David48

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have run out of likes for the day.

Thanks for all those who share the sentiment of the day, to lost loved ones and others who survived (my dad) and continued on with their lives in their homeland with honour and humility as role models who are, even today revered.

Thanks also to webfact who dropped their feature story into this OP ... thumbsup.gif

In Sydney at the moment and went to my first Anzac March in nearly 20 years. A glorious day and just brilliant to see all the support shown. The old vets are mostly riding in cars now and their numbers are dwindling but they looked great and happy enjoying the moment along with the numbers of younger vets. It was a big march and I don't remember it ever being that big before.

Thanks for protecting us and Lest We Forget.

• Like 1

It's sad to think that in just a few more generations the two World Wars will be nothing but a few pages in the history books as those that were alive between those conflicts, or born as baby-boomers and Gen-X, age, and depart the world. I recall my Dad talking of his forebears that served in the Boer War and thinking that it didn't have much meaning to me at the time. I can see even in my own kids now (in their 20's) that they have no understanding of the huge sacrifices that their Grandparent's generation made in the 1940's. One more generation and perhaps ANZAC Day will just be a public holiday with very little remembrance of those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Lest we Forget, lest we Forget.

We still get high turn outs in New Zealand for ANZAC services. A recent poll showed people felt ANZAC day was more important to us than Waitangi Day, our supposed national day.

My Grandfather was in the Military Police during Vietnam, a war which is not as freely remembered as WWI & WWII. Each day I walk past the memorial standing in the foyer of my workplace (NZ Rail) and make sure my poppy lies with them on the monument as they stood for me. I join ANZAC day celebrations in living memory of my Grandfather, a great man.

Sadly, I wonder how long it will be until we all have to march again. I wonder if the casualties would be even higher, considering modern weaponry, which is much more accurate and deadly than the weapons of the previous wars, which caused much higher and more atrocious injuries rather than a higher casualty rate.

As ANZAC's we lost a large proportion of an entire generation of men in our country for the freedom of everyone - a sacrifice made indiscriminate of race, gender, social standing or reputation. Our current global generation could learn a lot adhering to these same beliefs in so many facets of day to day life.

Thank you to the 8,141 Australian Soldiers and approx. 12,000 NZ Soldiers who sacrificed their lives in exchange for a legacy of chance and hope.

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N82wNJFVeK8

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

EDIT ... apologies for the Christian comment

... don't know how that was slipped in.

Don't apologise, its a valid and accurate comment and should be reflected on.

• Like 1

I am a South African and join you in remembering the fallen men of WW1 and WW2.

However I cannot join you in the remembrance of the Anglo-Boer war. A war in which the British empire attacked independent nations to obtain their gold mines and in the process followed a strategy that led to the deaths of 50% of the Boer children under the age of 16. My grandmother survived the concentration camp, but they lost everything, the farm house was burned down, theit wells were poisoned, their cattle killed and the fields was salted. They were so poor after the war that my grandmother wore clothes made from flour bags. When she talked about the years in the concentration camp she compared it to the Nazi's camps in WW2. Women and children died of starvation, received little or no medical care and stayed in tents without proper clothing and heating. Untill today no apology from the Brits for what they did. So forgive me if I can't have the same views of the Anglo-Boer war.

Just received this joke couple of hours ago and feel it fit in well showing the good friendship between Ausies and New Zealanders.

On a tour of NZ, the Pope took a couple of days off to visit the ocean for some sightseeing.
He was cruising along the beach at Wanganui in his car, when there was a frantic commotion just off the shore.

A helpless man wearing a green and gold Aussie rugby jersey was struggling frantically to free himself, from the jaws of a 5-metre shark.
As the Pope watched horrified, a Waka cruised up alongside with two men wearing All Black jerseys.

Rangi quickly threw a harpoon into the shark's side. Hohepa reached out and pulled the mauled, bleeding and semi-conscious Aussie from the water. Then, using long clubs, Rangi and Hohepa killed the shark and hauled it into the boat.

Immediately the Pope summoned them to the beach, 'I give you my blessing for your brave actions,' he told them. 'I heard that there was some bitter rivalry between New Zealand and Australia , but now I have seen with my own eyes that this is not true.'

As the Pope drove off, Rangi asked Hohepa 'Who the hell was that, bro?'

