Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Since it's silly season, I'll ask Liverpool fans: If you could sign one obscure player, whom would it be? For me, Jozy Altidore, the best young striker the USA has to offer. Raw talent but could be a good one. Of course I'm a bit biased, maybe he sucks and I just can't see it.

Of course, Rafa's first signing of the summer, if it really happens, is quite obscure, at least to me. Daniel Pranjic? Never heard of him. Well, I probably saw him play last summer but don't remember.

random one for me would be a belgian lad who plays in the french league named eden hazard. think he's got the potential to be our ronaldo sort, lad who can beat players for fun. cracking talent.

Since it's silly season, I'll ask Liverpool fans: If you could sign one obscure player, whom would it be? For me, Jozy Altidore, the best young striker the USA has to offer. Raw talent but could be a good one. Of course I'm a bit biased, maybe he sucks and I just can't see it.

Of course, Rafa's first signing of the summer, if it really happens, is quite obscure, at least to me. Daniel Pranjic? Never heard of him. Well, I probably saw him play last summer but don't remember.

random one for me would be a belgian lad who plays in the french league named eden hazard. think he's got the potential to be our ronaldo sort, lad who can beat players for fun. cracking talent.

all good, but you are forgetting one point - he's not spanish. lol

all good, but you are forgetting one point - he's not spanish. lol

hilarious. of course nor are mascherano, agger, skrtel, aureilo, insua, babel, kuyt, ngog, lucas, dossena, benayoun, el zhar and a number of others that rafa has signed. but don't let that stand in the way of a pisspoor attempt at a joke eh?

at least I try stevie, which more than I can say for a few around here that continue to carry the rafa chip on their shoulders.

anyways, i also read today (independent) that Harry is eyeing up Barry? maybe alonso stays.

you're in a fuc_king liverpool thread james. what the fuc_k is a 'rafa chip on their shoulders'?

2nd point first, i guess if i have to spell it out means 'sexy naughty and bitchy.

1st point second - yes, I know its a liverpool thread and hence why i asked you about Arry's sudden interest in your boy Barry.

you're in a fuc_king liverpool thread james. what the fuc_k is a 'rafa chip on their shoulders'?

2nd point first, i guess if i have to spell it out means 'sexy naughty and bitchy.

1st point second - yes, I know its a liverpool thread and hence why i asked you about Arry's sudden interest in your boy Barry.

see now your second line is fair enough and falls under the category of 'football discussion'. your 'rafa chip on their shoulder' crack is just crap trolling.

FWIW barry is entering the last year of his contract so will go for about 8m, he's a great buy at that price so anybody should want him. he'd improve arsenal immediately for example. i think he's nailed on to end up at anfield though.

Edited by StevieH

see now your second line is fair enough and falls under the category of 'football discussion'. your 'rafa chip on their shoulder' crack is just crap trolling.

FWIW barry is entering the last year of his contract so will go for about 8m, he's a great buy at that price so anybody should want him. he'd improve arsenal immediately for example. i think he's nailed on to end up at anfield though.

it's called banter there stevie - a term used my many but apparently when it comes to your team - it's not allowed.

RE: Barry - if he ends up there do you keep Alonso? Will he stay?

it's called banter there stevie - a term used my many but apparently when it comes to your team - it's not allowed.

RE: Barry - if he ends up there do you keep Alonso? Will he stay?

'banter' is <deleted> though. always has been.

yeah, alonso isn't going anywhere. after the season he has just had nobody could afford him anyway. but we need players of barry's calibre to increase the quality of the squad overall, we're still well behind united in terms of depth. barry gives us another quality option and given his age and his hankering to play champions league football, i can't see any other outcome this summer.

well seeing at rafa almost got rid of alonso last year - combined with him being spanish - perhaps real madrid will offer up the cash desired by LP? sell alonso for 20m, get barry for 10m, have 10 leftover to build a stadium? (couldn't resist)

