Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Point for us isn't that bad in reality given Chelsea have dropped points and we still there about with Arsenal,Newcastle chasing Chelsea. Fear 4th might be to much and we also have a real tough run of games coming up - just hoping a Cup final win might give us that push.

Sadly a point is only one more point than a loss.

It is essentially wins that determine 4th position.

Hence my comment on nicking two points from you.

And hence my point - which is when you say you 'nick' something from someone, you imply that you are in possession of whatever you 'nicked' - which clearly you are not.

The sad reality of the PL this year is that 'we needed 3 points' to get 4th and you needed 3 points to get 'first'. We can still grab 4th by beating both Chelsea and Arsenal at home (we also have an inherent advantage of having played City twice) but it is incredibly unlikely to happen when we drop points that top 6 teams do not against shitty opposition.

As a Spurs supporter that has a team with the best points average against the bottom ten clubs this year and a bloody awful one last year, I would hope you would appreciate the concept.

I do Abrak. Its improving our record and consistency there which has propelled us into third spot. Newcastle at home next and their strikers are raring to go.

If we don't get moving now in the next six matches we'll be back in a 3/4th place dogfight. So yes we wanted the three points for that reason. No one at Spurs is talking about winning the Premiership. We have been laughing at the commentators talking about challenging.

I do Abrak. Its improving our record and consistency there which has propelled us into third spot. Newcastle at home next and their strikers are raring to go.

If we don't get moving now in the next six matches we'll be back in a 3/4th place dogfight. So yes we wanted the three points for that reason. No one at Spurs is talking about winning the Premiership. We have been laughing at the commentators talking about challenging.

Yes but it a 3/4th dog fight so bad? It simply means you either come 3 or 4th. By my reckoning you can lose your next 3 matches and still wont come 5th.

You might think you had a very boring transfer window but in fact you put in a bid for the only interesting player - Remy. As for Saha his hair is only red because of rust. You are slightly boring from a financial point of view because you are 1) guaranteed CL next year (despite a model based on not being guaranteed CL) 2) there was no significant upside buying players to win the EPL 3) in any case your future manager is open to doubt in all respects (banking on Redknapp at 64 long term is pretty silly) 4) financing the future stadium is virtually impossible but if Levy was to make a huge gamble/leap in the dark it would be financial insanity (unless Joe Lewis is ultimately going to back the financing which is unlikely because of the consequences to his credit rating but perfectly possible).

Yes but it a 3/4th dog fight so bad? It simply means you either come 3 or 4th. By my reckoning you can lose your next 3 matches and still wont come 5th.

You might think you had a very boring transfer window but in fact you put in a bid for the only interesting player - Remy. As for Saha his hair is only red because of rust. You are slightly boring from a financial point of view because you are 1) guaranteed CL next year (despite a model based on not being guaranteed CL) 2) there was no significant upside buying players to win the EPL 3) in any case your future manager is open to doubt in all respects (banking on Redknapp at 64 long term is pretty silly) 4) financing the future stadium is virtually impossible but if Levy was to make a huge gamble/leap in the dark it would be financial insanity (unless Joe Lewis is ultimately going to back the financing which is unlikely because of the consequences to his credit rating but perfectly possible).

I'd prefer a battle for second with Man Yoo. Then we could sit back pipe and slippers at hand and enjoy the rest of the season.

You can do us a favour this weekend.

Score Liverpool 0 – 0 (HT 0 – 0) Tottenham Hotspur Bookings

1. Suárez 70
  2. Skrtel 76

1. Parker 39
  2. Bale 54

Liverpool Tottenham Hotspur's Percentage Possession 52% 48% Corners 8 4 Goal attempts 17 10 On target 4 3 Fouls 8 14 Offside 1 0

According to these stats you scousers must have been watching a different game to everybody else, also how many times did either of your wide players get past the spurs fullbacks ? none, how many times did you play through spurs to create a chance ? none, how many times did you lump the ball up to Andy ( a touch of an elephant ) Carroll ? plenty.

Anyway thanks for the 4 points this season and good luck in your quest for 6th place.

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

With the sides matching each other in midfield, the key to gaining the upper hand was always going to be about changing the game from the bench. Tottenham barely changed things at all, while Liverpool brought on Suarez, but probably too late, and possibly not in the right role. Carroll played well but finished poorly, while Adebayor and Saha were barely involved. Neither side did enough to score.