'That was the Pope cuz' Hohepa replied. 'He's in direct contact with God bro, and has access to all of God's wisdom.'

'Well' Rangi said, 'he may have access to God's wisdom, but he don't know bugger all about shark fishing .......... Is the bait holding up okay, or do we need to get another Aussie?

Hope you had a good laugh. Les we forget.

• Like 1

Sadly, I wonder how long it will be until we all have to march again. I wonder if the casualties would be even higher, considering modern weaponry, which is much more accurate and deadly than the weapons of the previous wars, which caused much higher and more atrocious injuries rather than a higher casualty rate.

First of all, you will not ALL have to march again, will you? It will surely continue to be those willing to go that do. Secondly, there are Aussies and Kiwis serving NOW - some of whom did dangerous and arduous duty in the Middle East and South Asia and they shouldn't be forgotten either.

As for your last point: I don't think one is any more likely to die if hit by ordinance fired now than by what was fired in World War I. In actual fact, huge strides in medical evacuation, emergency trauma treatment, anti- bacterials and medical care means a soldier is far less likely to die from a wound than in wars past. The arguably tragic result is that the ratio between KIAs and severely and permanently disabled has shifted hugely.

Edited by SteeleJoe

My father was a professional soldier from 1943-1966. Though from the Republic of Ireland, he joined the Brit airforce (RAF) aged 18 in 1943 and flew 31 missions over Germany as a rear gunner in the Lancasters of No 75 New Zealand Squadron, including the infamous Dresden firestorm . At VE day in 1945, he enjoyed a beer with the other 2 survivors of the 300 with whom they did the air navigation and gunnery course. After the war he served in the RAF regiment, the brit airforce equivalent of the Royal Marines, in Burma, Malaya, Palestine, Malaya again (where he met my Aussie mum), Aden Protecorate, UK, Cyprus, resigning finally after serving in Singapore during Konfrontasi with Indonesia. In his later years he looked back and saw many of the things he did as being futile and deplored the loss of life of so many fine young men putting their lives on the line for questionable political or economic reasons. In the 70s he did an at that time rare thing, studying for a university degree in Asian Studies and International Relations (part-time) as a mature age student. He had a keen intellect, a dry sense of humour, and compassion for the underdog. He was an officer and a gentleman. I miss his wise counsel.

• Like 2

My father was a professional soldier from 1943-1966. Though from the Republic of Ireland, he joined the Brit airforce (RAF) aged 18 in 1943 and flew 31 missions over Germany as a rear gunner in the Lancasters of No 75 New Zealand Squadron, including the infamous Dresden firestorm . At VE day in 1945, he enjoyed a beer with the other 2 survivors of the 300 with whom they did the air navigation and gunnery course. After the war he served in the RAF regiment, the brit airforce equivalent of the Royal Marines, in Burma, Malaya, Palestine, Malaya again (where he met my Aussie mum), Aden Protecorate, UK, Cyprus, resigning finally after serving in Singapore during Konfrontasi with Indonesia. In his later years he looked back and saw many of the things he did as being futile and deplored the loss of life of so many fine young men putting their lives on the line for questionable political or economic reasons. In the 70s he did an at that time rare thing, studying for a university degree in Asian Studies and International Relations (part-time) as a mature age student. He had a keen intellect, a dry sense of humour, and compassion for the underdog. He was an officer and a gentleman. I miss his wise counsel.

It would seem that, like myself, you are very fortunate to have had such a man in your life.

To his memory...

It's sad to think that in just a few more generations the two World Wars will be nothing but a few pages in the history books as those that were alive between those conflicts, or born as baby-boomers and Gen-X, age, and depart the world. I recall my Dad talking of his forebears that served in the Boer War and thinking that it didn't have much meaning to me at the time. I can see even in my own kids now (in their 20's) that they have no understanding of the huge sacrifices that their Grandparent's generation made in the 1940's. One more generation and perhaps ANZAC Day will just be a public holiday with very little remembrance of those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

There are some wars that are remembered and some wars that are forgotten in Australian history.

There has been a revival of interest in WW1 within Australia and this should continue with the 100 year anniversary approaching.

