Which Vigo To Buy?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to admit I was operating under a huge misconception for the first few years that I lived here, seven years actually, let me explain:

Shortly after I moved here in 2004 I bought a brand new CRV which I thought was just great, slightly underpowered and the trans was short of at least one gear but it was great nevertheless. Then I did something really silly and I sold the CRV which left me driving a beat up old Lancer that is seventeen years old and I have to say that all of a sudden other road users began treating me very differently to what I'd known before - other cars would pull out in front of me without signalling and at a short distance, in a "competition" to see who gets the right of way the Lancer would always loose and generally, I was regarded as a third class citizen on the roads. Hmm I thought to myself, it seems that size does matter here and boy, driving is now really quite hard work and is also now very dangerous.

Since I bought my Vigo I no longer have the problems described above, conclude on this as you each will although I have to say that the above was not a concious part of my buying decision. I used to own/drive vans in California during the early 70's and I stayed with that theme for almost fifteen years, the driving height above other vehicles is a distinct safety advantage and I find the same applies to CRV/pickups here.

I think this perception that other drivers see what car you are driving, and treat you differently dependent on what it is, and how big it is, is in fact just a trick of the mind, and is simply to do with you feeling you have more road presence. And sadly it's this feeling of having more road presence, that makes such idiot, arrogant drivers sitting in the likes of the Fortuners / Vigos - no offence all you Fortuner / Vigo drivers.

I've driven all sizes, from the big to the small, and if someone is of the mind to cut you up or pull out in front of you, they'll do it whatever you happen to be sitting in... unless you are sitting in a ten wheeler or a tank. The trick is, whetever you are driving, big or small, to not let yourself get pushed around, intimidated or bullied. Claim your bit of tarmac, and own it!

• Like 2

I have to admit I was operating under a huge misconception for the first few years that I lived here, seven years actually, let me explain:

Shortly after I moved here in 2004 I bought a brand new CRV which I thought was just great, slightly underpowered and the trans was short of at least one gear but it was great nevertheless. Then I did something really silly and I sold the CRV which left me driving a beat up old Lancer that is seventeen years old and I have to say that all of a sudden other road users began treating me very differently to what I'd known before - other cars would pull out in front of me without signalling and at a short distance, in a "competition" to see who gets the right of way the Lancer would always loose and generally, I was regarded as a third class citizen on the roads. Hmm I thought to myself, it seems that size does matter here and boy, driving is now really quite hard work and is also now very dangerous.

Since I bought my Vigo I no longer have the problems described above, conclude on this as you each will although I have to say that the above was not a concious part of my buying decision. I used to own/drive vans in California during the early 70's and I stayed with that theme for almost fifteen years, the driving height above other vehicles is a distinct safety advantage and I find the same applies to CRV/pickups here.

I think this perception that other drivers see what car you are driving, and treat you differently dependent on what it is, and how big it is, is in fact just a trick of the mind, and is simply to do with you feeling you have more road presence. And sadly it's this feeling of having more road presence, that makes such idiot, arrogant drivers sitting in the likes of the Fortuners / Vigos - no offence all you Fortuner / Vigo drivers.

I've driven all sizes, from the big to the small, and if someone is of the mind to cut you up or pull out in front of you, they'll do it whatever you happen to be sitting in... unless you are sitting in a ten wheeler or a tank. The trick is, whetever you are driving, big or small, to not let yourself get pushed around, intimidated or bullied. Claim your bit of tarmac, and own it!

I respect your view on this but have to reaffirm that my experience of trying to claim my bit of tarmac and owning it whilst driving a 17 year old Lancer has proved very difficult, if not impossible at times and I'm glad that period of my life is over.

I had a drive in my friends Vigo 3.0 4wd and I am not impressed, noisy compared to my Ranger, extremely ugly skin colored (cream??) interior.

I believe the best explanation I've seen for the standard interior color is: "hearing aid beige" ;)

• Like 1

I had thought about waiting for the new 2014 model (when is it expected out does anyone know?)

New model will appear in Q3 2014 - with an August launch date the highest tipped...

All new i take it?

Yep, all-new generation based on the IMV2 platform. No juicy details yet though.

I had thought about waiting for the new 2014 model (when is it expected out does anyone know?)

New model will appear in Q3 2014 - with an August launch date the highest tipped...

All new i take it?

Yep, all-new generation based on the IMV2 platform. No juicy details yet though.

They topped the power stakes with the 3.0 163 HP engine, dated now, will they try to do the same again?(barring the 3.2 mazda/ford donks). I liked the look of the vigo, but can't handle that interior.

I liked the look of the vigo, but can't handle that interior.

The Vigo started off a good looking truck in my opinion - certainly it looked good in comparison with what it was up against in 2005 or whatever year it came out - but Toyota have been really lazy with its Vigo facelifts, tweaks and updates. Not one has actually improved it, from an aesthetic point of view anyway.
  • Like 1

My thought's that might be of some interest, what ever Vigo you settle on go for the 3lt the 2.5 is under powered drove one for several month's.

