Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

This was better than Fat Boy's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f7_CWOBZv4

Why? Rooney's was a bit closer in, but he took his on the volley. Hard to say one is better than the other.

right, pedant's corner here but this one does my head in - rooney's wasn't a volley. a volley is when you hit the ball having received it from a pass or cross without it having hit the deck first, it's not a bouncing ball.

Does this logic also apply to a half-volley Stevie?

no, a half-volley is exactly that. the ball is hit on the bounce, perfect timing striking it as the ball is in contact with the ground. possibly the hardest attacking skill there is as the percentage for ballooning it over the stand or simply swinging and missing it altogether is huge.

Still think Saurez's one vs Norwich in 2012 was better. It completeed his 1st hatrick as a red.

Crikey, they really are coming out of the woodwork, amazing what a good season can do biggrin.png

Haha with all due respect mate, i just found out about this forum. So i'm not coming out after one good season. Also seeing as i've been a season ticket holder last few years can you hardly say anything to me, i was there when Hodgson took over and through the bad times.

Don't give him any respect lad. He is just a playground bully who normally flounces off (and posts under an alter ego) when the going gets tough. Stevie H calling him a chihuahua is actually insulting to small dogs everywherethumbsup.gif Welcome to the thread mate. Hope to see more of youwai.gif

Cheers mate. Just thought i should let him know before he starts again, but i'll be sure not to give him the time or day.

Hope to enoy my time here and hope to help people when i can.

I should say im from the UK as well, not Thailand lol.

sad.png

Still think Saurez's one vs Norwich in 2012 was better. It completeed his 1st hatrick as a red.

Crikey, they really are coming out of the woodwork, amazing what a good season can do biggrin.png

Picking on newbies again eh Alfie.....becoming a bit of a habit this. Best stay on the tiny totts thread as you won't be getting too many "coming out" on there this season laddiebiggrin.png

Picking on someone !!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif we're on a forum for Christ sake, if that's picking on someone then you've had a very protected life whistling.gif and I thought it was us southerners who were softies laugh.png

Edited by alfieconn

sad.png

Picking on newbies again eh Alfie.....becoming a bit of a habit this. Best stay on the tiny totts thread as you won't be getting too many "coming out" on there this season laddiebiggrin.png

Picking on someone !!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif we're on a forum for Christ sake, if that's picking on someone then you've had a very protected life whistling.gif and I thought it was us southerners who were softies laugh.png

Pulled you on it last time laddie...looks like this guy is made of sterner stuff than the girl you last had a bash at. Get back to the tiny totts sunshine, or post under "fail nonce" or summat coffee1.gif

...but if it's already hit the deck once, and then you catch it sweet as a nut as the ball is in contact with the ground for a second time, is that still a half volley?

Best way is comparing it to a tennis shot. Hitting a bouncing ball will never be described as a volley in that game. Therefore, Rooney's effort could never be described as a volley, even though it was in the air at the time of the strike. A half volley, as in tennis, is when you strike the ball a split second after it hits the deck. Pedants corner over and outwink.png

• Like 1

Why? Rooney's was a bit closer in, but he took his on the volley. Hard to say one is better than the other.

right, pedant's corner here but this one does my head in - rooney's wasn't a volley. a volley is when you hit the ball having received it from a pass or cross without it having hit the deck first, it's not a bouncing ball.

Yep fair point. Funny thing to do your head in about though mate.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning bouncing balls. Brings to mind beach balls for some reason.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

...but if it's already hit the deck once, and then you catch it sweet as a nut as the ball is in contact with the ground for a second time, is that still a half volley?

Best way is comparing it to a tennis shot. Hitting a bouncing ball will never be described as a volley in that game. Therefore, Rooney's effort could never be described as a volley, even though it was in the air at the time of the strike. A half volley, as in tennis, is when you strike the ball a split second after it hits the deck. Pedants corner over and outwink.png
Yeah technically speaking you guys are correct but if a ball is hoofed the length of the pitch by the keeper, and bounces 15 feet in the air, and when it comes back down a striker hits it out of the air without having controlled it in any way, that to me is a volley, even if technically it is not.

Yeah technically speaking you guys are correct but if a ball is hoofed the length of the pitch by the keeper, and bounces 15 feet in the air, and when it comes back down a striker hits it out of the air without having controlled it in any way, that to me is a volley, even if technically it is not.

The bounce has controlled it though, making it easier and more predictable to time the strike

Im my experience, telling Liverpool fans (and Evertons for that matter) to 'calm down' only makes them more angry...(sorry MrB....)

No, doesn't make us angry. Just makes us yawn and feel pity for the unfunny bellend saying it.

Being Welsh and having the sheep jokes every other day, I think the calm down ref is OK and that sometimes we need to be better than to complain about uneducated pi$$takes that are hardly scandalous. I still don't get the bin lifters reference for Liverpool (that may not be completely correct.

I was just about to post the same thing. I think Rooney's lob is actuallybetter than Suareze's, but it is being turned into an urban myth. Last report was 48 meters, what will it be in a years time?

The bounce has controlled it though, making it easier and more predictable to time the strike
Not sure about the ease thing. If a ball gets dinked 5 foot in the air over the head of the defenders, and a striker volleys it, will it have taken more skill than "volleying" a ball that is coming down from 15 feet in the air, albeit from a bounce? I'm not so sure.

Anyway, get the feeling that this debate isn't really about determining what is and what isn't a volley, but rather determining that Rooney's strike wasn't really all that.

sad.png

Picking on newbies again eh Alfie.....becoming a bit of a habit this. Best stay on the tiny totts thread as you won't be getting too many "coming out" on there this season laddie:D

Picking on someone !!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif we're on a forum for Christ sake, if that's picking on someone then you've had a very protected life whistling.gif and I thought it was us southerners who were softies laugh.png

Only when the ladies are around, or so I've heard;) Edited by nellyp
  • Like 1

Not sure about the ease thing. If a ball gets dinked 5 foot in the air over the head of the defenders, and a striker volleys it, will it have taken more skill than "volleying" a ball that is coming down from 15 feet in the air, albeit from a bounce? I'm not so sure.

Anyway, get the feeling that this debate isn't really about determining what is and what isn't a volley, but rather determining that Rooney's strike wasn't really all that.

rooney's goal was excellent. helped him that the keeper's GPS was off like. i just love debating football minutiae like this. i think there's a timing thing which makes the difference between a first-time volley of the ball in the air and a bouncing one though. it's a time to think thing.

Has that goofy bloke or "stevie' ever kissed the league title,,,.?

if by the goofy bloke you mean suarez well he's won the league title in uruguay and holland, yeah. more than you've done i'll wager.

edit: so far, in both cases of course.

Edited by StevieH