Many younger Australians are now finding they have now found out they had parents, grandparents, great grandparents who served in WW1 and WW2. It was common for WW1 and WW2 veterans not to talk about their experiences. Many returning World War 1 veterans were told not to talk about it and to get on with their lives. This is one of the reasons why many of their descendants knew little about the wars or their fathers or mothers wartime experiences.

In WW1, from an Australian population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of which over 60,000 were killed and 156,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner. (source; War memorial)

Now, thousands of Australians are making a pilgrimage to partake in the Gallipoli dawn service or just to visit the surrounds. Remembering that Gallipoli was a defeat for British (and ANZAC forces). The real 'action' was to be fought on the Western Front

The Boer War 1899-1902 (or the South African War as it is also known) is Australia's forgotten war. Around 20,00 Australians fought in the Boer War, all volunteers. They joined up primarily in local contingents within their state, with some joining overseas within England or South Africa itself.

The contingents fielded such colourful names as 'NSW Lancers', 'NSW Citizen Bushmen', 'Queensland Imperial Bushmen' '1st NSW Mounted Rifles', 'Tasmanian Mounted Infantry'.

On many war memorials within NSW country Towns you will find a list of those who served in WW1 and WW2, but not the Boer war. The Australian War memorial has incomplete records of exactly how many Australians and their names who served in the Boer War. It is indeed Australia's forgotten war.

My grandfather enlisted in WW1 and spent 3 years primarily on the Western Front. He would never speak about his service or time on the Western Front. In his mid forties, with 4 young children he attempted to enlist in WW2. He was refused.

6 of my ancestors (Great Great Uncle and brothers) went to the Boer War. 5 Brothers and one Uncle the same age as the brothers. The youngest was 16. All 6 returned alive.

Lest we Forget.

I am sure the Aussies want to "forget" the Boer War..........And the Brits too!! (hahaha)

Edited by Deon Cloete

31987_123786627650483_6543892_n.jpg31987_123786744317138_197204_n.jpg31987_123795110982968_7950478_n.jpg31987_123785977650548_5564816_n.jpg

I took these photo's about 6 years ago in Kanchanaburi Thailand, (The Death Railway) The first one is of 5 Australians that did survive.

The graves in Kanchanaburi are well looked after. Financed by the Australian wargraves commission (tax payer) labour by Thais and overseen by the Australian military (6 members posted to kanchanaburi).

Just attended my annual dawn service at Hell Fire and it always sends a chill down my spine, very cold walking down there.

I have to thank the people of Thailand and especially Kanchanaburi in how much respect they display in the maintenance of the war graves.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

Not wanting to start a Trans-Tasman conflict or anything, but is the OP aware that the NZ in ANZAC stands for New Zealand? I see no reference to the fallen soldiers of New Zealand in his posting. I for one will be remembering the fallen soldiers of both Australia and New Zealand on ANZAC day.

It is often forgotten by Australians. New Zealand also suffered a higher casualty rate than Australia

Both ANZAC countries suffered a greater loss of life per capita that any other nation did in either of the two world wars.

This still continues to this day e.g in Afganistan where one notable Asian country decided not to participate in peacekeeping operations because the parliamentarian's and generals deemed it 'too dangerous'.

I just have one comment namely that they should bear that in mind the next time they are invaded.

If it weren't for the allies (ANZACS included) this country would now be speaking 'passar ipoon' as the national language. 'nuff said'

Edited by johnlandy

Your post implies that the postings you are quoting are celebrating the wars themselves. The "hahaha" is somewhat insensitive to say the least.

I don't believe any of us that have posted here have in anyway implied that any of these wars should be celebrated. All war is abhorrent to any right thinking person.

ANZAC Day is a day to remember those that died defending their countries and their way of life (regardless of the rights or wrongs of the war/s themselves or the politics that surrounded the conflicts at the time). In fact every ANZAC Day service that I have been to has always referred to the fallen soldiers from both sides of the conflict.

Perhaps you would care to expand on your post so we can better understand your point of view, or at least appreciate the reason for the apparent disrespect.

The "hahaha" makes no sense at all. Poster is minty-new and is most likely a troll

The graves in Kanchanaburi are well looked after. Financed by the Australian wargraves commission (tax payer) labour by Thais and overseen by the Australian military (6 members posted to kanchanaburi).

Just attended my annual dawn service at Hell Fire and it always sends a chill down my spine, very cold walking down there.

