Thailand Approves Layout For Formula 1 Circuit

webfact

Lest we forget, this is all happening in order that the heir to the Red Bull empire will not serve any jail time for killing a policeman with his Ferrari in Thong Lor.

It's a shame that such a fantastic opportunity for Thailand and Bangkok in particular is smeared with the taint of injustice, corruption and scandal.

And you have a major sponsor, Johnny Walker, who stress responsible drinking to drivers in their Formula One promotions. The Red Bull family will be shifting uneasily in their corporate seats every time that flashes up at the Grand Prix.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would love to see this happen but i think bernie will not approve of the track and they will have alot

of resufacing to do and get it too F1 standards all in 2 years? I don't think so btu i would love to see

the thai's prove us wrong on this 1.

Resurfacing is a normal procedure in any country setting up an F1 track. You think they can't do it here?

Three words, Thap Phraya Rd.

cheesy.gif

Care to explain for people who don't live in Bangkok.

Thappraya road is in Pattaya, actually within walking distance of your home if I'm not mistaken coffee1.gif

Edited by jbrain

I love the TV forum. 7 pages and only a single unexpected post laugh.png

The route would start and finish at the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard (Rat Woradit Pier), and would go along Maha That Road, Na Phra Lan Road, Na Phra That Road, Chakrabongse Road, Phra Sumen Road, Ratchadamnoen Avenue, Maha Chai Road and Thai Wang Road.

Is this a blind guess, or are those more detailed news from other sources? It would confirm that the track passes Wat Arun at a comfortable distance (across the river), and the reported Victory Monument actually should be Democracy Monument.

I 'drove' one lap in Google Streetview and it looks quite nice. I wonder how they'll get from Na Phra That to Chakrabongse. This, together with the U-turn going around Democracy Monument, might become one of the most interesting sections of the track. I guess the section from Maha Chai to Thai Wang is along Charoen Krung?

Thappraya road is in Pattaya, actually within walking distance of your home if I'm not mistaken coffee1.gif

I've very aware of Thappraya Road in Pattaya, which as you stated is virtually next door to where I live.... however, I'm not aware that there isn't a Thappraya Road in Bangkok, which is what I assumed considering this is a thread about Bangkok.

If he was referring to Thappraya Road in Pattaya, then he is in error as it was not resurfaced. It was redone from scratch.

I'm aware that most resurfacing jobs around here are dismal, but that doesn't mean with sufficient funding, including skilled engineers, they cannot lay down a decent surface for an F1 race.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I've very aware of Thappraya Road in Pattaya, which as you stated is virtually next door to where I live.... however, I'm not aware that there isn't a Thappraya Road in Bangkok, which is what I assumed considering this is a thread about Bangkok.

If he was referring to Thappraya Road in Pattaya, then he is in error as it was not resurfaced. It was redone from scratch.

I'm aware that most resurfacing jobs around here are dismal, but that doesn't mean with sufficient funding, including skilled engineers, they cannot lay down a decent surface for an F1 race.

Redone from scratch indeed, which makes it an even bigger joke.

You think it would be suitable for a F1 car ? Didn't it have holes again even before the job was completed ?

I'll take that bet, what odds would you like?

And time-scale?

You think it would be suitable for a F1 car ? Didn't it have holes again even before the job was completed ?

Why would you assume that an F1 circuit would be done in the same cheap/sloppy manner as a road in Pattaya? Obviously there's an international standard required to prepare an F1 circuit, unlike on Thappraya Road. I suppose you consider the Thais inept and totally incapable, They wouldn't/couldn't have internationally trained and skilled engineers here to oversee the project?

Quit being so dramatically negative and give them a go. If they want to do it they can do it.

Edited by tropo

I would love to see this happen but i think bernie will not approve of the track and they will have alot

of resufacing to do and get it too F1 standards all in 2 years? I don't think so btu i would love to see

Resurfacing is a normal procedure in any country setting up an F1 track. You think they can't do it here?

They tarmaced a road near whjere I live. Within a month a tree had sprouted in the middle of the road.

They know full well how to do a decent job. It's all about funding.

It's all about skimming money off the top. They even put one of their signs up saying how much they spent received.

some countries want to spend a crap load of tax payers money for an event that has been proven does not contribute one cent to the welfare of that tax payers money purse

it get some people rich for sure

Why would you assume that an F1 circuit would be done in the same cheap/sloppy manner as a road in Pattaya? Obviously there's an international standard required to prepare an F1 circuit, unlike on Thappraya Road. I suppose you consider the Thais inept and totally incapable, They wouldn't/couldn't have internationally trained and skilled engineers here to oversee the project?

