neighbor's language is futile, but the thesis of the article is wrong. Thailand is the magnet for the surrounding countries (with the notable exception of English-speaking Malaysia), from both cultural and economical point of view, so there is little real incentive for the Thai youth to learn Burmese, Laotian or Khmer.

Thai language itself is so difficult to learn and master properly that I'm tempted to say it's enough of a punishment for one student. I completely agree with MaxLee on this.

There are 52 million Hispanics in US and a 3000 km land border with Mexico. Does every American citizen speak at least some Spanish? No, because there is no pressure to learn. The immigrant learns the language of the host country. As long as there will be more Laotians or Burmese coming to Thailand for education or work, they will learn Thai and not the other way around. I doubt we'll see the Isaan people crossing the border to Cambodia in order to find better paid jobs. They'd rather go to Phuket or Pattaya and learn the local version of Thai language.

what if the host country doesn't have any official language?

It is always good to speak more than one language and even better to speak more than 2 language.

Edited by ZhouZhou
  • Like 1

Nice to hear that some language opportunities are being offered to Thai people. I'm sure most of them have been available for many years with just a small interest shown. Now, they are promoting the financial aspect "we will lose many opportunities when more investments flow into the region" - hopefully this will encourage more people to study and then use their new found knowledge not only for financial gain but to also start peace and friendship accords throughout the region

@BrianCR: Is that a POSITIVE post I see here? Be careful, you may get kicked off...

Well done. Nice post.

That's why he is being politically correct. He was probably kicked off before. whistling.gif

When you show a Thai Baht bank-note to a Laos citizen he knows the exchange rate, when you show a Lao KIP bank-note to a Thai, he looks at it, then asks 'what country this money is from ?'................ Tried it several times and always the same answer, I think it says enough about their chances to improve themselves. Ignorance is a bitch!

What ignorance? the Thai are not to blame if Laos use the baht as 2nd currency. they don't use kip in Thailand.

They will also know the exchange rate for dollar and you can pay with dollar almost everywhere. try to pay with kip in new york. doesn't work. would you call people in new york ignorant?

"....They will also know the exchange rate for dollar and you can pay with dollar almost everywhere..."

As with many of your statements & comments, way off reality.

There is only one international language despite the plethora of languages globally. English is the only way for Thai's to get ahead, but then they would be able to see what the rest of the world really can offer and that would not be good for the Thai elites who control the country and the continuing repression of the Thai populace at large now would it?

To learn only English would be very narrow minded.

Anyone that teaches English here understands the problem. It doesn't matter how often they talk about it the problem won't disappear.

In high school classrooms the boys are completely disinterested except for about 5% and the girls are interested except for about 5%.

I believe much of the disinterest comes from the Thai English teachers that generally discredit the foreign teachers so the students follow their lead.

Next point: Why are Thai teachers teaching English? The students end up speaking Thai-English which you cannot understand. When students have completed high school they have received about 15 years of English classes and most can speak relatively no English.

Since Thais are superior then why should they listen to a foreigner?

If students show disinterest. i would blame the teacher not the student.
  • Like 1