//

Further proof that you lot were watching a different game to everybody else.

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

With the sides matching each other in midfield, the key to gaining the upper hand was always going to be about changing the game from the bench. Tottenham barely changed things at all, while Liverpool brought on Suarez, but probably too late, and possibly not in the right role. Carroll played well but finished poorly, while Adebayor and Saha were barely involved. Neither side did enough to score.

//

Perhaps you should consider exactly the game I was watching.....

post-23517-0-72399400-1328609591_thumb.j

post-23517-0-49667900-1328609638_thumb.j

Given that is the average position of all the players involved, you might understand why despite having 48% of the time possession, it was implicitly in your half etc...

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

//

yet only one side really tried.

spurs defended outstandingly well and took a valuable point. i don't see what the rest of the debate is supposed to achieve.

Further proof that you lot were watching a different game to everybody else.

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

//

If you wish to highlight the point from a media outlet that 'neither side did enough to score' when the score was 0-0, you are either a moron or assuming that everyone who posts on the thread is a moron. And making the second assumption is remarkably 'heroic'.

Another report confirming that you lot see a different game any by the way you were playing at home.

PREMIER LEAGUE: Liverpool and Tottenham in scoreless stalemate

Submitted by Dave Williams on Mon, 02/06/2012 - 22:11

Tottenham consolidated third place in the Premiership with a hard fought 0-0 draw at Liverpool in a game of few chances.

Luis Suarez returned after a nine-match absence and came on as a second half substitute and was promptly booked within five minutes.

Spurs seemed happy to settle for a point and their keeper Brad Friedel had the most saves to make without really being troubled.

Overall this was a tight game with Tottenham having the best chance to claim three points when Gareth Bale was put clean through with five minutes remaining but Pepe Reina saved with his legs.

Jay Spearing and Martin Kelly went close for the host’s as Liverpool drew at home for the eighth time this season whilst Spurs failed to score in a league game for the first time in 22 games.

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

//

spurs defended outstandingly well and took a valuable point. i don't see what the rest of the debate is supposed to achieve.

I realize that the highlighted piece is stating the obvious Abs but i thought i would throw it in anyway LOL

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

//

I realize that the highlighted piece is stating the obvious Abs but i thought i would throw it in anyway LOL

You could make the case that Liverpool tried to defend the game from the half way line.

Given that is the average position of all the players involved, you might understand why despite having 48% of the time possession, it was implicitly in your half etc...

Yes correct, so what is your point ?

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

//

Oh dear... you lot really are clutching at straws now cheesy.gif

This just gets better now that Alfie is into stats - you might want to include the stats for Territorial Advantage and Total crosses

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

//

You could make the case that Liverpool tried to defend the game from the half way line.

Yes you could.

On the other hand, as I understand football theory the most advanced position you can possibly defend is the half way line. Given that opposition attackers can always go to the half way line and not be 'offside', if you place your defenders ahead of them, they are not actually 'defending' if you define 'defense as prevention from attack'.

dave williams from tribalfootball.com? that's a source? bloody hell.

nobody's said it wasn't a 'tight game' alfie.

Well you didn't say that with an earlier post

quite surprised to see title-chasing spurs come to anfield and play like a bottom half club to be honest. bit disappointed we didn't win really

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

//

This just gets better now that Alfie is into stats - you might want to include the stats for Territorial Advantage and Total crosses

Well they didn't get crosses in from dangerous positions cos you didn't get past out full backs all night which is backed up by the number of chances you had on goal, a measly 4 to our 3.

From a tactics website :

Conclusion

//

Of course you were in our half more than we were in yours because most of the time you were just punting it up to the elephant who happened to be standing in our half.

Yes correct, so what is your point ?

When you say that 'neither side did enough to score' when the score is 0-0 and call it 'stating the obvious' and you thought it was worth stating anyways, you should realize that it is 'axiomatic' a bit like you are a live human being. There is no obvious evidence that you are in fact sentient.

So on that basis if I explained to you the point of my post, it would make me incredibly stupid.

Of course you were in our half more than we were in yours because most of the time you were just punting it up to the elephant who happened to be standing in our half.

He had a good game and is playing well. That's what King Kenny said after the game.