Quit being so dramatically negative and give them a go. If they want to do it they can do it.

Allright if you want to take it that direction, and blame me for being unwarranted negative.

You remember the opening from the new airport ? International standards and skilled engineers all in place. Corruption also of course

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport

In January 2007, ruts were discovered in the runways at Suvarnabhumi.[21] The east runway was scheduled to close for repairs. Expert opinions have varied widely as to the root cause of the ruts.[18] Airport authorities and airline representatives maintained that the airport was still safe and resisted suggestions that the airport should be completely closed and all flights moved back to Don Muang.[22]

On 27 January 2007, however, the Department of Civil Aviation declined to renew the airport's safety certificate, which expired the previous day. The ICAO requires that international airports hold aerodrome safety certificates, but Suvarnabhumi will continue to operate because the ICAO requirement has yet to be adopted as part of Thai law.

From another source in case you deem wiki not reliable

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/185647-new-bkk-airport-us-experts-insist-runways-cracked.html

New BKK Airport US experts insist runways cracked

US experts insist runways cracked

Thaksin, Chainant say airport problem-free

BANGKOK: -- A team of US aviation experts is insisting that both runways at Suvarnabhumi airport need reconstruction as there are severe cracks that are large enough to sink the nose wheel of an aircraft, according to an aviation source.

They are also not tiny cracks on runway shoulders that the deputy transport minister showed to reporters, the source said.

But Deputy Transport Minister Chainant Charoensiri and Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra deny there is a problem.

The source said yesterday that the serious cracks were at the ``touchdown'' points of both the western and eastern runways of the new and now-delayed Suvarnabhumi airport.

The American experts, reportedly brought in by the prime minister to give him an independent assessment, recommended the complete reconstruction of the two runways because there was a range of possible factors that could have caused the large cracks.

Of course it will all be different this time around.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

Why all the negative vibes? Creating a road circuit is a darn sight easier than building a custom built track...it’s not rocket science.

I for one really hope it comes off smile.pngthumbsup.gif

I cannot agree with that. Especially if the underground and hence the surface is in such a bad state as it is in Bangkok. To make a smooth surface suitable for Formula 1, the whole street foundation has to be redone, otherwise one year after all the bumps are back.

And what about run-off zones, safety barriers, pit lane, parc ferme, garage zone not to mention grand-stands for spectators and fenced access to them?

And then the nightmare of redirecting all the traffic around the race track... not easy at all. I would believe it's easier to build a circuit from scratch meeting all the safety standards of 2013.

Depends on what you deem easier...resurfacing/laying 6km of F1 compliant asphalt (minimal run offs because it’s a street race) and all the support buildings you’d have to build anyway...or building a new circuit outside of Bangkok which you then have to get all the spectators to (traffic chaos

at Silverstone is a case in point).

I understand there will be problems with traffic in BKK while they build the circuit, but the actual costs will be much lower and it will be easier to do.

Some nice comparisons on the plus/minus of a street circuit against a custom built one here.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-formula-one-s-300m-american-dream-092200170.html

They tarmaced a road near whjere I live. Within a month a tree had sprouted in the middle of the road.

They know full well how to do a decent job. It's all about funding.

The funding and the contractor.

There are some beautiful roads on the way from Korat to the Laos border.

The ring road from just past Saraburi to the airport is awesome.

If the funding is not there and shortcuts taken = shit road.

If the funding is there and the contractor takes shortcuts with the funds = shit road.

I'm hoping so much for this event to become a success. I love F1 and I will definitely be there. But I still have my doubts that a F1 event in BKK will ever occur. I cannot see the Thais handling this big event even close to acceptable, and if this event gets approved, it will be that single race once written in history books as an event Bernie wished never happened. I hope I'm wrong. I've never been to an F1 event, so I'm hoping my wife, that has never heard of F1, and I can have a good and positive experience.

Allright if you want to take it that direction, and blame me for being unwarranted negative.

You remember the opening from the new airport ? International standards and skilled engineers all in place. Corruption also of course

In January 2007, ruts were discovered in the runways at Suvarnabhumi.[21] The east runway was scheduled to close for repairs. Expert opinions have varied widely as to the root cause of the ruts.[18] Airport authorities and airline representatives maintained that the airport was still safe and resisted suggestions that the airport should be completely closed and all flights moved back to Don Muang.[22]

On 27 January 2007, however, the Department of Civil Aviation declined to renew the airport's safety certificate, which expired the previous day. The ICAO requires that international airports hold aerodrome safety certificates, but Suvarnabhumi will continue to operate because the ICAO requirement has yet to be adopted as part of Thai law.

