Suthep, Seri Face E C Over Bangkok Election

webfact

Suthep, Seri face EC over Bangkok election
Chanikarn Phumhiran
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Seri Wongmonta, an academic on mass communications, and Democrat leading member Suthep Thaugsuban, on Tuesday met investigators of the Election Commission to deny charges of having framed the Pheu Thai gubernatorial candidate.

Seri met the sub-committee of the Bangkok Election Commission at the EC head office and denied he had framed Pheu Thai candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen as alleged by former senator Ruangkrai Likijwatana.

Seri told the sub-committee he had nothing to do with the Democrats and he clearly stated that his article urging Bangkok voters to vote for Democrat candidate Sukhumbhand Paribatra was his personal view and analysis based on facts.

Seri said he did not frame Pongsapat-- but he simply considered that Pongsapat belonged to the Pheu Thai.

He said his article re-published on the M-Thai web was edited to remove some parts.

Seri noted that several other persons wrote similar comments on the Bangkok governor's election so it was a double standard for the EC to single him out.

Suthep yesterday met the sub-committee and denied he had framed Pongsapat during Sukhumbhand's election campaign. During the election rally, Suthep said, he simply talked about facts he had learned.

The sub-committee accused Suthep of framing the Pheu Thai Party, with allegations that the Pheu Thai and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism, and that Thaksin was controlling the Pheu Thai's election.

Suthep said he won the sub-committee's permission to submit his explanations on May 14.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-24

• Like 1

Shock Horror, politician rubbishes the opposing-party candidate, during an election-campaign ! ohmy.png

And independent academic expresses a personal opinion, which happens to be against the governments' wishes, in an article. blink.png

PTP seem (hopefully wrongly) to be absolutely desperate to Stamp Out and punish any trace of normal democratic behaviour, or of free speech, now that they're in-power, don't they ?

Not that it's yet another case of Double Standards, or anything !

Isn't it way past time, for the legal-PM to get a grip, on her party's ongoing undemocratic antics ? Or would that be contrary to orders from the real-PM ? wink.png

Be careful you may have framed the PM

Shock Horror, politician rubbishes the opposing-party candidate, during an election-campaign ! ohmy.png

And independent academic expresses a personal opinion, which happens to be against the governments' wishes, in an article. blink.png

PTP seem (hopefully wrongly) to be absolutely desperate to Stamp Out and punish any trace of normal democratic behaviour, or of free speech, now that they're in-power, don't they ?

Isn't it way past time, for the legal-PM to get a grip, on her party's ongoing undemocratic antics ? Or would that be contrary to orders from the real-PM ? wink.png

Which one ?

• Like 1

Well, there's rubbishing and then there is telling lies, which can lead to defamation cases here. For example it's probably not a good idea to say this

The sub-committee accused Suthep of framing the Pheu Thai Party, with allegations that the Pheu Thai and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism,

without a shred of evidence.

Don't bother replying with all the usual rhetoric, concentrate on what he is accusing people of and then think about it before posting knee jerk responses.

How did the PTP plan to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism? Once the base was seized where were they supposed to direct this terrorism - It obviously couldn't be Bangkok because if they had already seized it there would be no need for local terrorism so it must be elsewhere, maybe the South? How would this help the election effort?

Or is it more likely to be the case that Suthep is shooting from the lip again? This time however he may have gone too far.

• Like 2

They are complete right to do so....The same as Erich Honecker was right. Margot is still alive they should consult her how to change the school system.

Everyone is equal some are more equal.....

Well, there's rubbishing and then there is telling lies, which can lead to defamation cases here. For example it's probably not a good idea to say this

>The sub-committee accused Suthep of framing the Pheu Thai Party, with allegations that the Pheu Thai and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism,

Don't bother replying with all the usual rhetoric, concentrate on what he is accusing people of and then think about it before posting knee jerk responses.

How did the PTP plan to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism? Once the base was seized where were they supposed to direct this terrorism - It obviously couldn't be Bangkok because if they had already seized it there would be no need for local terrorism so it must be elsewhere, maybe the South? How would this help the election effort?

Or is it more likely to be the case that Suthep is shooting from the lip again? This time however he may have gone too far.

Muttley is right.

But lets be honest and balanced - many of the PTP faithful in the time since the 2010 - accused Suthep and Abhisit of directly ordering soldiers to shoot the unarmed protesters (without a shred of evidence) so as far as i'm concerned what good for the goose is good for the gander.

Thailand would be a much better place if the army rounded up all the politicians, towed them out to sea, shot them and left em for shark food.

