Flying Back With Girlfriend After Holiday In Thailand

I will visit Thailand later this year and would like my Thai girlfriend to visit the UK for a holiday immediately after. She has never travelled by airplane and lacks confidence in speaking English, therefore she would prefer to travel with me on my return journey.

I previously lived in Thailand for several years but have always taken the journey alone and mostly bought economy flights via the Internet. How easy (or not) will it be for me to buy my return flight starting in the UK and buy a return flight for the girlfriend with her journey to the UK on the same flight as mine? If we do this, is it likely to make our flights significantly more expensive than if I had just bought an economy ticket for myself?

I should add that our journeys will be in August (I am a school teacher in the UK) and my girlfriend has not yet applied for a UK visa. Personally, I would like to book my flights ASAP but the girlfriend cannot book hers until we confirm that she will be granted a visa.

depends on the airline and if you can book seats at the time of booking>

BA for example will block seats so that you can sit together only if you book at the same time.

Edited by beano2274

Best bet might be: buy your own ticket online, then ask a travel agent in Thailand to help book the GF ticket. Give them details of the flight you want her to be on

That could work

Yes, and my point is, once you have yours sorted, then travel agent can sort out to get her on the same flight! by then you'd have sorted her visa... :)

Yes, and my point is, once you have yours sorted, then travel agent can sort out to get her on the same flight! by then you'd have sorted her visa... smile.png

If you have any hassle with return flights you can always change your return date and in most cases the first change is free.

It might be sensible to fly with Thai Airways who will be sympathetic to your plans and speak her language.

If you book on Emirates on line, for example, you can choose your seat and just by using your booking reference and then use yr gf's booking reference and book the seat next to you . If that seat is taken then move yr seat , but if you are quick and do the two seat allocations at the same time you should be right. . Other airlines must have similar systems . Emirates usually have ,but not always, a Thai speaking flight assistant .

If you book on Emirates on line, for example, you can choose your seat and just by using your booking reference and then use yr gf's booking reference and book the seat next to you . If that seat is taken then move yr seat , but if you are quick and do the two seat allocations at the same time you should be right. . Other airlines must have similar systems . Emirates usually have ,but not always, a Thai speaking flight assistant .

You can only book the seat 24 hours before take off which is near enough last minute. I've flown back from Thailand with Emirates a few times and they are a great airline and the A380 is some aeroplane. However the hassle factor of the stop in the middle east makes me suggest you'd be better off with a direct flight. During the stop you'll be separated as they do not screen men in the same line as women.

With Thai or similar you only have the immigration at Heathrow where you are on hand to help her.

My gf flew by herself to oz on Thai. When I booked it for her I told them she was a first time flyer and they assisted her through customs and immigration at both ends. They were very good in that regard.

So if you just cannot fly with her that is one option to ease her fears.

You can only book the seat 24 hours before take off which is near enough last minute. I've flown back from Thailand with Emirates a few times and they are a great airline and the A380 is some aeroplane. However the hassle factor of the stop in the middle east makes me suggest you'd be better off with a direct flight. During the stop you'll be separated as they do not screen men in the same line as women.

With Thai or similar you only have the immigration at Heathrow where you are on hand to help her.

Not correct...

Having travelled many times between UK and Thailand with Emirates, and three times with my Thai wife, you can select your seats at the time you make the booking. Also, at Dubai you can go through together, they do not separate men and women.

• Like 1

I like Emirates but I hate Dubai airport and the security hassles. What about the long lines waiting to be screened Rawhod?

It's not just me either as you can read here. http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Airport_forum/dxb.htm

Flights with stopovers are cheaper but in my case not worth all the angst.

Amman and Royal Jordanian are to be avoided. Jet are cheap but the seats are very hard especially on the 737 from India to Thailand. I've tried them twice but never again.Chaotic security in Mumbai and Delhi combined with long lines.

For the sake of a few hundred hundred pounds I prefer the 11/12 hour direct flight.

You get what you pay for and the saving is earned by being messed around for hours.