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/185647-new-bkk-airport-us-experts-insist-runways-cracked.html

BANGKOK: -- A team of US aviation experts is insisting that both runways at Suvarnabhumi airport need reconstruction as there are severe cracks that are large enough to sink the nose wheel of an aircraft, according to an aviation source.

They are also not tiny cracks on runway shoulders that the deputy transport minister showed to reporters, the source said.

But Deputy Transport Minister Chainant Charoensiri and Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra deny there is a problem.

The source said yesterday that the serious cracks were at the ``touchdown'' points of both the western and eastern runways of the new and now-delayed Suvarnabhumi airport.

The American experts, reportedly brought in by the prime minister to give him an independent assessment, recommended the complete reconstruction of the two runways because there was a range of possible factors that could have caused the large cracks.

More drama.

The airport services more people (aircraft) every year than it was originally intended for - a huge number. Despite the work load, I'm yet to hear of any accidents as a result of the poor runway construction. (Do you use the airport or drive or sail to Thailand?)

The F1 circuit will need to be good for a few days. They (event organizers) will re access the circuit before every yearly race and upgrade if necessary.

• Like 1

More drama.

The airport services more people (aircraft) every year than it was originally intended for - a huge number. Despite the work load, I'm yet to hear of any accidents as a result of the poor runway construction. (Do you use the airport or drive or sail to Thailand?)

The F1 circuit will need to be good for a few days. They (event organizers) will re access the circuit before every yearly race and upgrade if necessary.

Excuse me but the reports of the cracks were BEFORE the airport was operational.

Excuse me but the reports of the cracks were BEFORE the airport was operational.

OK, so that makes your example even less valid. They got experts in to sort it out and we now have a functioning airport servicing 55 million people a year (for 6 years so far).

If they can build an airport that you're happy to use, I'm sure they can build an F1 track.

OK, so that makes your example even less valid. They got experts in to sort it out and we now have a functioning airport servicing 55 million people a year (for 6 years so far).

If they can build an airport that you're happy to use, I'm sure they can build an F1 track.

Goodbye.

Goodbye.

LOL. That's a relief....I thought you'd never leave.

An F1 circuit in Bangkok sounds quite cool but it's going to be quite odd having really nice roads throughout whatever area they choose. I'm in Samut Prakarn where the BTS line is being extended and the roads are atrocious; all the sections are badly joined and there are so many pot-holes.

This is much closer to reality than most of you might expect. The major reason due to Red Bull wanting it to happen. Don't forget, Red Bull is half-owned by a Thai, and its mainly his push for this to happen here, and he's got major influence in the FIA, and he's going to be sponsoring it as well. F1 has already been staged at many major city circuits, Melbourne, Adelaide, Monte Carlo, Phoenix, and most significantly, Singapore City. If Singapore can close down its entire town center for four days, why can't Bangkok?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif because the thai people will not listen to anyone telling them they cannot use the roads etc, can you honestly see thai's not climbing over the barriers to get to the other side of the road, they already drive the wrong way on the roads to get to where they want. This will be a futile effort at best, the locals will ignore every direction given to them.

Edited by seajae

You forgot to mention an F1 car only weights 642kg whistling.giftongue.png

Three words, Thap Phraya Rd.

cheesy.gif

Care to explain for people who don't live in Bangkok.

I was referring to the 4+ year odyssey on Thap Phraya Rd going from Pattaya to Jomtien. First they widen, then they pave, then they dig it up again, then pave again, then water flows under the road and washes it away, then repairs, then paving, ad infinitum.

jbrain,

You're aware the "R" in PPRuNe is for "rumour", right?

No I was not aware of that, but that post was from August 2005. and according to the Wiki link it became evident in January 2007 that those rumours were not taken out of thin air.

I was referring to the 4+ year odyssey on Thap Phraya Rd going from Pattaya to Jomtien. First they widen, then they pave, then they dig it up again, then pave again, then water flows under the road and washes it away, then repairs, then paving, ad infinitum.

OK, so based on an example of a dismal road build in Pattaya you believe that engineers in Thailand are incapable of building an F1 circuit?

I disagree. You may as well just come out and say it i.e. that you think Thais are incompetent fools.

Thailand has never staged an F1 event before, so it's a certainty they'll be hiring international engineers and consultants who have experience with this type of road building. Track building will be closely scrutinized by F1 racing officials.

If this event doesn't go ahead, it won't be due to incompetent road building.

Edited by tropo