I have to thank the people of Thailand and especially Kanchanaburi in how much respect they display in the maintenance of the war graves.

The cemeteries in Kanchanaburi are exceptionally well maintained. Not a blade of grass out of place.

The museum (i believe it is opposite where the photos from Feesbay John were taken) is also excellent.

• Like 1

If Anyone wants to read a first hand account from an Australian POW who was on the Thai-Burma Railway this is an excellent account.

Roy Whitecross. Slaves of the Son Of Heaven.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6245461-slaves-of-the-son-of-heaven

My father worked with Roy for quite a few years and attended a party with Roy and some of his ex POW mates one time. Roy's mates said out of all the books written (at that time) Roy's was 100% accurate. Can't get a better recommendation than that.

There are some wars that are remembered and some wars that are forgotten in Australian history.

There has been a revival of interest in WW1 within Australia and this should continue with the 100 year anniversary approaching.

Many younger Australians are now finding they have now found out they had parents, grandparents, great grandparents who served in WW1 and WW2. It was common for WW1 and WW2 veterans not to talk about their experiences. Many returning World War 1 veterans were told not to talk about it and to get on with their lives. This is one of the reasons why many of their descendants knew little about the wars or their fathers or mothers wartime experiences.

In WW1, from an Australian population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of which over 60,000 were killed and 156,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner. (source; War memorial)

Now, thousands of Australians are making a pilgrimage to partake in the Gallipoli dawn service or just to visit the surrounds. Remembering that Gallipoli was a defeat for British (and ANZAC forces). The real 'action' was to be fought on the Western Front

The Boer War 1899-1902 (or the South African War as it is also known) is Australia's forgotten war. Around 20,00 Australians fought in the Boer War, all volunteers. They joined up primarily in local contingents within their state, with some joining overseas within England or South Africa itself.

The contingents fielded such colourful names as 'NSW Lancers', 'NSW Citizen Bushmen', 'Queensland Imperial Bushmen' '1st NSW Mounted Rifles', 'Tasmanian Mounted Infantry'.

On many war memorials within NSW country Towns you will find a list of those who served in WW1 and WW2, but not the Boer war. The Australian War memorial has incomplete records of exactly how many Australians and their names who served in the Boer War. It is indeed Australia's forgotten war.

My grandfather enlisted in WW1 and spent 3 years primarily on the Western Front. He would never speak about his service or time on the Western Front. In his mid forties, with 4 young children he attempted to enlist in WW2. He was refused.

6 of my ancestors (Great Great Uncle and brothers) went to the Boer War. 5 Brothers and one Uncle the same age as the brothers. The youngest was 16. All 6 returned alive.

Lest we Forget.

I am sure the Aussies want to "forget" the Boer War..........And the Brits too!! (hahaha)

Your post implies that the postings you are quoting are celebrating the wars themselves. The "hahaha" is somewhat insensitive to say the least.

I don't believe any of us that have posted here have in anyway implied that any of these wars should be celebrated. All war is abhorrent to any right thinking person.

ANZAC Day is a day to remember those that died defending their countries and their way of life (regardless of the rights or wrongs of the war/s themselves or the politics that surrounded the conflicts at the time). In fact every ANZAC Day service that I have been to has always referred to the fallen soldiers from both sides of the conflict.

Perhaps you would care to expand on your post so we can better understand your point of view, or at least appreciate the reason for the apparent disrespect.

You say it quite well. A Soldier is a Soldier they do not start wars, they fight them for Politicians who sit at cocktail parties and discuss them. A soldier respects his enemy and knows very well he is just like him. A soldier knows his enemy has family and he doesn't hate you but will kill you as you will him. A soldier knows your foe is just as scared as you are and he is fighting for his family and country as you are. The trenches of Galopoli proved this where Anzacs and Turkish soldiers exchanged little things like cigarettes and canned food during breaks in fighting, then there would be a shot in the air to signal it was back to business. There was even a break for xmas day.

NO Anzac Day is not glorifying or celebrating war but remembering those that gave thier all and more for thier country and what they believed was right. They set the foundations of society that we have today and I salute each and everyone of them.

Would we better off today if we lost the war/s? I don't know. Would there have been a 2nd world war again I don't know.

Have I ever served in the Military? The answer is yes. Aust WO2 325356.

• Like 2