Bike Hauled Off A Parking Lot, Now In Impound

Never understood the teachers that come here pleading poverty, simply go back to your own country and teach(need qualifications obviously) where you can earn 4-5 times as much, there is no way i would try to do the job im qualified for over here i would be on about 20% of what i could earn in my home country

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Teachers here merely have a degree. The qualifications to teach back home are very specific - in most countries you essentially spend most of your university career planning/preparing to be a teacher.

Obviously people with those specific qualifications that do work here typically get a higher salary (typically in international schools in Bangkok), but they are only a tiny percentage of 'farang' teachers in Thailand.

But lets get back to the topic of old motorbikes, eh?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never understood the teachers that come here pleading poverty, simply go back to your own country and teach(need qualifications obviously) where you can earn 4-5 times as much, there is no way i would try to do the job im qualified for over here i would be on about 20% of what i could earn in my home country

Teachers here merely have a degree. The qualifications to teach back home are very specific - in most countries you essentially spend most of your university career planning/preparing to be a teacher.

Obviously people with those specific qualifications that do work here typically get a higher salary (typically in international schools in Bangkok), but they are only a tiny percentage of 'farang' teachers in Thailand.

But lets get back to the topic of old motorbikes, eh?

Old bikes........yeah you own 9 of them and rent em out.

• Like 1

If you factor in cost of living/rent/taxes, I'm better off here as a teacher than as a teacher in Australia. I think the teachers renting a bike here are just doing it as a convenience. Most long termers will buy a bike, even on their 30K salary, then pay it off monthly.

Clare had a simple question about his impounded bike. He wasnt looking for a life coach or a Honda Wave. Unbelievable blink.png

This is the second time someone has referred to Clare as a he. Is there something some of you know that most of us don't???

Honestly I don't know what you guys are on about?

I told OP that I thought that it will cost 400-800 bath to get it from the police.

I Pattaya they sometimes impound bikes that are parked illegally and they put the bikes on a pick-up truck and drive them to storage somewhere.

This "service" is not free I think and then you have the ticket for illegal parking on top.

Back to OP, did you get your bike back?

To enlighten you. The currency of Thailand is BAHT, not bath (something you take to get clean!) thumbsup.gif

Actually, my Thai wife and several of my adult Thai students have told me that Thai's use bath and baht. So he is not wrong.

It would be nice if you could come to the forum just once with good news. Anything would do. You've found the cure for cancer, you've discovered how to make an engine run on something unknown, or even hey folks I've just discovered this amazing pizza place..... biggrin.png

I would be really happy if I heard about a good pizza place, everything in Thailand is made for Thai tastes. There is even a pizza place at the Asok/Sukhumvit BTS/MRT entrance that is owned by an Italian, it is okay but it is not American pizza. I would kill for an American pizza.

Here's a bit of good news ... were all gonna get laid! Even if some of us have to pay for it! Well lets face it, we all pay for it one way or another.

I'm surprised there's such a big market for old 2 stroke bike rentals in

Issan, even the poorest family seems to have a bike or two up there.

Who are you renting them to? It must be a thriving business if you need 9

of them, I'm surprised you have time to handle all the comings and

goings of your customers seeing as you're so busy teaching you don't

have time to even pick up a bike from the police station.

To foreigners, obviously. Who else would rent a motorbike? Typically teachers cannot afford to buy a newer motorbike, and if they will only stay a year (or sometimes less), its not really worth the trouble. Let's face it, generally speaking the foreigner teacher is in a state of poverty here - only the desperate would consider working for 30,000 baht/month.

However I don't really need 9: I typically only have 4-5 rented. I just like to play with old bikes. About 3 of my bikes are really just 'projects' in a sense, with 5-6 of them being really solid and reliable. The old Honda Tenas and the Smile I have are just as reliable as any new bike.

My stepfather works in Thailand as a teacher and he is neither in a state of poverty or desperate...........

Nice to see you have a big broad brush that you tar all and sundry with as being the same.

