Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Most teams pick up at least one strategic long run injury in the first half. Arsenal have Jack WIlshere out until at least January from the opening games of the season. Bad luck guys nevertheless, it did look like a nasty one.

I was surprised both Chelsea and Liverpool were first team starter-rich. It's taken Wenger 5 or 6 years to recognise that the Milk Cup is only worth the effort for the B teamers supported by the odd A teamer on the bench. SAF has known that for a couple of seasons at least. New boys to the UK scene like AVB will learn quick, but I thought Kenny had more smarts. I guess on reflection though you guys don't have the European diversion so maybe it was more justifiable for Liverpool.

Absolutely devastated. If only he could have been substituted right away after the second goal. I was worried he could get injured as he was working hard the whole match 48 hours after playing on Sunday.

I have no problem with us going for the Carling Cup, it's a competition we can win and we've had no trophy to celebrate in over five years.

We're not in Europe so there's no problem trying to win this one this year. 7 changes were made from the weekend and those 7 players definitely appreciated a game. Let's be honest it's easier for keepers so playing Reina was no problem. I was always worried Enrique, Lucas and Henderson could be injured and it happened.

I don't care what Wenger and Ferguson do, that's their own opinions and their teams are involved in a 4th competition. Irrelevant to us, especially this season.

If it's seen as a worthless comp that's just someone's opinion, but I don't think any fan is going to complain if their club reaches a final at Wembley. If they are, I think they're mad...

Lucas will be a huge miss, though. That match where it was Stevie G and Adam in midfield we obviously missed Lucas, so we have to sort that out. Hope Stevie G can come back soon, too, but I'd even give a shout for a 3-man midfield with Spearing in there filling the Lucas role as best he can. Have Adam and Henderson or Adam and Gerrard playing more forward with Spearing behind them. Spearing plays more similar to Lucas than any of our other midfielders, in my opinion. So in matches where we need that role more than others, I'd vote Spearing to play.

We'll see what Kenny does but obviously the likes of Spearing, Henderson, and the recalled Shelvey will get more chances to play in the center, or at least compete for a spot there.

Well we have to move on, so what's the guesses for Monday's lineup in midfield away to Fulham?

Hmmm, I could see Spearing, Adam and Henderson all centrally with Suarez up front and the wingers from Downing, Maxi, Bellamy or Kuyt.

Will be an interesting December and January with a lot of matches played, so we need Gerrard to get back and add more depth to our midfield!

Edited by Jimjim

I agree Jimjim.

The reality is that I suspect most Liverpool supporters would give up a semi-final in return for a fully fit Lucas rather than one that had been inflicted by a terrible injury. But it was incredibly unfortunate rather than a natural consequence of playing too many games.

Actually I think the key to something like the League Cup is that managers explain the extent to which it is a priority. Dalglish has placed some priority on the Cup on the basis that as we are not in Europe we do actually have the ability to focus on it. And winning silverware is part of the sport.

I can understand why say Spurs who have to take part in the Europa and the League Cup choose to prioritise neither. Obviously Wenger doesnt rate winning silverware very high in his priorities in the first place..

Absolutely devastated. If only he could have been substituted right away after the second goal. I was worried he could get injured as he was working hard the whole match 48 hours after playing on Sunday.

I have no problem with us going for the Carling Cup, it's a competition we can win and we've had no trophy to celebrate in over five years.

We're not in Europe so there's no problem trying to win this one this year. 7 changes were made from the weekend and those 7 players definitely appreciated a game. Let's be honest it's easier for keepers so playing Reina was no problem. I was always worried Enrique, Lucas and Henderson could be injured and it happened.

I don't care what Wenger and Ferguson do, that's their own opinions and their teams are involved in a 4th competition. Irrelevant to us, especially this season.

If it's seen as a worthless comp that's just someone's opinion, but I don't think any fan is going to complain if their club reaches a final at Wembley. If they are, I think they're mad...

Lucas will be a huge miss, though. That match where it was Stevie G and Adam in midfield we obviously missed Lucas, so we have to sort that out. Hope Stevie G can come back soon, too, but I'd even give a shout for a 3-man midfield with Spearing in there filling the Lucas role as best he can. Have Adam and Henderson or Adam and Gerrard playing more forward with Spearing behind them. Spearing plays more similar to Lucas than any of our other midfielders, in my opinion. So in matches where we need that role more than others, I'd vote Spearing to play.

We'll see what Kenny does but obviously the likes of Spearing, Henderson, and the recalled Shelvey will get more chances to play in the center, or at least compete for a spot there.

Well we have to move on, so what's the guesses for Monday's lineup in midfield away to Fulham?

