Civil Partnership British Embassy Vietnam

Reid1178

Hi,

I'm looking to go to Vietnam to get a CP at the British Embassy with my Thai partner. I've just received some info from them and they say they do not have an official ceremony on the day. Has anyone here done this at British Embassy in Vietnam?

When they say there is no ceremony does it mean it's just a case of turning up and signing documents?

So in other words there would be no point in getting dressed up or anything because If there is no ceremony then there's not exactly going to be photos taken either. Would love to hear what exactly happens on the day from someone who has done it there. I have read someone say they asked their hotel staff if they could be witnesses which is something else I might have to do.

Your advise would be appreciated thanks

Done it, and posted several times about it in other threads - suggest you do a search and read those first, as repeating the same thing makes me even more boring than I already am!

There's no "ceremony" as such anywhere, unless you want to make one - its pretty well up to you how you handle it, take photos , etc. What you can NOT do, though, is just "turn up".

Read the other threads first, then if you've got any specific questions after that ask away.

thanks for your reply.

I had previously searched the forum but not found the answer to my question which was what actually happens on the day of the civil partnership at the embassy as the information provided from them was not very clear. I will keep searching to find your previous posts thanks

When I said "just turn up" I obviously realise that there are certain procedures that need to be done before the actual day can take place and an appointment would need to be made, what I should have said and what I meant was "arrive on the day"

"what actually happens on the day of the civil partnership at the embassy" depends very much on you and what you have arranged with the Embassy (or, if in HCMC, the High Commission).

Basically the two of you turn up with two witnesses and whoever else you want (photographer, etc) dressed however you want. Go in, join the queue with anyone else, get called in to an office, sign some papers, collect whatever copies of the registration you have asked and paid for, then go. There's no "ceremony", no exchanging of rings (unless you want to do that yourself while the staff sit there looking bored), no "pronouncements", etc.

Remember that this will be your second visit to the Embassy/High Commission, as you'll both have already been there between two weeks and 3 months before to apply and give notice, so you can ask them any questions you have then.

Think of it along the same lines as applying for a visa and you won't be far wrong!

They used to make it feel a bit more "special", for example when we did ours they provided the witnesses and a photographer who e-mailed us the photos later, and asked us if we wanted anything "special" as others had been what they tactfully described as "flamboyant", but at that time CP entries were still in single figures so it was probably more of a novelty. Now, apparently, its just routine.

Is this open to UK citizens only, or can any EU citizen marry their Thai fiance there?

Its a BRITISH Embassy, for BRITISH citizens.

Sometime words fail me ....

I have learned to ask before jumping to conclusions. I wouldn't be surprised if things are sometimes different than we think.

• 4 months later...

Is this open to UK citizens only, or can any EU citizen marry their Thai fiance there?

I have learned to ask before jumping to conclusions. I wouldn't be surprised if things are sometimes different than we think.

I would be curious to know also. I am Irish, our Embassy does not do civil partnerships in Hanoi, and i have been unsuccessful in contacting the British one, keep getting an automated reply after following the instructions, very frustrating. I was wondering as an EU citizen is it possible?

Remember that this will be your second visit to the Embassy/High Commission, as you'll both have already been there between two weeks and 3 months before to apply and give notice

I thought that you had to remain in Vietnam between the first and second visits. Is that not correct? Making two flights to Vietnam would be a lot more convenient than hanging around for 10 days or so.

Actually this isn't as stupid as you make it out to be. According to Schengen law if a shengen-country doesn't have an official representation, you can go to another Schengen embassy of your choice. But I am not sure if the UK is part oft that section of Schengen.

Remember that this will be your second visit to the Embassy/High Commission, as you'll both have already been there between two weeks and 3 months before to apply and give notice

I thought that you had to remain in Vietnam between the first and second visits. Is that not correct? Making two flights to Vietnam would be a lot more convenient than hanging around for 10 days or so.

LeCharivari sent me a really helpful answer by PM. (Thanks LeC.) I hope he won't mind me quoting part of it here.

"Basically you have to be in Vietnam for a "full" seven days (ie 7 days and nights) before you can make the initial application - effectively that means 10 days (9 nights) as the first day doesn't count and by the time you've been to apply on day 9 its too late for a return flight . That's the only time that you actually HAVE to be in Vietnam (technically either the north OR the south, depending on where you want to register), other than on the day you actually register.

"You then have to wait between 10 days and three months (it used to be 15 days, but I think its now down to 10) while your application is, literally, posted on the embassy/high commission notice board, so if you wanted to do it all in one go you'd have to stay at least three weeks (21 days), although you could spend the first 10 days in and around HCMC and apply there, spend the next 10 in Hanoi, then return to HCMC (or vice-versa!)."