Work Options..end Of Waivers

My situation.I have worked 4 years in a college,(no degree),diploma and tesol cert...Received 2 back to back waivers from Krusapa in Bkk..2nd on completion of culture course..I have now moved to Udon and have been offered an english teaching job.I did read somewhere that if the school applies for a wp as me being a paid volunteer,working(18 hours???)then i have no need of a waiver to get visa and wp.can anyone please clarify for me..thank you in advance.Thomas..

Morning All,

So I gave all of the required documents to my school to enable me to teach as a "special lecturer" for a year whilst I finish my studies. The school are now panicking and will not write the contract in case they get it wrong. Not quite sure what all the fuss is about, but having been here for a while now I understand the Thai way.

They have asked me to find an example, in Thai (if English no problem as I can translate). So please, please,please does anyone have an example of such a contract?

Thanks very much in anticipation.

"Special lecturer" in what? I know there're some guys on TVF who worked last year as teacher's assistant, or trainers. Why don't you go that way?

Being a 'Special lecturer' and teaching English might wake up sleeping dogs.Good luck!-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

"Special lecturer" in what? I know there're some guys on TVF who worked last year as teacher's assistant, or trainers. Why don't you go that way?

Being a 'Special lecturer' and teaching English might wake up sleeping dogs.Good luck!-wai2.gif

Why don't you read all of the post before asking questions?

The letters from KSP that Mario posted quite clearly said "volunteer teacher" of "special lecturer". That idea was also advised by KSP in an email they sent me.

So.... does anyone have a copy of the required wording in the contract?

Thanks.

Sounds like its time to get qualified. I assume the reason waivers are given is so that you can use that time to get the proper qualifications, which you have not. If you do not act soon enough, then you will have no reason to complain when you are left behind.

• Like 1

Sounds like its time to get qualified. I assume the reason waivers are given is so that you can use that time to get the proper qualifications, which you have not. If you do not act soon enough, then you will have no reason to complain when you are left behind.

OP is a TV member since September 2006. The discussions on TV about the TCT requirements started in October 2006. Many have ignored the warnings with the thoughts that the rules would never be enforced.

The current problem for several is not having the required university degree. No university degree means no provisional teaching permit/ waiver and no permission to sit the TCT Professional Knowledge Tests.

OP is a TV member since September 2006. The discussions on TV about the TCT requirements started in October 2006. Many have ignored the warnings with the thoughts that the rules would never be enforced.

The current problem for several is not having the required university degree. No university degree means no provisional teaching permit/ waiver and no permission to sit the TCT Professional Knowledge Tests.

True. BUT if you are indeed studying for said degree then you should be able to get a waiver with proof of attendance etc. If the degree is NOT an ED degree then you can still start taking the tests. You do not provide a copy of your degree until you pass all 4 parts (or in the case of a friend who took all 4 at the same time. His results were broken down into 9 results like the Thai test. He still has 2 to pass!!!!! )

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

True. BUT if you are indeed studying for said degree then you should be able to get a waiver with proof of attendance etc. If the degree is NOT an ED degree then you can still start taking the tests. You do not provide a copy of your degree until you pass all 4 parts (or in the case of a friend who took all 4 at the same time. His results were broken down into 9 results like the Thai test. He still has 2 to pass!!!!! )

Sitting the TCT Professional Knowledge Tests without holding a university degree is fraud, thaicbr, as holding a degree is a requirement.

Applicant’s Qualifications
(1) Be at least 20 years of age
(2) Hold a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent
(3) Not possess any of the prohibited characteristics pursuant to section 44 (of the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act B.E.2003 (2546).
(5) All above application process is deemed that an applicant sign and certify the accuracy of the information provided in accordance with the Electronic Transactions Act B.E. 2001. Therefore, any applicant who knowingly and with intent to give false information on the test application, he or she may be guilty of giving false information to an authority according to the Code of Criminal, Section 137.

http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/userfiles/Professional%20Knowledge%20Test.pdf

aidenail.

That well may be.. But as they don't check the degrees at each test. i'm pretty certain they do not want to upset the money cart that these tests are. I'm not condoning it i'm just stating what happens.

It is peoples livelihoods after all.

• Like 2

Yet another poster who fails to read the whole thread, and instead decides to go for a ride on his high horse.

Read post 6.

Yet another poster who fails to read the whole thread, and instead decides to go for a ride on his high horse.

Read post 6.

As I said earlier it is not Impossible to get 3 back to back waivers. Especially if you can show you are forwarding your education. I'm guessing you have changed education area's so even easier.

I am currently on my third waiver. Doing the tests.

Read post 6.

As I said earlier it is not Impossible to get 3 back to back waivers. Especially if you can show you are forwarding your education. I'm guessing you have changed education area's so even easier.

No. Same area, same school and only asking for 2nd waiver. I am studying now. Refused.

Read post 6.

No. Same area, same school and only asking for 2nd waiver. I am studying now. Refused.

They refused a 2nd waiver even though you are studying for a degree? Very strange. Where are you studying?

Read post 6.

Best of luck, thaicbr. Perseverance! I did the tests more than once and finally made it.

Read post 6.

They refused a 2nd waiver even though you are studying for a degree? Very strange. Where are you studying?

The rules for a provisional teaching permit state that the applicant should hold a university degree.

The Thai education system will be better off when the minimum for a farang to teach is a Bachelor of Education or its equivalent. I read these posts with amusement, for that day is coming.

Why???? Do you teach? Are you Thai or a foreigner?

Do you understand the difference between teaching conversation English and teaching a Subject?

• Like 1

The Thai education system will be better off when the minimum for a farang to teach is a Bachelor of Education or its equivalent. I read these posts with amusement, for that day is coming.

I'm sure Thai's will be happy to be paying market rate for a qualified teacher. whistling.gif

Edited by mike123ca

There are always exceptions and there are many good teachers without a degree in education (or a degree for that matter). There are also degreed education majors who are not good teachers, but I tend to agree that it would be a step in the right direction to have qualified teachers with an education degree. They will have to pay a competitive salary, though.

I know quite a few people who have tried to pursue continuing education with very, very little support from the school. Wages are deducted for time missed (even if there are no classes in session), etc., etc., etc.. It's sad, since these people are very committed to teaching, committed to the country and bring back good ideas.

We have had one teacher in all this time that has passed all of the exams (over a span of more than 4 years). Many have passed some of the exams. If I were in a position to have needed to do the exams or a course, I would have bit the bullet and done the course. It would have been completed in less than a year. Now teachers are worried about not getting extensions. That's one of the reasons I did my teaching course way back in 2004-2008 and got that out of the way. One less thing to worry about!

We have had one teacher in all this time that has passed all of the exams (over a span of more than 4 years). Many have passed some of the exams. If I were in a position to have needed to do the exams or a course, I would have bit the bullet and done the course. It would have been completed in less than a year. Now teachers are worried about not getting extensions. That's one of the reasons I did my teaching course way back in 2004-2008 and got that out of the way. One less thing to worry about!

I take it you are referring to the 1 year upgrade to ed degree course?

I wasn't aware that it was still available in English.

A friend did the test 10 for the 1st time and passed 3 out of 4 tests. But strangely when he got his certificate it outlined it in the Thai teacher style saying he had passed 7 out of 9.

May 4 I'm doing the 2nd test. Then next time 4 & 5.