Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I believe a player died in a Scottish match just last season. Indeed, just searched and found it was Phil O'Donnell of Motherwell in an SPL match. He was also the captain of the team. Evidently he's the fifth in British football to die in a match or die from injuries received in the match, including a Celtic-Rangers derby long ago. Also, I recall a Cameroon player dieing during an international match sometime back, right? There have been others that I vaguely recall. Particularly, the Sevilla player last season. That devastated their players.

StevieH, hope that newspaper I linked to is ok. :o

Also, I love Kuyt, too. Last season 87 points won it. It isn't Spain, but Real Madrid won season before last with 73. Let's average those and say 80, because I think the league is stronger all around kind of like in Spain. Possible, in my opinion. Only time will tell.

Edited by Jimjim

Maybe I should post this in the Jan transfer thread..

Liverpool ready to offload £20m flop Keane in January, says Gerrard

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has hinted that Robbie Keane could leave Anfield in January.

The Ireland striker has struggled to make his mark on Merseyside since arriving from Tottenham for £20.3m in the summer and has been linked with a move back to White Hart Lane.

Republic of Ireland captain Keane, who has spent the last two Premier League games on the bench, is determined to fight for his place, reports the Times.

But former Reds defender Mark Lawrenson, in an interview with Irish radio station Today FM, said: 'Sorry to name drop but I had a drink with Steven Gerrard at a function on Saturday night, and we were talking about Robbie Keane.

'He was saying to me that they [Keane and Gerrard] share the same agent and he thinks something is going to happen with Robbie Keane in January.

'He thinks he's going to be moved on.'

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has hinted that Robbie Keane could leave Anfield in January.

The Ireland striker has struggled to make his mark on Merseyside since arriving from Tottenham for £20.3m in the summer and has been linked with a move back to White Hart Lane.

Republic of Ireland captain Keane, who has spent the last two Premier League games on the bench, is determined to fight for his place, reports the Times.

But former Reds defender Mark Lawrenson, in an interview with Irish radio station Today FM, said: 'Sorry to name drop but I had a drink with Steven Gerrard at a function on Saturday night, and we were talking about Robbie Keane.

'He was saying to me that they [Keane and Gerrard] share the same agent and he thinks something is going to happen with Robbie Keane in January.

Tut tut! - selective reporting "James" - Gerrard distanced himself from these comments and Lawrenson also admitted he DID NOT have this conversation!

Shame on you

Tut tut! - selective reporting "James" - Gerrard distanced himself from these comments and Lawrenson also admitted he DID NOT have this conversation!

Shame on you

What are you talking about?, open any site Telegraph, Daily Mail, Guardian, Independant.

Shame on you

What are you talking about?, open any site Telegraph, Daily Mail, Guardian, Independant.

From "another" <deleted> rag who, in fairness, do get this element right!

Liverpool reacted swiftly and angrily and insisted those were Lawro’s views and not the club’s.

A Reds spokesman said: “Mark’s remarks are his interpretation of a private chat.

"They do no accurately reflect Steven’s opinion of Robbie and they certainly do not tally with Steven’s recollection of the conversation itself.”

Lawro, who made 332 appearances for the Kop side, also put the boot in on boss Rafa Benitez’s judgment over forking out £20million for Keane.

He added: “He got it wrong. If Liverpool played in a Champions League final, an FA Cup final or a massive game they had to win, you know Keane would not start, he’d not get in the team.”

Lawro tried to dig himself out of a hole by insisting: “I’m sorry if I caused any aggravation but it wasn’t meant to. Gerrard’s name should never have come up.

“It wasn’t Steven saying that, it was me saying it.”

But a spokesman for Liverpool said on Tuesday night: “Mark Lawrenson’s remarks are his interpretation of a private chat between the two of them. They do not accurately reflect Steven’s opinion of Robbie Keane and they certainly do not tally with Steven’s recollection of the conversation itself.”

And the rest of the reportage in the TELEGRAPH as you recommend!

But a spokesman for Liverpool said on Tuesday night: “Mark Lawrenson’s remarks are his interpretation of a private chat between the two of them. They do not accurately reflect Steven’s opinion of Robbie Keane and they certainly do not tally with Steven’s recollection of the conversation itself.”

And the rest of the reportage in the TELEGRAPH as you recommend!

You see the statement from the LP spokesperson - interesting that it says the statement does not reflect stevie g's opinion of robbie keane. It's a bit like me saying The Vulcan's statement doesn't reflect how Stevie W feels about Keane.

The way to handle this is to have Stevie G make a comment to clear it up - quick.

Good fun though.

maybe. wasn't said to a london paper though, lawrenson was on the radio.

we've far too many ex-lfc players working in the media now making a living from the club's name when they in fact have little or no contact with the club and know nothing of what really goes on there. appreciate they've got to earn a crust like but there's some right gobshites amongst them.

from football365.com.

LAWRENSON BACKTRACKS OVER KEANE CLAIMS

A grovelling Mark Lawrenson has backtracked over his prediction that Robbie Keane will leave Liverpool in the January transfer window.

The BBC 'football expert' has created a media furore after telling an Irish radio station that he expects Keane to leave Anfield just a few months after completing his 20m transfer from Tottenham. Lawrenson, a former Liverpool player, cited a conversation with Steven Gerrard as he made his prediction.