Yah, 30-40k a month isn't a lot, but if you aren't supporting a family then it is actually decent. Again everythng depends on how you want to live. One thing for sure you could easily afford to buy a new bike, they go for around 30-45k. If you're drinking in a bar every night or paying for company all the time you might be broke otherwise you should be able to save 10k a month to buy a bike with.

It would be nice if you could come to the forum just once with good news. Anything would do. You've found the cure for cancer, you've discovered how to make an engine run on something unknown, or even hey folks I've just discovered this amazing pizza place..... biggrin.png

I would be really happy if I heard about a good pizza place, everything in Thailand is made for Thai tastes. There is even a pizza place at the Asok/Sukhumvit BTS/MRT entrance that is owned by an Italian, it is okay but it is not American pizza. I would kill for an American pizza.

Here's a bit of good news ... were all gonna get laid! Even if some of us have to pay for it! Well lets face it, we all pay for it one way or another.

This might come as a surprise to you, but the origin of pizza is actually Italian. whistling.gif

Clare had a simple question about his impounded bike. He wasnt looking for a life coach or a Honda Wave. Unbelievable :blink:

This is the second time someone has referred to Clare as a he. Is there something some of you know that most of us don't???

I've done the work for you and googled the name. The character Clare Quilty is a paedophile in the film Lolita. Now you know.

This might come as a surprise to you, but the origin of pizza is actually Italian. whistling.gif

No surprise, which is why I specified American pizza. Some of the Italians that came over to America on the boat started making pizza and then improved it, American pizza is superior. But that is my opinion.

An American pizza has a thick tomato sauce, lots of mozzarella, and real meat. Thai's put catsup for the sauce (or something with a lot of sugar in it), very little cheese and that dodgy meat they call sausage, the pizza dough is pretty crappy too. The Italian guy makes a chewy dough that is like a bread and uses no sauce and a little cheese and dodgy meat (probably because you would have to make or import proper meat). But that is to be expected, Thai's don't eat farang food and if they do it has been altered to taste the way Thai's like it.

• Like 1

Clare had a simple question about his impounded bike. He wasnt looking for a life coach or a Honda Wave. Unbelievable blink.png

Seems Clare had his question answered in short order so why waste time with his simple question when we can delve into the deeper mystery that is ClareQuilty!

Clare had a simple question about his impounded bike. He wasnt looking for a life coach or a Honda Wave. Unbelievable :blink:

I've done the work for you and googled the name. The character Clare Quilty is a paedophile in the film Lolita. Now you know.

I'm not surprised. The whole story reeks of BS.

Renting out 5 bikes a time to the poor farang Issan teachers who can't afford 5000 baht to buy their own POS, give me a break!

The username lacks taste though. Some strange folks on TV...

When you spend your days defending Chinese bikes and trolls it might be worth considering full time employment...

Just saying...

• Like 2

100 baht per day is the charge

Thank you lemoncake. I'll let you know if that is confirmed when I visit the police station.

I'm not surprised. The whole story reeks of BS.

Renting out 5 bikes a time to the poor farang Issan teachers who can't afford 5000 baht to buy their own POS, give me a break!

The username lacks taste though. Some strange folks on TV...

Guys, guys, the name is a humorous one intended for a literate audience. I can't help it if it fails to please the illiterate and humorless.

Regarding the purchase of a bike - to get a bike in good condition would generally not be possible for 5000, and most foreigners know almost nothing of bikes and even less about Thailand, so they have no access to this 'low end' of the market. I may buy a bike for five or six thousand, but by the time I rent it I've had it fixed up so that it is highly reliable. Their alternative would be to go buy a 'good used bike' at a dealer for about 20,000, and given their lack of mechanical knowledge and their exceedingly low pay, that is a terrifyingly big investment.

In addition, the clincher is that licensing a bike in one's own name is quite difficult (in my opinion) or if not difficult (in your opinion) at least is perceived as virtually impossible by most foreigners.

