Thai South Crisis: Insurgent Bombs Should Be Defused On Site

webfact

SOUTH CRISIS
Bombs 'best defused on site'

The Nation

30204650-01_big.jpg

NARATHIWAT: -- Insurgent bombs should be defused or dismantled at the site instead of being done at military ordnance labs, a senior Army explosives expert said yesterday.

He was referring to an explosion on Monday, which killed three Navy personnel and wounded six others at a barracks in Narathiwat.

Colonel Somkhuan Khongying said the explosion at Marines Task Force 32 in Bacho district could have resulted from electrical sparks set off as officers were defusing the bomb, not necessarily a hidden explosive as widely speculated.

Some 500 people attended the bathing rite at a Narathiwat temple yesterday for three Marines killed while inspecting the "disarmed" explosive. The Army and related agencies also initially provided Bt1 million in assistance along with the "Bang Rachan" medal to the deceased Marines' families.

Meanwhile, Malaysian army officers manned 10 temporary checkpoints on the Kolok River opposite Narathiwat to allow only Malaysians to pass, in a bid to prevent attacks during the national election, due on May 5, from insurgents opposed to peace talks which Malaysia has brokered.

National Security Council secretary-general Paradorn Pattanathabutr said earlier that the peace talks with militant Muslim leaders would continue despite ongoing violence in the deep South.

Paradorn admitted unrest had not diminished since the talks last month with Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) in Kuala Lumpur, but said problems would continue with or without the dialogue, as it stemmed from both the insurgency, plus illegal border trade.

"The frequency of violent activities in the South has increased but the degree of violence has been milder. Security has been stepped up in many areas such as Narathiwat's Bacho district," he said.

Individuals who recently put up anti-peace banners were youths, but the government encouraged all groups to take part in the peace process so Thailand could learn about all problems in a bid to solve them, he said. The talks had started with BRN as it was the largest group, and they admitted they could not control all insurgent factions.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-24

Na, it's always better to pick up the bombs and defuse them somewhere else. What's the worst that could happen?

41KIyM1.jpg

Of course, it should only be moved after the GT-200 confirms that it is in fact a bomb.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10013022/Businessman-found-guilty-of-selling-fake-bomb-detectors-to-governments.html

Seems that the GT 2000 was a 15 USD novelty golf ball detector.

The Thai military still refuses to admit they were duped even now. I believe it is still in use in the South of Thailand. Even their best forensic 'scientist' backed the device, despite no scientific evidence. She's in trouble in Malaysia now that they have discovered she's nothing but a fraud too, but I digress.

What can you expect when they paid 900,000thb per unit, when they could have ordered it off the internet for less than 500thb. laugh.png

They are either very, very dumb, wholly corrupt, or a mixture of both.

I wonder if the GT200 was used in this terrible tragedy, and how many more deaths it has contributed to? sick.gif

Edited by FarangTalk
  • Like 1

The Thai military still refuses to admit they were duped even now. I believe it is still in use in the South of Thailand. Even their best forensic 'scientist' backed the device, despite no scientific evidence. She's in trouble in Malaysia now that they have discovered she's nothing but a fraud too, but I digress.

What can you expect when they paid 900,000thb per unit, when they could have ordered it off the internet for less than 500thb. laugh.png

I wonder if the GT200 was used in this terrible tragedy, and how many more deaths it has contributed to? sick.gif

Please, please, digress a bit, she used to be one of my favorite Thai celebrities till she stepped on it about the fraudulent bomb divining rods

^ Actually the defusing should first be handled by a select group hand-picked by the Thai authorities from all the 'insurgents' currently held in Thai custody.

If the first select group fails then send in the second if anything remains.

• Like 1

Please, please, digress a bit, she used to be one of my favorite Thai celebrities till she stepped on it about the fraudulent bomb divining rods

The mere fact that she wanted to be a famous investigator had me very suspicious from the beginning.

^ Actually the defusing should first be handled by a select group hand-picked by the Thai authorities from all the 'insurgents' currently held in Thai custody.

Problem is half of them have been arrested on the back of evidence from the lost golf ball detector. GT 200

Brilliant best idea I've seen so far