4Wd Vehicles

xtr3mx7

Hello guys,

I started an interested in 4WD vehicles here in Thailand, and 1 question is mind-boggling... where's the 4WD lever as shown in the picture in the link below?
Sellers are saying that the Pajero Sport / D-Max on display at Big C extra (Hat Yai) are 4WD but when I have a look inside, there's no lever at all.
Question: Do Thai 4WD model do not have the lever?
I must say that the supposedly D-Max 4WD on display recently do not have the level as well.
Edited by xtr3mx7

4WD PJS has the lever as in the link. 2WD PJS has no lever and a small storage box instead.

4WD Fortuners have the hi low range lever, 2WD do not.

Some like the Dmax use a switch on the dash.

If the vehicle is 4WD it will probably have a lever or switch somewhere for at least some of the usual functions like low range / 4WD / center diff lock.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. But it's still mind boggling!

I just went to see my in-law '10 D-Max, and I couldn't possibly find any switch on the dash that could relate to a 2WD/4WD.

My wife was there sitting, and I asked her to ask her father if he can confirm that's a 4WD. The answer was affirmative.

If I consider what's Jitar has posted, why do they advertise them as 4WD when they're clearly not 4WD?

Now, can we safely say that the dealers are a bunch of liars?

Please note that my wife was also with me, and she was the one doing the translation to the seller as at that time, I couldn't see the lever at all on the PJS.

I was told by the seller that the SUV is 4WD.

From memory the older Dmax had push buttons on the right side of the center console above the radio for 2H / 4H / 4L selection. If all else fails look for the drive shaft between the front suspension arms.

I would not be surprised if there were a few buyers of high riding 2WD pickups or SUVs thinking they have 4WD. Many that do have 4WD never use it.

Thanks guys! So indeed, the conclusion is that 2WD are being sold as 4WD here since their suspension are high up. Either the sellers are liars or ignorant.

I would love to hear other's opinions on that particular matter.

Thanks guys! So indeed, the conclusion is that 2WD are being sold as 4WD here since their suspension are high up. Either the sellers are liars or ignorant.

No idea how you conclude that.

2wd's are just that, 2wd. 4wd's are just that, 4wd.

Most of them have stickers on them these days also stating which it is.

Vehicles with high suspension do not have to be 4wd.

• Like 1

All makes do a 2WD high suspension truck. The 4x4 will have stickers on the rear panels saying 4x4.

Just looking under the front of the ride will show you a drive shaft going to the front wheel drive set up. Can't miss it. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

All makes do a 2WD high suspension truck. The 4x4 will have stickers on the rear panels saying 4x4.

Just looking under the front of the ride will show you a drive shaft going to the front wheel drive set up. Can't miss it. thumbsup.gif

On the lines of the Volvo 760's they tried to sell but were in fact 740's.

Volvo 244 = series 2, 4 cylinder 4 doors.

Volvo 264 = series 2, 6 cylinder 4 doors.

Volvo 265 = series 2 6 cylinders 5 door estate.

Volvo 740 = series 7, 4 cylinders

Volvo 760 = seies 7, 6 cylinders.

Back on topic, if you're not a farmer why do you need a four wheel drive ?

Well thanks for the output.

But it gives little explanation as to why high ups 2WD have 4WD stickers on them and sellers confirming they are indeed SUV when you can't see any levers or switch buttons, that's the mind boggling thing.

As we all know what Thais aren't that much "honest" when doing business.

@overherebc, I don't wish to buy one but I was just having a look at the cars & SUV on display at Big C Extra, and found it skeptical that such SUVs are advertised as 4WD when there's no lever or switch button.

I feel very suspicious that the seller has confirmed to my wife that the SUV on display is a 4WD with the sticker, but doesn't have any lever/switch button.

Won't you feel suspicious if you were going to buy a SUV and they advertise it as 4WD but there's no lever at all? I certainly would.

The same thing regarding my inlaw's D-MAX, on the side there's the stickers showing clearly 4WD, but none at the back and no lever/switch at all. (refer to my previous post #4 for more information)

How one can you explain that?blink.png

But it gives little explanation as to why high ups 2WD have 4WD stickers on them and sellers confirming they are indeed SUV when you can't see any levers or switch buttons, that's the mind boggling thing.