Finally, they typically don't stay very long (most can't stomach the life or the job, or are simply backpackers roving onward), so there's really no rationale to try to buy a bike - the cost is the same renting or buying, and with buying you are unlikely to be able to sell it on when you leave.

@ clarequilty

You do not need to go to police station(unless you want to pay more smile.png )

Just head down to impound with green book and cash

PS, Can try to bargain with them,5 out of 10 times it works for long term impounds

It sounds like you have a lot of experience on the subject biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

I been lucky so far, never had my scooters impounded.

@ clarequilty

PS, Can try to bargain with them,5 out of 10 times it works for long term impounds

It sounds like you have a lot of experience on the subject biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

I been lucky so far, never had my scooters impounded.

giggle.gif , just my thai staff. Over the years, they get pinched for drink driving or failing the drug tests, so i know the procedure.

Also had guest arrested while he was on my rented bike, so while he was in jail, i had to "buy out" the bike

I didn't know the police would sell off impounded bikes if they are not reported stolen? Well off-course they can't keep them forever but?

Why don't you go to the police station and ask? You don't seems to care much about your old Fresh?biggrin.png

You should still be able to sell it for 3-5 K bath if you can get it back.

To "free" your Fresh will cost something like 4-800 bath I guess but only guessing.

4-800 bath thats a hell of a lot of baths just for a bike.

Not to mention the added expense of one bar of soap cheesy.gif for a Pommie

Edited by Mudcrab

This might come as a surprise to you, but the origin of pizza is actually Italian.

No, the origin of pizza is pan- Mediterranean.

The double "Z" in this word is pronounced "tz" as in Vizzavonna " Vitzavonna" in some regions and "T" in others.

Pita, pitza, pizza = a flat peasant bread round, covered in tomato sauce, cheese, olives, onions, even eggs, ground meat, sausage etc, or practically any regional preserves like *just about anything". It's laid down in an oven from which it is pulled when its ready.

We all know about that.

Each Mediterranean region has its specific name for this ageless assembly of whatever is around the house but to suggest that pizza is uniquely Italian makes no sense at all.

Pizza ? Italian ?

Frankfurter, Hamburger, American?

Hey, fuggeddaboudit.

This might come as a surprise to you, but the origin of pizza is actually Italian.

The double "Z" in this word is pronounced "tz" as in Vizzavonna " Vitzavonna" in some regions and "T" in others.

Pita, pitza, pizza = a flat peasant bread round, covered in tomato sauce, cheese, olives, onions, even eggs, ground meat, sausage etc, or practically any regional preserves like *just about anything". It's laid down in an oven from which it is pulled when its ready.

We all know about that.

Each Mediterranean region has its specific name for this ageless assembly of whatever is around the house but to suggest that pizza is uniquely Italian makes no sense at all.

Pizza ? Italian ?

Hey, fuggeddaboudit.

Well, mister Google, the pizza as we know it has its origins in Naples (Napoli in Italian) which is a city and region in Italy, hence the origin is Italian. wai.gif

@ clarequilty

Thanks. I'm just guessing that up here in the far upcountry, the rural police station and the impound are the same place.

We all know about that.

Pizza ? Italian ?

Hey, fuggeddaboudit.

Well, mister Google, the pizza as we know it has its origins in Naples (Napoli in Italian) which is a city and region in Italy, hence the origin is Italian.

I suppose if one restricts one's frame of reference and one evidence so that one's conclusion fits one's postulate ( "as we know it" ???? really?? ) then in the realm of one's woefully stultified reference field one is going to be right all of the time.

As in "the Neapolitan pizza is Italian"

Fughedabouddit

Just got the bike back from the police, and yes, it was just there in the back of the rural police station. And you fellows will never guess how much they charged me: not one thin baht! Remarkable. It even started right up, though the tank was almost empty. Alas the engine's still pretty well shot - after 15 minutes of running well it began to have its old problems again.

Edited by ClareQuilty
  • Like 1