He forgot to add that he's playing so well he warrants a swap deal with Tevez. I'm sure this was simply an oversight on his part.

He had a good game and is playing well. That's what King Kenny said after the game.

He forgot to add that he's playing so well he warrants a swap deal with Tevez. I'm sure this was simply an oversight on his part.

To be fair Smokes, kenny must cringe when he see's Carrolls 1st touch

He did sound a tad defensive I must say!

Ok we got it. You got a draw at Anfield and that is a good result. I think we are all agreed that you werent at your best and although we were probably the better side on the night, we cant complain with the result on the basis that we didnt create enough chances. I think with a point you can claim a moral victory. To the extent we claim any victory it was that we were probably the better side which we have not been against you in recent matches.

If you had actually won it would have been the first time you had achieved the double double for exactly 100 years since 1911/12 against Liverpool.

We have been much better and had many more chances in matches drawn at Anfield against lesser opposition than you guys so there are no complaints. You can always find something to crow about. Playing badly away from home and not being beaten is fine and a good result. But when you havent beaten Norwich or Swansea etc at home dont expect us to get too depressed. In any case as I remember things you were pretty cocky about winning this match despite having to break down a massively defensive formation - while the reality was we failed to do the opposite.

Ok we got it. You got a draw at Anfield and that is a good result. I think we are all agreed that you werent at your best and although we were probably the better side on the night, we cant complain with the result on the basis that we didnt create enough chances. I think with a point you can claim a moral victory. To the extent we claim any victory it was that we were probably the better side which we have not been against you in recent matches.

If you had actually won it would have been the first time you had achieved the double double for exactly 100 years since 1911/12 against Liverpool.

We have been much better and had many more chances in matches drawn at Anfield against lesser opposition than you guys so there are no complaints. You can always find something to crow about. Playing badly away from home and not being beaten is fine and a good result. But when you havent beaten Norwich or Swansea etc at home dont expect us to get too depressed. In any case as I remember things you were pretty cocky about winning this match despite having to break down a massively defensive formation - while the reality was we failed to do the opposite.

I'm delighted to have gone to Anfield with an injury ravaged side and got a draw against your first team. Good result for us that.

To be honest if you cant see that was a practical joke you must be missing something.

Liverpool to pay his wages? To allow him to where their shirt?

Carroll to get into the MCFC team? Or in their squad?

And just because MCFC are paying you 100k a week for Adebayor, dont expect them to be infinitely stupid. The best 'mutually beneficial' financial deal that MCFC can do with Spurs is to sell Adebayor to them. So the thought of a deal whereby Spurs pay 15m to City who gets paid 10m to cancel his contract and accept a new one at 100k a week sounds like a lot of sense. Spurs get a cheap forward, City get 5m net for a player that is costing them 100k a week not to play, and Adebayor gets rich and plays.

It is perhaps justifiable to subsidize a player to play for someone else when you know that player cannot play against you. There is at least a theoretical cost and a benefit. And the Adebayor loan deal may have been done under the assumption that Spurs were not a serious competitor at the time. But they would be seriously insane to sell you Adebayor at a decent price because if you buy him on the cheap you are only putting up the price of MCFC competing with you and we both know who has the lower cost of capital.

Score Liverpool 0 – 0 (HT 0 – 0) Tottenham Hotspur Bookings

1. Suárez 70
  2. Skrtel 76

1. Parker 39
  2. Bale 54

Liverpool Tottenham Hotspur's Percentage Possession 52% 48% Corners 8 4 Goal attempts 17 10 On target 4 3 Fouls 8 14 Offside 1 0

According to these stats you scousers must have been watching a different game to everybody else, also how many times did either of your wide players get past the spurs fullbacks ? none, how many times did you play through spurs to create a chance ? none, how many times did you lump the ball up to Andy ( a touch of an elephant ) Carroll ? plenty.

Anyway thanks for the 4 points this season and good luck in your quest for 6th place.

Its called total and utter delusion.

Why is it that Liverpool unlike anyone else "deserve" more points?

Edited by carmine

Interesting debate. I still haven't watched the game so will not comment yet. it seems to me there are more Spurs fans on the Liverpool forum than LFC fans, and they seem pretty defensive. Apparently, a bit like their team on Monday....cheesy.gif