I'm also fairly sure that in some secret part of the world there is an indoctrination program for politicians, which involves a special course on 'How to be a complete cock and get away with it'. Fairly sure David Cameroon / George Osbourne and co have been on the same course as well.

• Like 2

>>The sub-committee accused Suthep of framing the Pheu Thai Party, with allegations that the Pheu Thai and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism,

Having read the OP, and noticing the poor use of English such as "framed" (which requires evidence, even if false) rather than "defamed", I have to wonder if you are having a knee-jerk reaction to a poorly written/translated article.

Edited by OzMick

I don't understand the framed him to be a PTP member. Isn't that the impression Yingluck was trying to carry when she took time off from her Prime Minister of Thailand job to campaign for him?

I suppose in reality we could say took off time from shopping or globe trotting to gain a few more Photo Ops.

The sub-committee accused Suthep of framing the Pheu Thai Party, with
allegations that the Pheu Thai and former prime minister Thaksin
Shinawatra planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism

I wonder if it should read 'Shinawatra had planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism in 2010'.

Then he would be telling the truth.

>>The sub-committee accused Suthep of framing the Pheu Thai Party, with allegations that the Pheu Thai and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism, <

/span>

Having read the OP, and noticing the poor use of English such as "framed" (which requires evidence, even if false) rather than "defamed", I have to wonder if you are having a knee-jerk reaction to a poorly written/translated article.

Suthep has previous of shooting from the lip. Ozmick, defending the indefensible, whould've thought.

I wonder if it should read 'Shinawatra had planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism in 2010'.

My same argument applies regardless of the date. You seem very assured that Thaksin planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism in 2010 - the very truth you say.

Ever stop and think first before posting? If you wanted to seize Bangkok and use at a base for terrorism, had (at the beginning) around 100,000 people supporting you, would you plonk the majority of them down in a park, unarmed, and stay there for 2 months?

My same argument applies regardless of the date. You seem very assured that Thaksin planned to seize Bangkok as a base for terrorism in 2010 - the very truth you say.

Ever stop and think first before posting? If you wanted to seize Bangkok and use at a base for terrorism, had (at the beginning) around 100,000 people supporting you, would you plonk the majority of them down in a park, unarmed, and stay there for 2 months?

No I certainly wouldn't and that's not what happened. The armed wing had it's base in the park but the cannon fodder were in Rachaprasong (ever heard of it?).

Actually I was paraphrasing what Suthep allegedly said & I didn't regard it as terrorism. Riots, intimidation, arson, bomb firing, shooting & brainwashing from the stage - is what it was. Also the 100k is fiction and many of the 'supporters' were paid.

I'd suggest that you yourself have a think before posting a history re-writing effort.

Don't bother replying with all the usual rhetoric,

Why ever would I bother to reply, to someone I've had on 'Ignore', for ages ? laugh.png

It would be bad for my blood-pressure, and serve no useful purpose, some minds are permanently closed.

No I certainly wouldn't and that's not what happened. The armed wing had it's base in the park but the cannon fodder were in Rachaprasong (ever heard of it?).

Actually I was paraphrasing what Suthep allegedly said & I didn't regard it as terrorism. Riots, intimidation, arson, bomb firing, shooting & brainwashing from the stage - is what it was. Also the 100k is fiction and many of the 'supporters' were paid.

I'd suggest that you yourself have a think before posting a history re-writing effort.

"100k is fiction"!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously you weren't there.

Perhaps you just viewed thai tv. You know where the cameraman would only ever show a small segment of the crowd!

That reminds me when they had the debate in parliament in the aftermath when PT tried showing images everytime the camera would go out of focus. In and out of focus. Woooah... Not so when the dems were exhibiting of course.

Let's remind ourselves that people came down from the north east leaving their businesses, farms, families etc.

They needed gasoline and food. So many got money much of which was raised at open air fundraisers as was filmed and reported by the BBC.

Go figure.

Was wondering what happened to the PT candidate using celebrities pictures without their knowledge or authority?

Been paid off perhaps?

Thats about as on topic as wondering about what happened to the Democrat MP going to court over his murder conviction?

The photoshoped celebrity pictures were a student-like prank by too enthousiastic red-shirt supporters. As we all know that's not the same as an non-related individual posting "don't vote this party", or an MP saying something about 2010 although for some Bangkok voters is still a burning question.

So, to conclude, a private person is being censored and an MP can't say what lots of people think and for which the 'innocent victim' didn't even bother to wake up his bloodhounds to file a defamation case.

In the mean time, but only off topic, the CC building is blocked by other democracy lovers