Thailand Approves Layout For Formula 1 Circuit

webfact

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This will definitely happen, and most likely be a great success. Too many whinging farangs on here who think Thais can't do things. But all the farangs on here can do is constantly whine and whinge. Don't you have anything better to do with your lives?

Be fair, we dont think it, we KNOW it!!

yeah well being a fan of f1, i will anticipate being there and seeing it live in bangkok.

i just hope i dont have a negative <deleted> like you beside me when i do.

next time you take a good look around places like dubai and singapore, ask yourself who built it. It most certainly wasn't the locals.

I have not been to Dubai, but I lived in Singapore for 2yrs. Yes so true, without foreign labour, the country would cease to propogate. A country of 5.5 mill, 2.5 mill is foreign workers. every new shopping mall/MRT station is built by foreigners (less fortunate peoples), every single bar/restaurant you eat in is manned by foreign workers. Every maid the hi-so's have is foreign. Some of you talk about Thailand being racist, Re: posts (I am still the Farang) but you want to see real racism in Asia, Singapore is the place.

I have been to the Sing F1 and it was great. If Bangkok could put on half of this, benefits gained through cultural enrichment, tourism receipts and national pride would far outweigh any negative comments some tired old Farangs have with life!

Try living in Japan for a while and then compare "racism" to Singapore. They may run 1 and 2, but I'd put the Japanese up there on top.

I don't think this race will happen but the World-wide TV audience, if it did, would be priceless. Spectacular backgrounds of the historical section of Bangkok would bring a lot of viewers and later, high-end tourists. I don't think many people will be inconvenienced by the race since it will be run on Rattanokosin Island away from major business and shopping centers (I think they meant to say Democracy Monument instead of Victory Monument). If they hold it during Songkran, the locals, who don't care about F1 anyway, will be out of town and the streets are more empty than any other time of year, the weather is predictably rain-free and did I mention more high-end tourists? This event could sure pay for itself and it could be done IF more planning went into making it happen than planning for how to make a corrupt satang from it.

There is no way your going to keep Somchai and a thousand of his friends from off this track. As someone posted earlier, the death toll over Songkran will be nothing compared to this. :coffee1:

I wonder if the F1 drivers are experienced in dodging soi dogs at 200+ km/h? Edited by Pimay1

This is much closer to reality than most of you might expect. The major reason due to Red Bull wanting it to happen. Don't forget, Red Bull is half-owned by a Thai, and its mainly his push for this to happen here, and he's got major influence in the FIA, and he's going to be sponsoring it as well. F1 has already been staged at many major city circuits, Melbourne, Adelaide, Monte Carlo, Phoenix, and most significantly, Singapore City. If Singapore can close down its entire town center for four days, why can't Bangkok?

Because singapore is organised.

Adelaide used to have it, it took 5 weeks to set up and 2 to pull down. So you're looking at nearly 2 months of even worse chaos than exists in that part of tour now.

If the F1 oganisers had any brains they'd never allow it to be here, plus I'm pretty sure some city has to LOSE it, so either Singapore or KL would have to be really messing it up? (just my thoughts).

A very fair point of view as far as locals are concerned and I agree with you. However the traffic disruption before and after such an event is of no concern to those FIA, CVC or Team personnel etc flying in for the race who have only one interest, international revenue. They simply arrive, do their job and fly out. They'll have preferential treatment in the traffic if or when it happens too. Same as Sing, Melbourne or even the V8 Supercar event at the Gold Coast, the locals suffer for almost 2 months in total and most of them hate it.

• Like 2

I would love to see this happen but i think bernie will not approve of the track and they will have alot

of resufacing to do and get it too F1 standards all in 2 years? I don't think so btu i would love to see

the thai's prove us wrong on this 1.

Resurfacing is a normal procedure in any country setting up an F1 track. You think they can't do it here?

They tarmaced a road near whjere I live. Within a month a tree had sprouted in the middle of the road.