No way Alonso is leaving. He almost did go, but Juventus lost interest because apparently he's so "slow." :) I have to agree, though, he is a slow runner, but like Hyppia makes up for it with a brilliant footballing brain. I don't see why he'd need great speed in Italian football, though, after just having had the best season by any non-attacking midfielder in England. Daft move by Juventus, that was, but glad to see he didn't go. I never wanted him to go and glad it didn't work out.

eden hazard, never heard of him. Will have to look him up.

well seeing at rafa almost got rid of alonso last year - combined with him being spanish - perhaps real madrid will offer up the cash desired by LP? sell alonso for 20m, get barry for 10m, have 10 leftover to build a stadium? (couldn't resist)

think xabi's proved his worth this season though and i'd go berserk at rafa if he sold him this summer. think alonso's also said that he would never play for madrid, so see them going after fabregas as more likely.

barry for 8m, new top class final third player for about 20m and then a few more good quality squad players bought with money raised from sales will be our most likely summer. though a mate of mine swears we've as good as got glen johnson from pompey at about 9m, so i could see arbeloa going for about 6m if that's the case.

Hmmm, if it's a money issue to sell to buy, I could see Arbeloa gone. He does make the odd defensive error such as two that gifted Arshavin two goals. However, if it's not a money issue than there is room for both him and Johnson at the club, in my opinion.

i think rafa is looking for ste darby from the reserves to step up as cover at rightback jimjim, so this summer will se degen moved on (shame we've never seen him as he is a good player, just too injury-prone) and if someone in spain wants to throw 6m or so at arbeloa then he's expendable.

GERRARD: WE CAN GO ONE BETTER NEXT SEASON

James Carroll 21 May 2009

LFC TV

Steven Gerrard believes the experience Liverpool have gained from being involved in the title race will boost their challenge for the Barclays Premier League crown next season.

The Reds pushed Manchester United all the way in the quest for the trophy, with Rafa Benitez's men mounting their best Championship tilt since 1990.

Although Alex Ferguson's side clinched the title with a goalless draw against Arsenal on Saturday, Liverpool not only completed a league double over the eventual champions, but also lost fewer games and scored more goals than the Old Trafford club.

With this in mind, Gerrard feels the positives that can be derived from this campaign will serve to fuel the Reds players' belief they can go one better next time around.

The Anfield skipper told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I'm really proud. This season is the first time I've ever been involved in a title race and, from a personal point of view, I've certainly enjoyed it. Speaking to the other boys, they've enjoyed it too.

"Obviously we were unfortunate not to win the league, but we can take a lot of positives from this season moving forward.

"We've put in some terrific performances this year and have performed well as a team. I think we can use this experience and take big confidence into next campaign.

"As far as trophies are concerned, we've finished empty handed, but I think we can be really proud of how we have performed. From maybe mid-December onwards we've shown Championship winning form.

"To win the Premier League you have to have had experience of being involved in a title race and let's hope the experience we've gained this year will help us go one better next season."

Sunday's victory over West Bromwich Albion took the Reds' points tally to 83 - a club record in the Barclays Premier League.

Victory against Tottenham Hotspur at Anfield on Sunday will further bolster the final total to 86 and Gerrard believes the fact this has not been enough to win the title demonstrates how tough a competition the league is.

"Looking back at those three draws on the spin at home in December, they're key because if we had turned them into wins, we'd probably be champions or at least still in the race with one game to go," he reflected.

"But that shows everyone how difficult this league is to win and that you need to perform immaculately at home and win all your games.

"To finish with 86 points would still be a fantastic achievement."

The Reds were undefeated against the other members of the 'big four' in the league this campaign and Gerrard is hoping Liverpool can maintain that record next term to aid their pursuit of number 19.

"I think we can take belief from going to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates and remaining unbeaten," said the newly crowned FWA Footballer of the Year.

"If we can take that confidence and belief into those games next season and perform in the same way, as well as turning the home draws into wins, I think we could be champions."

The Reds will wrap up their 2008-09 season against Spurs in front of the Kop this weekend and although Liverpool have little left to play for, Gerrard is eager to sign off from the campaign with a flourish for the fans.

"I think the supporters deserve it," he added. "They have given us terrific support once again over the course of the season.