@overherebc, I don't wish to buy one but I was just having a look at the cars & SUV on display at Big C Extra, and found it skeptical that such SUVs are advertised as 4WD when there's no lever or switch button.

I feel very suspicious that the seller has confirmed to my wife that the SUV on display is a 4WD with the sticker, but doesn't have any lever/switch button.

Won't you feel suspicious if you were going to buy a SUV and they advertise it as 4WD but there's no lever at all? I certainly would.

The same thing regarding my inlaw's D-MAX, on the side there's the stickers showing clearly 4WD, but none at the back and no lever/switch at all. (refer to my previous post #4 for more information)

Assuming the SUV you're referring to is still a Pajero Sport, I'd be curious to see the 4WD sticker you're referring to, as Pajero Sport 4WD's don't have a 4WD sticker ;)

Helps them back onto the road,after they spin into the clongs and shrubery roud here.coffee1.gif

Capitalism 101 - buyer beware. New car sales people tend not to be 100% honest anywhere and tell buyers what they want to hear to get sales. Tricks like promoting "prices from xxx" and features from a premium model costing much more a not unusual. In Thailand there are plenty of poorly informed sales staff and a language barrier for farang so the chances of accurate information is zip. Some will blatantly lie but many don't know the difference and just give a positive answer. If you are buying a car do not accept anything the sales people tell you unless it can be substantiated. Stickers and badges mean nothing because fake crap is used to tart up cars all the time. E.G. look how much racing development is behind the Toyota TRD badge.

Your inlaws Dmax case might be from a salesman stretching or wishful thinking from the owners. If they have owned the thing for a while and have not noticed the lack of a 4WD selector, they probably do not need 4WD.

Plenty of people need 4WD's but not all 4WD's are needed....

E.G. Construction, mining and heavy industry workers with rough work sites and people with hobbies that involve getting away from civilization or a boat and trailer need 4WD's. Smugglers and Posers (waiting for the ski season) like 4WD as well. smile.png

Edited by Jitar

There was a 4 pot 760 huh.png, it had a turbo. smile.png , as well as the V6 760 which l had.

• Like 1

Assuming the SUV you're referring to is still a Pajero Sport, I'd be curious to see the 4WD sticker you're referring to, as Pajero Sport 4WD's don't have a 4WD sticker wink.png

Probably he's mistaking the 4D4 sticker on Toyotas referring to their engines.

W

Easy, you're not looking in the right place.

• Like 1

W

Easy, you're not looking in the right place.

My 2006 3.0L D-Max has 3 buttons and 1 LED for control of 4WD functions, 2H, 4H and 4L. Above the radio to the right of the clock.

post-64390-0-43706500-1366779623.jpg

• Like 1

Assuming the SUV you're referring to is still a Pajero Sport, I'd be curious to see the 4WD sticker you're referring to, as Pajero Sport 4WD's don't have a 4WD sticker wink.png

Or even the D4-D badge :D

I think he's uncovered the conspiracy of the decade here :D :D

• Like 2

Or even the D4-D badge biggrin.png

I think he's uncovered the conspiracy of the decade here biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

badges-we-don-t-need-no-stinking-badges-

• Like 2

Fascinating. thanks for the nice blanket brush stroke over a country of 67 million. Remind us where you are from, and I'll be sure to tar you in much the same way.

Chinease Thais do buisness, the rest Farm.clap2.gif

Easy, someone's put 4WD stickers on a 2WD pickup.

Why not ask the seller to demonstrate how to switch from 2WD to 4WD?

An SUV with 4WD may be full-time 4WD so it doesn't need a switch/lever.

Maybe your father-in-law doesn't actually know what he's got, he just likes to think or tell people that he has a 4WD.

• Like 1

Easy, someone's put 4WD stickers on a 2WD pickup.

Why not ask the seller to demonstrate how to switch from 2WD to 4WD?

An SUV with 4WD may be full-time 4WD so it doesn't need a switch/lever.

Maybe your father-in-law doesn't actually know what he's got, he just likes to think or tell people that he has a 4WD.

Full time AWD still needs buttons or levers to change between high and low range.

Sounds like he's getting drive shafted to me.laugh.png

Edited by Woodsie888
  • Like 2

Sounds like he's getting drive shafted to me.laugh.png

It's enough to make you want to put the brakes on and think about switching gears before getting all revved up again!