Hmmm, I could see Spearing, Adam and Henderson all centrally with Suarez up front and the wingers from Downing, Maxi, Bellamy or Kuyt.

Will be an interesting December and January with a lot of matches played, so we need Gerrard to get back and add more depth to our midfield!

Good post Jim, would agree with that.

Looking back to how Jay stepped up at the end of last season when Kenny came on board and the recent good performance in the Chelsea game gives me reason to believe Jay can play a role more similar to what Lucas or even what Macherano did.

However all those games were partnering with Lucas... The problem is Jays not had a run of first team action for a bit so hoping he hits the ground running.Gerrard surely has to be eased back in to games and used sparingly.

I see Adam and Spearing as our main partnership centrally in the midfield now. And Gerard being used as a more attacking option behind the front man.

I believe we may have to splash the cash in January for a Lucas style player! No guarantees Lucas can get back to his best when he returns in 6-8 months given the serious nature of Cruciate injuries - hope I am wrong though.

(dam IPAD not compatible with TV)

Edited by Devil

"Have you ever seen a dog wake itself up by farting? The shock and bewilderment of not knowing whats just happened despite doing it itself?

Thats what Jordan Henderson reminds me of!

Posted to the football365.com mailbox by a Liverpool fan. :lol:

Big game tonight lads, lose this one and you could find the chasing pack very difficult to catch :(

Its a must win game tonight :ph34r:

17.gif Quiet on here, i think the preasure's getting to them already carms :o

Tough prospect at home. Mind you they still have their £35m to "unleash" biggrin.gif

Big game tonight lads, lose this one and you could find the chasing pack very difficult to catch :(

Yeah back to the boring stuff. And trying to beat the smaller clubs, something we are not particularly good at.

And on a Monday evening (I certainly wont be awake for it.) Monday matches used to be a complete hoodoo under Benitez. It took him nearly 6 years to win his first League match with Liverpool on a Monday.

Talking of Benitez looks like he is quite likely to take over as manager of PSG. Would seem an ideal appointment for him.

Monday matches used to be a complete hoodoo under Benitez. It took him nearly 6 years to win his first League match with Liverpool on a Monday.

Is there a special internet site, you get these facts from?

No not really. It is just that I have a mind for stats. So when I read a review of the match tonight what sticks in my mind is the fact that if Liverpool win it will equal the record number of consecutively away wins that the club has achieved as opposed to which Fulham players are injured.

Also I look at stats, statistically. For instance, we are without Lucas. A stat about Lucas that I have seen is that 'over the last two seasons to date, LFC have won 48% of matches that he has played and only 29% of matches that he hasnt played.' Now if you follow Liverpool you would likely realize that is a heavily bias stat on the basis that there have been very few league games that Lucas has not played in. If you are interested in stats you would know that the stat tells you there were 7 games in which he didnt play of which Liverpool won 2 because you understand the number 29%.

You were robbed last night i thought. I also doubt if Andy's going to get many more games.

You won't see a more ridiculous sending off all season.

Mind you with these officials anything is possible. Its ruining games this....bring on the technology.

You were robbed last night i thought. I also doubt if Andy's going to get many more games.

Mind you with these officials anything is possible. Its ruining games this....bring on the technology.

I certainly agree with the sentiment - technology has virtually ended the arguments about refs in rugby and tennis.

Also it seems to me the rules in football are deliberately opaque to protect the referees in the first place. I didnt actually watch the match but it seems that it almost wasnt a foul on the basis that he got to the ball.

On the other hand, if you look at this pic from the Daily Mail, you can see why the referee might consider it a two footed studs up tackle (which I think is a red card offense.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2070381/Fulham-1-Liverpool-0-Christmas-comes-early-Jol-Reina-gifts-Cottagers-win.html

I certainly agree with the sentiment - technology has virtually ended the arguments about refs in rugby and tennis.

Also it seems to me the rules in football are deliberately opaque to protect the referees in the first place. I didnt actually watch the match but it seems that it almost wasnt a foul on the basis that he got to the ball.

On the other hand, if you look at this pic from the Daily Mail, you can see why the referee might consider it a two footed studs up tackle (which I think is a red card offense.)

http://www.dailymail...tagers-win.html

Under the new rule, getting the ball is irrevelent if you take the man out after ;)

I thougt Cahill's sending off against you guys was one of the most ridiculous I've seen all season, so I'm looking forward to seeing the Liverpool one.

Luiz's non-sending off at Newcastle was amazing - until I heard the referee's explanation; apparently he thought that the ball would run through to the keeper. The view we had showed that would not be the case but, from behind and at pitch level it sounds like an acceptable reason for it being a difficult judgement call.

