Cost Airport To Patong

DiamondKing

You are wise to ask this question. There are many scams running. Current prices are 200B for shared van, (agents desks will clearly show this option in arrivals area) 600ish baht for metered Taxi.(out doors turn right) 750-800B for "limo" (Toyota Camry) but they often open negotiations asking for much more. One of our guests did not do the research you have and was charged 4000B to Kata. They often do this for late night arrivals as the metered taxi and shared vans don't operate late at night.

Be careful as there have been multiple reports of touts showing a map to arriving tourists with the price of 1800B or more to the beach towns. This is a scam. There is a bus system that was supposed to be running by now, but at present the Kata Karon taxi mafia have threatened to blockade it if it runs, so it's operation has been postponed.

There is a bus system that was supposed to be running by now, but at present the Kata Karon taxi mafia have threatened to blockade it if it runs, so it's operation has been postponed.

"Postponed" is a nice and polite way to describe it. sad.png

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that no matter form of transport you choose, they will likely stop at a tour desk outside the airport and give you the hard sell on tours or, if you tell them you don't have reservations, they will try to book it for you at a hotel that gives them a commission. Even if you have a reservation, they may try to tell you that they can't find your hotel, or that the area your hotel is in is no good, or even that it has burnt down in order to get you to book with them. Be firm but polite, tell them you want to go directly to the hotel with no stopping, and always ask if they know where the hotel is before you get in the van or taxi.

You are wise to ask this question. There are many scams running. Current prices are 200B for shared van, (agents desks will clearly show this option in arrivals area) 600ish baht for metered Taxi.(out doors turn right) 750-800B for "limo" (Toyota Camry) but they often open negotiations asking for much more. One of our guests did not do the research you have and was charged 4000B to Kata. They often do this for late night arrivals as the metered taxi and shared vans don't operate late at night.

Be careful as there have been multiple reports of touts showing a map to arriving tourists with the price of 1800B or more to the beach towns. This is a scam. There is a bus system that was supposed to be running by now, but at present the Kata Karon taxi mafia have threatened to blockade it if it runs, so it's operation has been postponed.

There is no need to enter into any negotiation for the limos, the two limo stands outside both have a fixed price boards clearly visible, same as Bangkok.

The other option is to use the metered cabs to the right as you head out the terminal if any are available.

I don't understand what the big deal is with taxi prices here, nearly every taxi booth in Phuket now has a fixed price board nailed onto it.

• Like 1

There is no need to enter into any negotiation for the limos, the two limo stands outside both have a fixed price boards clearly visible, same as Bangkok.

The other option is to use the metered cabs to the right as you head out the terminal if any are available.

I don't understand what the big deal is with taxi prices here, nearly every taxi booth in Phuket now has a fixed price board nailed onto it.

true,but a lot of taxis go back empty,and would prefer a fare,i had some guests come out of the airport,and turned left at the exit gates,they got picked up by a hotel limo for 500b to khao lak,as opposed to 1800b.

I'll add for the OP that which ever transport you chose to get to Patong, that's just the start of your transport problems here.

If you are coming to Patong for the nightlife, and doing like so many now, staying walking distance from Bangla Road - no problems.

If you are further away from the nightlife, and can not walk there, you will experience what Phuket is becoming infamous for - no public transport.

Prepare yourself to be overcharged buy tuk-tuk drivers, more so after 2am, and especially if it's raining.

If you would like to go to Kata/Karon, for example, for a night out, expect it to cost more than your hotel room per night for the return trip.

If you are thinking of renting a motorbike for 200 baht a day, well, there are enough threads current running about those who also had that idea and never made it home.

Edited by NamKangMan

I would suggest you think about renting a car. Last week I rented a honda jazz from avis at the airport at 800bt per day. I suspect there are cheaper deals available with local companies, but not sure about the insurance, hence I go with the big names. There are probably scams with some of the smaller local companies. If you do any amount of travel outside of Patong you will recover the cost very quickly, and be able to see so much more of this very large island. There are several issues that others can perhaps advise on better than me. Congestion (particularly in the evening) can be very bad in the convoluted one way system that operates in Patong as much of the traffic gets shunted onto the beach road. Parking can be tricky. I sense there is a material risk with drink driving and police checks, but not sure. And finally the motorbikes are a real challenge - they are so many everywhere and they are constantly cutting in front of you from all angles. So the risk of an accident is quite high.

I would suggest you think about renting a car. Last week I rented a honda jazz from avis at the airport at 800bt per day. I suspect there are cheaper deals available with local companies, but not sure about the insurance, hence I go with the big names. There are probably scams with some of the smaller local companies. If you do any amount of travel outside of Patong you will recover the cost very quickly, and be able to see so much more of this very large island. There are several issues that others can perhaps advise on better than me. Congestion (particularly in the evening) can be very bad in the convoluted one way system that operates in Patong as much of the traffic gets shunted onto the beach road. Parking can be tricky. I sense there is a material risk with drink driving and police checks, but not sure. And finally the motorbikes are a real challenge - they are so many everywhere and they are constantly cutting in front of you from all angles. So the risk of an accident is quite high.