"We haven't got much to play for really, but I think every time you put the Liverpool jersey on in front of your home supporters, the least they deserve is effort and if we go into it with that attitude, we can finish on a high with three points."

Interesting stat, at least to me. Last season if Liverpool had done the double over Man U we'd have finished one point above them as it's a 12 points swing, but this year we've done that and finished 4 points behind, so as of my calculations right now ManU have done 5 points better than last season against the rest of the league, compared to LFC. Still one match to go of course, but as the league is won now it doesn't matter too much. Last season it went right down to the last day.

Interesting stat, at least to me. Last season if Liverpool had done the double over Man U we'd have finished one point above them as it's a 12 points swing, but this year we've done that and finished 4 points behind, so as of my calculations right now ManU have done 5 points better than last season against the rest of the league, compared to LFC. Still one match to go of course, but as the league is won now it doesn't matter too much. Last season it went right down to the last day.

good point JJ, alot of people fail to realise that if our reserves beat Hull, we will have 4 more points than last year - which everyone thought was a year where we were better.

Sunday could see us finish on 86 points and only have lost two games all season in the league. I would of taken that before the start of the season and you would of thought that would of been enough to of won the league.

Napoli Reject Liverpool’s €22m Bid For Ezequiel Lavezzi

The Vesuviani have turned down the Reds’ initial offer for ‘El Pocho’, however, the parties could meet again next week.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has rebuffed a €22 million bid from Premier League giants Liverpool for Argentine star Ezequiel Lavezzi.

The 24-year-old has been frequently associated with a move away from the San Paolo in recent weeks, with the Italian press suggesting that his agent, Alejandro Manzoni, has been in talks with Juventus.

It is claimed the Vesuviani were approached by an unnamed emissary on behalf of the Merseyside outfit, however, De Laurentiis said no to the initial bid.

Things could change at the start of next week, though. Manzoni is reportedly arranging a direct meeting between the two clubs for Monday.

Lavezzi is tied to the Campani until 2013 but there have been reports his representatives will seek a considerable pay rise at the end of the season.

The former San Lorenzo man, who has netted seven goals in 28 league appearances this season, currently earns €1.3m per season at the San Paolo. Liverpool are allegedly prepared to offer him a salary of €4m to lure him to Anfield.

Lavezzi has been sidelined with a muscular problem since Napoli’s 1-0 win over Inter last month but he could be back in action against Catania this weekend.

Vince Masiello, Goal.com

Napoli Reject Liverpool's €22m Bid For Ezequiel Lavezzi

The Vesuviani have turned down the Reds' initial offer for 'El Pocho', however, the parties could meet again next week.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has rebuffed a €22 million bid from Premier League giants Liverpool for Argentine star Ezequiel Lavezzi.

The 24-year-old has been frequently associated with a move away from the San Paolo in recent weeks, with the Italian press suggesting that his agent, Alejandro Manzoni, has been in talks with Juventus.

It is claimed the Vesuviani were approached by an unnamed emissary on behalf of the Merseyside outfit, however, De Laurentiis said no to the initial bid.

Things could change at the start of next week, though. Manzoni is reportedly arranging a direct meeting between the two clubs for Monday.

Lavezzi is tied to the Campani until 2013 but there have been reports his representatives will seek a considerable pay rise at the end of the season.

The former San Lorenzo man, who has netted seven goals in 28 league appearances this season, currently earns €1.3m per season at the San Paolo. Liverpool are allegedly prepared to offer him a salary of €4m to lure him to Anfield.

Lavezzi has been sidelined with a muscular problem since Napoli's 1-0 win over Inter last month but he could be back in action against Catania this weekend.

Vince Masiello, Goal.com

Tevez who? lets get this lad before he gets snapped up...

Rafa Benitez must learn from Gerard Houllier's mistakes, says Sammy Lee

Rafa Benitez must avoid repeating the mistakes of his predecessor Gerard Houllier if he is to turn his Liverpool side from contenders to champions, according to assistant manager Sammy Lee.