If you do look at the Ford the 2.2 is also well under powered no matter what you hear from other's the 3.2 is a different kettle of fish.

Man/Auto if your going to use it mainly in Pat's Auto. 4x4 again used in Pat's the pre runner would be your best bet.

Enjoy what ever you decide on. Colour grey it doesn't show the dirt to much. White Black EEEEK.

Did you Bang on about Transit Vans back in the World, its a Truck,nothing more, their all the same. w00t.gif

To a point you are correct. Folk talk about MORE power, total crap, look at the figures WHERE this extra power is, yeh, revving the nuts off the thing. AND, it seems I have the only quiet Vigo in LOS, must be worth a fortune. laugh.png

Or time for a hearing aid coffee1.gif

• Like 1

go for the Prerunner 3.0G A/T (50th Anniversary edition) - 925.000
buy it in bangkok as I got a lot of bullxxxx and poor service from the toyota shop in pattaya
I have the vigo champ prerunneer 3,0G A/T with 20 inch wheels/yokohama parada/ecu shop piggyback and love it
lots of power and the 20 inch wheels really improve the look and handling

post-93554-0-94872500-1367125661_thumb.j

Edited by metisdead

They topped the power stakes with the 3.0 163 HP engine, dated now, will they try to do the same again?(barring the 3.2 mazda/ford donks). I liked the look of the vigo, but can't handle that interior.

Well, there's no doubt they'll be planning a model that will be able to retain market share for another 10-year life cycle, so we're going to see something that not only competes against the newer Isuzu/Chev and Ford/Mazda offerings, but on that also tries to pre-empt new models from Nissan, Mitsubishi and VW.

I doubt that they will be trying to get into pissing contests over HP or overall size - while both these attributes have helped Mitsu and Nissan increase their market share, it's still all about reliability (perceived or real), NVH, ride quality, fuel efficiency, after sales support, brand/model prestige/loyalty and residual value that attracts most buyers... and Toyota very clearly go for the 99% that don't spreadsheet out specs and buy based on some end result formula wink.png

My best guess is that they will be focussing in the same sort of directions as Mitsu - i.e. setting a new bar height for NVH, ride quality and handling, new levels of fuel efficiency (inc. diesel hybrid options), and more prestige through luxury and convenience features tricking down from the D segment.

I also expect that during the next generation we will start seeing safety features become more prevalent in the Thai market - Ford have already done the ground work there with the Fiesta and Focus, and surveys reveal that it's slowly but surely becoming an important point of difference for buyers here.

Edited by IMHO

If you do look at the Ford the 2.2 is also well under powered no matter what you hear from other's the 3.2 is a different kettle of fish.

Really ?

I have the 2.2 manual and am surprised at how well it does go and having driven a 3.2 auto for the week whilst mine was in the panel shop I did not feel he 3.2 was that much better, granted the extra torque was noticeable but with the same final drive ratio it in reality was the same to drive......... I guess it comes into it's own when carrying a load.

EDIT: to add, the 2014 Vigo is just another facelift as I thought the "new" Vigo release date had been pushed back until 2016.

Some changes expected in New Model New Shape 2014 Major Change Toyota Hilux are as follows:

New Grill and front and rear lighting

Better ride and handling

Much better Suspension to reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). Much better shock absorbers

Increase braked towing capacity to at least 3000kg from the current 2500kg

Add more active and passive safety features

European steering box instead of the current Japanese steering box

Electronic Stability Control will be added to all Hilux models

Edited by Spoonman

On paper there is quite a big difference between available power between the 2.2 and 3.2 Ford which I would have thought very noticeable on the road seeing as both rides have the same final drive ratio. huh.png

3.2 = 197 hp @ 3000rpm..................346 ft/lb torque @ 1500rpm

2.2 = 147 hp @ 3700rpm..................276 ft/lb torque @ 1500rpm

The 2.2 seems to be a slug. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Honestly there was fug all difference driving them both, maybe because the 2.2 is manual and the 3.2 was auto, I dunno.

Ive had a run against my mates 3.2 auto as well and the 2.2 was able to hold it own.

22" rims kills it though, it is now definately a slug !!!

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Really ?

I have the 2.2 manual and am surprised at how well it does go and having driven a 3.2 auto for the week whilst mine was in the panel shop I did not feel he 3.2 was that much better, granted the extra torque was noticeable but with the same final drive ratio it in reality was the same to drive......... I guess it comes into it's own when carrying a load.

EDIT: to add, the 2014 Vigo is just another facelift as I thought the "new" Vigo release date had been pushed back until 2016.