When I first came to Phuket in 2005, I thought the taxi fares were high. Now they are very high. I rented a car from David Rent a car back in 2005. It was quite reasonable and didn't have any problems. Parking in Patong isn't easy though. If you've never driven in Thailand, it would not be a good place to start. Riding a motorbike is a bad idea too, unless you do so all the time in traffic in Thailand. Back to the OP. The best deal to me are the "metered" taxis. Although they don't use their meters! Nomad Joe gives some good advice in this thread. He deals with these taxi and tuk tuk drivers way more than I do...

Exactly,go straight to the limo desk through customs and order a Toyota Camry limo,it should be 650 baht to Patong,everything else is a massive scam and you will end up paying more.

I've never had any problems with this method of transport,they will stop at ther booking office to try to sell some crappy,overpriced accomodation but just tell them you have accomodation already and refuse to get out of the car,simples!smile.png

When I first came to Phuket in 2005, I thought the taxi fares were high. Now they are very high. I rented a car from David Rent a car back in 2005. It was quite reasonable and didn't have any problems. Parking in Patong isn't easy though. If you've never driven in Thailand, it would not be a good place to start. Riding a motorbike is a bad idea too, unless you do so all the time in traffic in Thailand. Back to the OP. The best deal to me are the "metered" taxis. Although they don't use their meters! Nomad Joe gives some good advice in this thread. He deals with these taxi and tuk tuk drivers way more than I do...

Last time I rented a car from Phuket Airport my card was cloned and used in there and three times in Gimha Airport,Korea where I've never been!sad.png

I got the money back,around USD $1,500 after a lot of hassle but it was a multinational corporation,obviously I don't want to name them but they are apparently very green and as previously mentioned not just a National company!wink.png

Last time I rented a car from Phuket Airport my card was cloned and used in there and three times in Gimha Airport,Korea where I've never been!sad.png

I got the money back,around USD $1,500 after a lot of hassle but it was a multinational corporation,obviously I don't want to name them but they are apparently very green and as previously mentioned not just a National company!wink.png

There are many people on this board that have rented from David over many years without a problem. They would rather deal in cash as VISA or MasterCard charges them 3% or more... I've had more problems with Hertz in the US than any other car rental company in the world.

You are wise to ask this question. There are many scams running. Current prices are 200B for shared van, (agents desks will clearly show this option in arrivals area) 600ish baht for metered Taxi.(out doors turn right) .

Only a couple of weeks ago, I payed 500 Baht for the metered taxi. Has it changed again ?

Anyway, I always find this the best option. Go outside of the airport, turn right and go straight to the end. And to all the guys that are waiting at the exit and ask if you need a taxi, just say 'Mai tchai krab', no thank you. Don't hesitate and act like you know how it works. I never had a metered taxi that tried to sell me anything, or stopped at another place. But it is best to know where your hotel is and which Main Street is around. A shared van is cheaper, but of course has more stops. Which in Patong can take some time.

In Patong, I always drive a motorbike. But I'm driving a Vespa at home often so I am used to it. Always wear your helm, have your international drivers license with you and look in the mirrors every two seconds. :) A car in Patong isn't really what you want/need. And I always go by bike to Kamala or Surin beach (far more beautiful then Patong beach). Just be careful where you rent it. I would rather rent it at the hotel to avoid scams.

One more tip; when you rent a car, motorbike or water scooter then first take pictures of every angle with the guy next to it. So they can not say you damaged it when returning it. And this way they also know you're not an idiot they can easily fool.

I will be arriving at the airport on 30th april

Since i am sick of the meter taxi (meter never used) lines and crap cars used for 600bht...

I have booked a taxi for the first time via the internet with this websight...

http://phuketshuttle.com/

Anybody else ever use them?

850bht to Rawai will meet me at arrivial (to the left at exit) with a sign with my name on it, comfy car Toyota from picture..

Best thing is they have the same service for pick up, hotel/house to airport as well for 850bht

Not the 1000 to 1200 bht i was charged last time by the lazy sleeping bamboo hut guys at the end of my street...

I just hope me and my driver are not assaulted buy the local taxi mob when he picks me up at my house in 30 days....

will let you know if the service is any good as advertised...??

Now if only hotels, resorts and guest houses actually informed their guests (at the time of booking) about this potential 'issue' that they may face on arrival, less folks would fall for this scam.

The only reason these drivers try it on is because of the fact that so many schmucks before them, have accepted the extortionate rate.