• Like 1

Thailand building a formula 1 track is never going to be approved by the formula 1 organizers to actually hold an event. Instead could they fix the public roads up to an acceptable standard first? Bad roads in the rural areas is one thing, but the roads in Bangkok are so bad it just demonstrates the incompetance and corruption of the Thai authorities.

• Like 2

Would be great to see Thailand hold such an event on the world stage, but another street circuit, yawn.

Look what they did in Austin Texas, great circuit and places to actually over take instead of a boring race like Monaco and Singapore.

Yep! Passing becomes almost obsolete passifier.gif

• Like 1

So...okay...even IF they make it in time and to safety standards and at a quality, that allows F1 ...all of which I very highly doubt...and IF the track passes Wat Arun, Grand Palace and Victory Monument...I have another problem.

For safety reasons -as someone already pointed out- and for training and qualifying, that track has to be COMPLETELY shut down for a week...minimum!

If I remember correctly, both -Wat Arun and Grand Palace- can only be passed on one side, because there is a RIVER on the other side!

So ...they basically close down both sites for a week?

...and I guess, that is the smallest problem, they have!

Be ready for a massive mess when this will actually happen.

Same thing was said when they brought the Formula 1 to Long Beach, California, and went they brought the 1984 Olympics to Southern California. Nethier time was it true. In fact, traffic in Los Angeles during the Olympics was the best during my lifetime. You can always hope for the worst if you have a mind to, but people are very adaptable, and this too will work just fine.

• Like 1

Does Thailand actually hold any international event, in any sports well (world class standard)? Serious Question!

Yes it held the ROC (Race of Champions) in Bangkok last December and it went off very well.

... except nobody cared about it. Stadium was - I guess - about 33% occupied by spectators and despite the Minister of Tourism present at the opening ceremony, this ROC did not attract Thai people.

I would love to see this happen but i think bernie will not approve of the track and they will have alot

of resufacing to do and get it too F1 standards all in 2 years? I don't think so btu i would love to see

Resurfacing is a normal procedure in any country setting up an F1 track. You think they can't do it here?

Three words, Thap Phraya Rd.

cheesy.gif

Care to explain for people who don't live in Bangkok.

They tarmaced a road near whjere I live. Within a month a tree had sprouted in the middle of the road.

They know full well how to do a decent job. It's all about funding.

All i ever see in the comments on this forum is whinging farang. We've got a saying in Aus 'don't love it leave'.

So you yourself don't love Aus then?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I think you missed the point buddy

No, we got it. 4 posts and you are already in the "love it or leave it crowd". coffee1.gif

So what should i be a Whinger constantly Thai bashing for a few years first. 4 posts not enough?
  • Like 1

Why all the negative vibes? Creating a road circuit is a darn sight easier than building a custom built track...it’s not rocket science.

I for one really hope it comes off smile.pngthumbsup.gif

Especially as it is heralded as a night race , with all the additional considerations and implications.

I cannot agree with that. Especially if the underground and hence the surface is in such a bad state as it is in Bangkok. To make a smooth surface suitable for Formula 1, the whole street foundation has to be redone, otherwise one year after all the bumps are back.

And what about run-off zones, safety barriers, pit lane, parc ferme, garage zone not to mention grand-stands for spectators and fenced access to them?

And then the nightmare of redirecting all the traffic around the race track... not easy at all. I would believe it's easier to build a circuit from scratch meeting all the safety standards of 2013.

Lest we forget, this is all happening in order that the heir to the Red Bull empire will not serve any jail time for killing a policeman with his Ferrari in Thong Lor.

It's a shame that such a fantastic opportunity for Thailand and Bangkok in particular is smeared with the taint of injustice, corruption and scandal.

Lest we forget, this is all happening in order that the heir to the Red Bull empire will not serve any jail time for killing a policeman with his Ferrari in Thong Lor.

It's a shame that such a fantastic opportunity for Thailand and Bangkok in particular is smeared with the taint of injustice, corruption and scandal.

Hopefully while this event is taking place, it will be a suitable opportunity to warn people about the dangers of Thai roads.

There's something inappropriate about a nation with such a dismal track record to road safety hosting a race of this magnitude.

Money talks and ethics walk as per.