Some changes expected in New Model New Shape 2014 Major Change Toyota Hilux are as follows:

New Grill and front and rear lighting

Better ride and handling

Much better Suspension to reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). Much better shock absorbers

Increase braked towing capacity to at least 3000kg from the current 2500kg

Add more active and passive safety features

European steering box instead of the current Japanese steering box

Electronic Stability Control will be added to all Hilux models

I would think that a Vigo that is released Q3 2014 will be called the 2015 model, and the 2014 model be what will be sold in the second half of this year.

Two years ago I bought a truck and enjoyed it. Six months ago I bought a Swift for mrs mjj and now the truck is being sold because its rubbish. I will never buy a truck again. No use to the op but I just wanted to give an opinion. As ace of pop says, boing, boing, boing.

It is fun getting the back to step out though. :-)

Unfortunately so far only people defending their choices, no real answers for the op.

@ the OP, looking at the prices you mention you're comparing 2 models with more differences than just the 4wd, the price difference is not big enough for that. Personally I'd not choose the 4wd, I had one and hardly ever used it, and I never noticed a 4wd will hold value better than another type, they all hold value very well.

So I'd much rather have the better equipped car over the 4wd.

Thanks Steve for your reply. I think your right in saying that its better to get a more equipped vehicle rather than the 4wd. I've toured most of the garages in Pattaya trying to see whats on offer and personally feel that for me the Toyota is the best option....e.g. resale value, after sales and also I do personally enjoy the driving experience.

The black interior on the TRD and 50th Anniversary models goes a very long way to improving the feeling inside IMHO - but the tri-color TRD interior doesn't do as well as the 50th's all-black theme.

The Sportivo is only available in 2.5L, with flat white or black mica paint.

The 50th is only available in 3.0L, with flat white or purple mica paint.

Both of these special editions will % for % have slightly better resale value over a standard Prerunner - so if you can live with the higher price (and extra goodies) and the limited colors available, they would likely be the wisest choice.

At least you'd have something slightly different to Somchai average too - so easier to spot in the BigC carpark and some bragging rights at tailgate parties biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Black mica doesn't scratch any easier than other colors, but darker colors will always show up imperfections more, but conversely also look better when well maintained.

If you're willing to put in the work (or pay for it) to keep it washed & waxed, darker colors will almost always finish better. If you're the type that likes to go a couple of weeks or months of driving inbetween washes, a lighter color would probably make more sense though..

As for 4x4 - if you don't need it, don't buy it. Thai's have long ago given up buying 4x4 versions for no reason, and they don't attract any more in the used market on a % basis. It will also cost you more to insure, and if financing mean a higher downpayment needed and probably a worse interest rate too.

Good info above, thanks. Again, I agree in what you say with the point about the 50th edition and the resale value which may have slightly better resale value in the future. Im swinging ever closer to this model and just hope that when I wake tomorrow morning my head has made a decisive decision with regards the colour! Got to say the Fortuners look excellent (personal opinion of course) in the white though the Toyota pickups look much better in darker colour (black). The pickup itself would be well looked after at home (the missus loves to clean cars/motorbikes!) so your comments above are encouraging me to go for the Black Mica....

Luggage Capacity always make me smile. Just look at the Ferang Nit Wits here, see em every week in Big C. Load Capacity of their Mellon Cart 1000 Kilos,and ten Villagers.yet the put one trolly load in the Air Con Bit. Then the Pussy Whipped Guy looks in envy at a Georgeous Suzi Swift that doesnt Biong Boing all the way Home like a freakin Kangaroo.cheesy.gif

If you are as confused about pickup trucks and cars as you are about the use of capital letters, your comments make perfect sence (not). whistling.gif

Dont teachers post in the Scooter section.cheesy.gif

Luggage Capacity always make me smile. Just look at the Ferang Nit Wits here, see em every week in Big C. Load Capacity of their Mellon Cart 1000 Kilos,and ten Villagers.yet the put one trolly load in the Air Con Bit. Then the Pussy Whipped Guy looks in envy at a Georgeous Suzi Swift that doesnt Biong Boing all the way Home like a freakin Kangaroo.cheesy.gif

If you are as confused about pickup trucks and cars as you are about the use of capital letters, your comments make perfect sence (not). whistling.gif

How many times must you be told, scooter is a small "s"!

How many times must you be told, scooter is a small "s"!

I failed my English exams too. crying.gif .........................................smile.png

I have the 4x4 vigo and it is an awesome ride, touch wood.

Had it for just over 4 years and it still drives like new.

Never had a problem with it, not one, not even a flat tyre, touch more wood.

4 wheel drive is handy, I have used it several times and we had planned to do a lot of off road adventures, just never got around to it as yet, but at least we CAN.

Auto in this country with the amount of idiots and breaking needed is essential.

It is black and can confirm it is hard to keep clean and scratches show easily. However, bad boy black looks best and we keep it dirty, 4 wheel drives are not meant to be pristine.

It's totally illogical here in Thailand but I agree, black is best.