Poll: Are You Considering Learning The Some Of The Russian Language?

Jingthing

Opportunity Knocks: Pattaya Russian Speaking Hub  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Russian speakers are here to stay and so are many of us non-Russian speakers.

It has occurred to me that living in Pattaya affords a good opportunity for basic Russian language learners to practice their new language.

The Russians here are mostly on holiday and I reckon lots of them would be amused to speak to some Russian learners.

Personally, I have never had any interest in learning Russian and don't see any use for it to me outside of Thailand. My interest in travelling to or moving to any Russian speaking nations (outside Pattaya) is less than zero. In Pattaya, maybe it would be fun to chat up some attractive Russian speakers for who knows what, but I doubt that would be enough motivation to bother.

On the other hand, Russian is an interesting sounding language and speaking some of it may open a few doors.

For example I happened by a hole in the wall Russian restaurant last night. All signs were in Russian and the people didn't look welcoming. Now learning basic conversational Russian wouldn't help the reading issue, it would have been a door to approaching such a place.

I would like to learn more Spanish, but Pattaya definitely isn't the place to practice Spanish. I reckon if there were as many Spanish speakers here as Russians, I would be motivated to getting more into Spanish.

As far as the poll, if you choose to vote, vote for the choice CLOSEST to the right answer for you.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the option "When The Gates of Hell Freeze Over"?

Actually I wouldnt mind learning a few choice phrases but not for publication here.

I already knew Da and Nyet. Now I know Davai. Many Thai tourism serving people seem to think they're fluent in Russkie with those three!

On second thought, maybe it's only TWO words. I don't remember the last time I heard a Thai actually say: NYET. They are mostly all about DAVAI.

Edited by Jingthing

Wouldn't it be better if everyone learned to speak Thai? After all this is Thailand, not Russia! wink.png

Probably but the poll is about Russkie. Its already well understood living in Thailand is good opportunity to learn Thai.

I'm not suggesting anyone SHOULD learn Russian. I'm just saying for those that choose to, Pattaya is a place where you have the chance to practice!

The poll is about Russkie because here in Pattaya, Russkie has become the third most important local language.

It is certainly understandable why many tourism field Thais are now finding it desirable to speak some Russian. They see money in it.

Edited by Jingthing

If I learned some russian does that give me the ability to wear the cowboy hatans boots / adidas track suit combo?

I love people watching the ruskies.. but it ends there

• Like 1

I love people watching the ruskies.. but it ends there

That's exactly where it goes wrong. Once you move beyond of the unsavoury view of Russian people in Pattaya, you may find there is much more sophistication and culture than you would imagine.

• Like 2

Yeah the people watching is great. Overall, I think it's one of the underrated pleasures of living in Pattaya.

In all my travels, the only place that beats Pattaya for people watching was Ibiza.

Anyway, I just thought of a slightly more compelling reason to learn basic Russian, at least for BAHT BUS riders.

As riders know especially during the heavy Russian season and to and from JOMTIEN, quite often you will find yourself on a bus surrounded by Russian speakers AND they quite typically are talking to each other. I mean total strangers.

Now that CAN feel somewhat alienating if you don't understand anything they are saying and they are obviously not talking to you.

Perhaps it would be a benefit to understand some of those conversations and even be in a position of adding a bit to them. I reckon for the most part these chats are quite mundane and are not about particle theory.

Edited by Jingthing

Like the Russian for, 'Where is nearest 7 Eleven? We want to eat out tonight."

Why would non-Russian speakers here need that except if they want to be helpful to Russian tourists?

Really the ONLY things I can come up with so far are as an ice breaker for Russian focused spaces here that you WANT to enter (like the restaurant example) and more strongly, lots of these Russian speakers are VERY attractive. wub.png

the men??????

• Like 1

I speak fluent Russian, but after years of being here NOW i chose not to let anyone know i can speak it or understand it.

Why? Because the moment you show you can speak Russian, the "do me favor" start to pile in. Call there, speak there, take care of this and so on.

At the end, lucky to get a thank you,

As a business owner, it would appear to be wise to speak Russian to cater for the market, however after having done that, no money is worth my time and my health

• Like 1

If someone is considering Russian, then they should ask themselves, have they learned Thai yet! Also if you have considered learning Russian, have you also considered learning Korean, Chinese, Japanese? If they are too hard, maybe could start with British or Australian! Yeah, there are lots of Russian, and most havent even learned English, which is a language most people in the world understand, especially if you travel. The only reason, I would like to speak more Russian, is so I could pick up a few of the under 150 kg ladies. Spent 5 years with Russians, and didnt learn much then, so not really interested in coming to Thailand, and learning it here.

• Like 1

Maybe they should be learning English the International language which enables those of us who are English to speak to non native English speakers such as Russians, Dutch, Americans, Australians etc. tongue.png

so niyet was my answer

Edited by marstons
  • Like 2

I don't see the point really. Of the Russians I've seen in Thailand, I would not want to interact with any of them, basically. An exception is the young Russian girls I've seen, but they are probably professionals anyway, so no need to learn their language.

Thai friends in the Tourist sector I try to encourage them to learn as much Russian as possible to promote there own welfare..Making big money takes effort and this is a great opportunity to get ahead

I am sorry to say but its a myth. The only ones who make money are the tour operators like Peagas and few Agency who sell over priced tours to them, everyone else slaves away for a "thanks" and thats if you lucky

I am willing to almost bet my house, even you learned some Russian, they will never buy a house through you or a tour.

They are taught and warned that everyone is out to steal from them, ONLY to use real Russian agents and listen to Russians ONLY

• Like 1

Does any one feels the same about Thai though? you get on the bus, and all these Thais are minding their own business, chit chatting, I should be able to chime it in Thai right?

Or we only feel that way with white people?

Anyway, I just thought of a slightly more compelling reason to learn basic Russian, at least for BAHT BUS riders.

As riders know especially during the heavy Russian season and to and from JOMTIEN, quite often you will find yourself on a bus surrounded by Russian speakers AND they quite typically are talking to each other. I mean total strangers.

Now that CAN feel somewhat alienating if you don't understand anything they are saying and they are obviously not talking to you.

Perhaps it would be a benefit to understand some of those conversations and even be in a position of adding a bit to them. I reckon for the most part these chats are quite mundane and are not about particle theory.

Honestly, Thais don't chat to strangers on baht buses nearly as much as RUSSIANS, yes, specifically RUSSIANS. I don't understand why a poll about RUSSIAN speakers invites people insisting on changing the subject to THAI language. I find that weird. The topic is clearly NOT about the many great reasons to learn Thai. That's a given. That's assumed. That's ANOTHER topic. Another topic that has ALREADY been done over 100 times, for sure.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't see any reason why I should learn the language of other foreigners in Thailand... they will not learn Swiss German either... so for me, the only language to learn is Thai, as that is the language of the country of my choice.

• Like 2