Edited by Jay Sata

My gf flew by herself to oz on Thai. When I booked it for her I told them she was a first time flyer and they assisted her through customs and immigration at both ends. They were very good in that regard.

So if you just cannot fly with her that is one option to ease her fears.

My sister in law had the same service from EVA when she flew with them alone BKK to LHR.

Most airlines will do this, I believe, though some will charge. EVA didn't, it was free.

I like Emirates but I hate Dubai airport and the security hassles. What about the long lines waiting to be screened Rawhod?

Correct...I cannot disagree about the waiting to be screened, but the airport, apart from being enormous, is OK.

Correct...I cannot disagree about the waiting to be screened, but the airport, apart from being enormous, is OK.

I don't know about OK. Like most it's a shopping mall with aeroplanes.

It's expensive to eat in drink there.

It's a pity Emirates don't fly BKK/LHR direct. I hope Thai will mirror their service onboard when the A380 starts doing the London route.

My favourite aircraft compared to the Boeing's which are looking and feeling dated now.

depends on the airline and if you can book seats at the time of booking>

BA for example will block seats so that you can sit together only if you book at the same time.

Not true, if you contact the airline and have them link your PNR's (Passenger Reference Number) this can be done after the booking has been made.

To avoid female angst either wait until she has her visa or book your flights and don't tell her, if/when her visa comes up book he on the same flight and have the airline link your PNR's together.

NB: The latter does come with its own issues ;)

Edited by GrantSmith

May cost you a bit more money. But I would pay for a one way flight to Thailand. Then purchase 2 returns flights from Thailand.

It's cheaper for the OP to book a return with a decent airline and change his return later.

In circumstances like this the cheapest option is not the best option and flights from Thailand to the UK are more expensive than booking a UK open jaw return.

I've known people book cheapo tickets that with stop overs mean it could take 48 hours to get home.

You pay your money and take your choicecoffee1.gif

I do this all the time. My flights are always from the UK and return to the UK. I do that 5 times a year. Once or twice a year my family here in Thailand fly with me, but they start from Bangkok and return to Bangkok.

Thats even more complicated than what you propose. I have to coordinate their one return flight with one of the legs of each of my two return tickets. I just book them all online at the same time with two or three windows open. I usually use Opodo.com to do my online bookings as they give an indication of how many seats are left available to buy. Have not had an issue in 5 years of doing this, although there is clearly a risk of something going wrong between making your online payment for one flight and then prparing the second for payment.

The risk can be cut out entirely if you find the flights that you want and then call the airline and get them to make the bookings with you on the phone. There might be a premium (not necessarily so though) and, other than Thai Airways (if calling from Thailand) or British Airways (if calling from the UK) you are probably going to incur the cost of a fairly lengthy international call - I find that calling the airlines home base booking number (calling say Qatar in Doha) far more reliable for doing this type of booking than using say Qatars Bangkok office. As usual cutting out all risk tends to increase cost!

I assume that you will be paying. Could be a ittel trickier

"Amman and Royal Jordanian are to be avoided".

Never flown Jordanian but was in Amman last month and they have a brand new airport, very spacious and plenty of shops/restaurants to occupy yourself during a stopover. The kebab restaurant in particular is worth going to, probably worth flying there just for a large doner in fact!

"Amman and Royal Jordanian are to be avoided".

Never flown Jordanian but was in Amman last month and they have a brand new airport, very spacious and plenty of shops/restaurants to occupy yourself during a stopover. The kebab restaurant in particular is worth going to, probably worth flying there just for a large doner in fact!

I must say I've not been in there for a couple of years to be fair as I avoid the place. One of those airports where you could never get a beer.

Skytrax reviwers are still reporting it's to be avoided.

Aeroflot is another airline I'd never use again.Moscow's Sheremetyevo International is a dump.

If I was bring my girlfriend to the UK for the first time I'd want it to be a nice enjoyable trip so avoid those cheap deals with stopovers and fly direct.