"I hate to name drop," Lawrenson told The Last Word on Today FM. "But I was having a drink with Gerrard on Saturday and we talked about Keane.

"They share the same agent [struan Marshall] and quite honestly he thinks something is going to happen with Keane in January. Sounds like he could be moved on."

Lawrenson then continued by describing Rafa Benitez's decision to sign the Irishman as a mistake: "He got it wrong. If Liverpool played in a Champions League final, an FA Cup final or a massive game they had to win, you know Keane would not start, he'd not get in the team."

Liverpool have reacted angrily to the remarks, with a spokesman insisting that Lawrenson's "interpretation of a private chat" and "did not accurately reflect Steven's opinion of Robbie Keane and they certainly do not tally with Steven's recollection of the conversation itself", while Lawrenson himself has now backtracked spectacularly on his claims.

In an interview with the Daily Post - rather than the BBC, who have yet to make any mention of the furore despite or because of their association with the pundit - Lawrenson conceded:

"I'm sorry if it caused any aggravation but it wasn't meant to. Steven Gerrard's name should never have come up in terms of Robbie Keane going in January. It wasn't Steven saying that it was me saying it.

"The only connection I was making between the two was that they have the same agent and I have had a hunch for a while that Keane could go.

"But that is my opinion and nothing whatsoever to do with any conversations I had with Steven Gerrard.

"I happened to mention I spoke to him on Saturday night but I didn't mean for that to come across in the way that it has been interpreted."

He's changing "Stevie"

I said before he was spending a lot of time on "our" forum

That crap Avator has been amended

LFC badge next? :D

Go on "James" just a tadge more along the "East Lancs" and you're there :D

:o

Funny as it is, I think that James is pretty comitted, he's even been drinking in the Man U bar in Sukhumvit this week. :D

He's changing "Stevie"

I said before he was spending a lot of time on "our" forum

That crap Avator has been amended

LFC badge next? :D

Go on "James" just a tadge more along the "East Lancs" and you're there :D

:o

Funny as it is, I think that James is pretty comitted, he's even been drinking in the Man U bar in Sukhumvit this week. :D

only eating mate but did check out the price of the booze :D

Hi StevieH, what are you all going to do when they close down Woolworths (The 1st shop opened in Liverpool in 1909)

"On its first day the London Road store was mobbed by ‘shawlies’ - a name given to working-class Liverpool women who were usually elderly and of scruffy appearance - assistants fainted, counters were pushed around and many customers left having failed to pay for their purchases."

PS I think the "shawlies' have mutated into ''hoodies" haven't they.......... :D

More here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/art...s_feature.shtml

and here :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...jobs-to-go.html

It does bode well for the British High Street.......... :o

mate i'm gutted about this, like part of your childhood being erased. bought my first seven inch single in woolie's and every saturday a bag of pick'n'mix. real shame this is.

shawlies are now sunbed-oranged leisure suit wearing pram pushing gang members.

Keane will not go in the January window. The media just needs something to talk about. Pure <deleted>. I contend you cannot judge him on his first few months. It's just not fair but it is the norm in this day of instant communication, instant analysis, and panic in sports. Nobody seems to have any patience anymore.

Arsenal match coming up. This is big. We will have played all the big 3 after this, as the rest have already all done that. If we can come out 1st after this weekend, it gives a massive shout to the title chances.

"shawlies are now sunbed-oranged leisure suit wearing pram pushing gang members."

:o . :D .

Whilst what your are saying is very funny, I suspect that there is more than an ounce of truth to it - and I have been around enough to know that it isn't just Liverpool.

:D . :D .

Latest transfer speculation:

Today’s Mirror claims: Liverpool are set to make a bid for Tottenham Hotspurs’ Aaron Lennon, with out-of-favour winger Pennant thought to be part of a swap deal.

Any thoughts on this? Might not be a bad move...

Certainly Pennant is clearly not in Raffa plans and Lennon can cause problems with his pace (just a pity he cant cross :o )

YNWA

piece of piss that dev. we'll learn 'em. rafa back to madrid and torres against his hated rivals. one all draw at their place and a two nil lesson at anfield.

mancs will beat inter, arsenal will do roma but juve could give chelsea serious problems.

piece of piss that dev. we'll learn 'em. rafa back to madrid and torres against his hated rivals. one all draw at their place and a two nil lesson at anfield.

mancs will beat inter, arsenal will do roma but juve could give chelsea serious problems.

Real is the best draw for the English contingent for sure. I agree your prediction for us but suspect Inter will do the Mancs (and I REALLY hope so), Arsenal will have their hands full with Roma and may not have enough and it's goodbye to Chelsea!

I wouldn't say goodbye to Chelsea of any of the English teams. At least two of them will survive and possibly all of them.

As for Real Madrid, they're who I voted for in the online poll on the LFC website. So, I'm quite happy. I've always wanted to see them play Real Madrid. This is what the Champions League is about. Not to play Sporting Lisbon or Panathanikos, but to play massive clubs like this, whatever stage it may be.

well whoever plays up front kind of owes a performance whatever really. if it's keane he has a decent goal record against arsenal for spurs, if it's babel he could start pulling his finger out of his arse and reminding people why he cost 11m quid and is a dutch international.

xabi could be a good shout though. however i'm hearing worrying rumours that mascherano has got the 'flu and might miss the game.