How Many Languages Do We Speak?

Morakot

How many languages do you speak?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Studied 4, but that semester of German was a weak attempt.

I can understand a read a bit of Spanish.

I can converse in Thai easily, but because I put off reading and writing for so long, I tend to mess up tones and have a child's level of reading, it is improving though.

Though as an American, I feel I should get a handicap!

Mandatory language learning beginning in the 9th grade is just another failure of our education system...

Parent tongues: French + Bahasa Indonesia

Learned at Belgian boarding schools: Dutch + Ancient Greek & Latin

Learned at Swiss boarding schools: English + German + Italian

Acquired while working and/or residing for extended periods abroad (mid-level conversations only): Spanish +Turkish + Arabic + Thai

Quite impressive.

Parent tongues: French + Bahasa Indonesia

Learned at Belgian boarding schools: Dutch + Ancient Greek & Latin

Learned at Swiss boarding schools: English + German + Italian

Acquired while working and/or residing for extended periods abroad (mid-level conversations only): Spanish +Turkish + Arabic + Thai

Quite impressive.

Not really...

In Belgium, we have three national languages (french, dutch & german) which are mandatory with english to follow a diplomatic career ; that was my family heritage... and natural steps to an already planned work-life.

But being the black sheep of the family, I -hopefully- ended up in the hospitality industry... cool.png

@lazygourmet

I did know you guys had 2 national languages over there not three, but also learned that most French speakers don't learn Dutch even your king has a problem with it. Did not know about German.

Here is a brief wiki summary regarding language legislation in Belgium

Don't worry if you understand zilch... I gave up decades ago !

Does Latin count? I mean, I suffered 7 years of learning Latin and yet, I am not able to say one sentence! Just make some stupid quotes, LOL.

Being Swiss, we need to learn at least on other of our national languages. So I started with French (my mother tongue being German) and finished school in French speaking Geneva. Italy is close by and I love Italy, Italian food, Italian cars etc, so inevitably I picked up the language.

Of course we all had to learn English. I hated it at that time, now it's my daily language, we speak English in my family with wife and kids. Kids even go to a British school.

Not so proud about my proficiency in Thai language. OK, actually it's pretty poor, despite 2 lessons every week. I guess that's the early symptoms of Alzheimer. Ah well, look at the bright side: I meet new people every day.

• Like 2

What about those knowing 20 plus languages?

Typical American teenager rolleyes.gif :

He is certainly gifted with learning languages. I wouldn't be surprised if he had been recruited by the US government since airing this video.

I think that boychik is way too good for government work!

Not really...

In Belgium, we have three national languages (french, dutch & german) which are mandatory with english to follow a diplomatic career ; that was my family heritage... and natural steps to an already planned work-life.

But being the black sheep of the family, I -hopefully- ended up in the hospitality industry... cool.png

What's the hospitality industry? You work on beach road ?

I come from a family of linguists (my Father speaks 12 fluently) and my late Grandfather on my Mother's side of the family spoke 15 fluently. He was a Swiss Diplomat. My Mother spoke 4 fluently. Sadly I struggle with languages, speaking some German, some Czech and some Thai; but none of them fluently.

So this poll is about how many languages people speak...

...more likely how many languages people claim they speak smile.png

Here a fact: 'most people speak two or more languages, a large proportion of the of world's population is bilingual.' (Grosjean 1982:1)

Francois Grosjean 1982 Life With Two Languages: An Introduction to Bilingualism Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press

So this poll is about how many languages people speak...

...more likely how many languages people claim they speak smile.png

Here a fact: 'most people speak two or more languages, a large proportion of the of world's population is bilingual.' (Grosjean 1982:1)

Francois Grosjean 1982 Life With Two Languages: An Introduction to Bilingualism Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press

I followed the link and thanks, very interesting.
  • Like 1