By Rory Smith

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...-Sammy-Lee.html

Last Updated: 7:19PM BST 22 May 2009

Lee was a coach at Anfield in 2002 when, after a promising campaign earned Liverpool a runners-up spot the previous season, Houllier missed the chance to build on his success by signing the likes of Bruno Cheyrou, El-Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao, as well as turning down the chance to bring in Nicolas Anelka.

The similarities with the situation the club currently find themselves in are plentiful and Lee says that Benitez now has a "massive" opportunity to use this season as a springboard for success.

Lee said: "There will be activity to bring people in this summer, to strengthen and improve the squad. I know what went on in 2002 but I don't like to dwell on the past. We're aware of it and that's why we never take anything for granted. "There has been improvement but we know there's more to be done. It's the same if you win things, you leave the past behind and move on."

Benitez has already drawn up a list of transfer targets, with Gareth Barry, Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Glen Johnson his four priorities. Financing those moves will be an issue, though.

He is likely to be granted just £20 million for one major signing by owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, although he may add to this through sales.

Andrea Dossena, Andriy Voronin, Sebastian Leto and Ryan Babel will all be sold if appropriate offers are received, but Benitez insisted he did not want to sell his most saleable asset, Xabi Alonso, although Real Madrid are confident a substantial bid would tempt Liverpool to cash in.

Reports in Italy that Napoli have rejected an £18 million offer from Liverpool for the Argentinean international Ezequiel Lavezzi suggest he can be added to a list of potential Benitez targets.

The forward, who is thought to be keen to leave the club, wants to play in the Champions League and would be a viable alternative to either Tevez or Silva.

His agent, Alejandro Mazzoni, said: "The offer from Liverpool was genuine, and came with a £2.5 million yearly salary." Aurelio De Laurentiis, the Napoli president, insists Lavezzi "is not for sale, unless an offer too good to refuse arrives."

Rafa Benitez must learn from Gerard Houllier's mistakes, says Sammy Lee

Rafa Benitez must avoid repeating the mistakes of his predecessor Gerard Houllier if he is to turn his Liverpool side from contenders to champions, according to assistant manager Sammy Lee.

By Rory Smith

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...-Sammy-Lee.html

Last Updated: 7:19PM BST 22 May 2009

Lee was a coach at Anfield in 2002 when, after a promising campaign earned Liverpool a runners-up spot the previous season, Houllier missed the chance to build on his success by signing the likes of Bruno Cheyrou, El-Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao, as well as turning down the chance to bring in Nicolas Anelka.

The similarities with the situation the club currently find themselves in are plentiful and Lee says that Benitez now has a "massive" opportunity to use this season as a springboard for success.

Lee said: "There will be activity to bring people in this summer, to strengthen and improve the squad. I know what went on in 2002 but I don't like to dwell on the past. We're aware of it and that's why we never take anything for granted. "There has been improvement but we know there's more to be done. It's the same if you win things, you leave the past behind and move on."

Benitez has already drawn up a list of transfer targets, with Gareth Barry, Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Glen Johnson his four priorities. Financing those moves will be an issue, though.

He is likely to be granted just £20 million for one major signing by owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, although he may add to this through sales.

Andrea Dossena, Andriy Voronin, Sebastian Leto and Ryan Babel will all be sold if appropriate offers are received, but Benitez insisted he did not want to sell his most saleable asset, Xabi Alonso, although Real Madrid are confident a substantial bid would tempt Liverpool to cash in.

Reports in Italy that Napoli have rejected an £18 million offer from Liverpool for the Argentinean international Ezequiel Lavezzi suggest he can be added to a list of potential Benitez targets.

The forward, who is thought to be keen to leave the club, wants to play in the Champions League and would be a viable alternative to either Tevez or Silva.

His agent, Alejandro Mazzoni, said: "The offer from Liverpool was genuine, and came with a £2.5 million yearly salary." Aurelio De Laurentiis, the Napoli president, insists Lavezzi "is not for sale, unless an offer too good to refuse arrives."

Yep would have to agree with that Toady, any signings will be crucial with our limited budget.

Really praying we get Lavezzi...

Best news is Raffa came out today to say he has no intention of selling Alonso, as he is crucial to the team and has 3 years left on his contract.