Going back to Cahill, ESPN just said that the ref explained that it was a red because the Spurs player was through on goal. ???? that really does make it themost inexplicable red card I have seen all season.

My biggest criticism of refs this season is the hopeless inconsistency with which they decide whether an offence is a yellow card or just a foul. IMO far too many yellows are handed out to players who have clearly attempted to get the ball and have mistimed their tackle in a non-dangerous way. Going the other way refs are far too lenient on the obviously deliberate barge in the back (rarely gets a yellow card) and use of the arm, rather than the shoulder in a side-on-side challenge. Dowd seems to book anyone who clatters anyone after about the 10th minute, regardless of motive and Clattenberg seems to keep his cards close to his chest for far too long and sometimes ends up with players taking advantage so that he has to go on a booking spree.

In fact the most ridiculous thing I've witnessed all season is Gary Neville's opinions...oh and the tactics screen he likes to piss about with.

Nuff said.

If Sky thinks its average viewer so dense as to be interested remotely in what a retard like Gary Neville has to say why don't they save the wages and hire Roland rat instead. They look alike and Roland would probably add some interest to the coverage.

Has anyone ever been banned for a middle finger?

I seem to remember a similar middle finger incident in the last few months but can't remember the player or team or if there was a ban. Anyone help me out? My memory's not good enough.

I searched online with general terms and all I could find was G. Neville flipping off Tevez in a Manchester derby January 2010 and all I found were stories saying he'd been charged or was being investigated but nothing about any punishment.

Anyway, next time I see Clint Dempsey I think I'll forecefully push my forehead against his just little enough that it can't be a clear headbutt, then yell in his face with spit coming out of my mouth, for no apparent reason. Texan jackass. (yes I'm bitter about his goal, and his way over-reaction about a hard tackle, and I've always been a fan of his when he plays for USA, but for today he's just a jackass from Texas to me)

I seem to remember reading about one quite recently, and perhaps it wasn't even the Premier league. Didn't Rooney make a gesture sometime recently, or am I just thinking of his cuss words into the camera?

In any case, I've looked at a bit further and it looks like it could just be a fine for Suarez if found guilty, according to one story.

I seem to remember reading about one quite recently, and perhaps it wasn't even the Premier league. Didn't Rooney make a gesture sometime recently, or am I just thinking of his cuss words into the camera?

In any case, I've looked at a bit further and it looks like it could just be a fine for Suarez if found guilty, according to one story.

Rooney, I believe got a two match suspension by swearing directly and very deliberately into a camera.

Personally, I dont have a problem even if Suarez is suspended. At the end of the day, crowds bate players to get a reaction. Players cant be allowed to make provocative gestures towards the opposition supporters. Players are paid good money to act professionally over this sort of thing. I see this as rather like him clapping the referee. It is unnecessary and it will likely end up harming both himself and the club. It is clear stupidity and I would hate to see him say sent off or suspended when it really matters.

This bugs me far more than his so-called 'diving'. As you can see from the comments from this Fulham defender, players go in on him deliberately hard because he is so difficult to handle. And I can see why he might not be totally committed to staying on his feet in the face of such attention.

'We have to get in hard on him and get on top of him, because if we try to be nice to him he will kill the game off, so you have to be tough.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fa-decision-on-suarezs-latest-spat-due-today-6273157.html

I just watched the clip were Bellamy and Dempsey got yellow cards.

Dempsey was just a whisker away from head butting him it's not even funny. But he forcefully forces his head into Bellamy's head twice and screams in his face. Deserved yellow but I don't see much what Bellamy did there other than talking, compared to Dempsey.

I watched the sending off incident again, as well. All I'll say is if Jay's follow through after winning the ball is a red card, then even more so is Lukaku's tackle on Henderson in the Carling Cup match where it was studs to ankle and he didn't win the ball! (and he didn't even get the yellow, it was given to the wrong player... Although the FA has since given it to Lukaku in retrospect).

I just watched the clip were Bellamy and Dempsey got yellow cards.

Dempsey was just a whisker away from head butting him it's not even funny. But he forcefully forces his head into Bellamy's head twice and screams in his face. Deserved yellow but I don't see much what Bellamy did there other than talking, compared to Dempsey.

I watched the sending off incident again, as well. All I'll say is if Jay's follow through after winning the ball is a red card, then even more so is Lukaku's tackle on Henderson in the Carling Cup match where it was studs to ankle and he didn't win the ball! (and he didn't even get the yellow, it was given to the wrong player... Although the FA has since given it to Lukaku in retrospect).

Disgraceful decision and no idea how its even being debated.

Firstly is was an attempt to make contact with the ball to clear it and momentum has carried Jay onwards into the Fulham player.

And that why we need ex professional footballer being referees - or at least make it a professional occupation