Hire Car With Driver - Insurance Question?

Mousehound

I never take anything for granted in LOS so would ask if anyone actually knows - not thinks they know - whether a car rented from a real car hire company (North wheels or Avis etc) and with a paid for driver (500Bht seems the going rate for a day) is fully covered or do I need to get comprehensive cover in addition to the hire? In other words although I am not driving as I have hired the car and driver am I still responsible for insurance?

thanks

The rental company should offer you insurance at varying levels. "A" grade is the best and is equal to what you might know as Fully Comprehensive". I'm unsure if the driver is covered but if the driver is offered by the rental company, I would assume so - however have this clarified by the company.

However, you won't get the same coverage from a second string dodgy/private type renter, so caveat emptor. I've heard of cases where these dodgy operators fill in what looks like genuine insurance forms and take your money, but when a claim is made there is no insurance cover whatsoever.

Also, as to the hired driver - have him drive you around the block a few times before you commit. Last thing you want is a 4 day hire with a driver that's unsafe or incapable.

Edit - I forgot to add - the hired driver should be named as a "driver" in the lease and insurance doc's. Also, make sure he does actually have a license, as you don't need a license to hire a car/bike - at least, that's my experience. And keep a photocopy of his license and/or ID card in case he does a runner.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

if you rent a car and it comes with the driver and he works for the same company..the insurance is the companies problem not yours, you are hiring the service not the vehicle per se

if you rent a car and use your own driver than the insurance is your problem

• Like 1

You do not want to rent a car and hire a driver where you are assuming responsibility for both. You want to hire a service, a car and driver. Go to a limo service not to a rent a car company. If you see anything that looks like a rental car agreement, go somewhere else. Otherwise, you might as well give them your wallet at the beginning and pray that they don't empty it before you're done. You want the insurance to be their problem, not yours. The cost of the different types of insurance that you will need to buy from a rental car company will pay for the extra cost of hiring a car service, and you can relax knowing that an accident is their problem.

Edited by Pacificperson
  • Like 1

From the Avis website:

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is optional, except for renters under the age of 25

Customer is liable for the full value of the Avis vehicle
if Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is not taken. If CDW is purchased, the
renter's liability is reduced to an amount ranging from 8,000 BHT
to 15,000 BHT, depending on the car group rented.

Theft Protection (TP) is included in the purchase of CDW

Note: If you require additional insurance coverage you
may purchase locally to reduce/remove the insurance excess. Just ask at
the Avis rental desk when you collect your car.

Global insurance coverages are always subject to change. Please verify at time of rental.

Actually it was 3 pick-up truck rentals and one van rental with an overnight stay. With the van I gave them a 500 baht cash deposit and my mobile telephone number and, other than that, they would not even know my name let alone passport, credit card, etc.

You do not want to rent a car and hire a driver where you are assuming responsibility for both. You want to hire a service, a car and driver. Go to a limo service not to a rent a car company. If you see anything that looks like a rental car agreement, go somewhere else. Otherwise, you might as well give them your wallet at the beginning and pray that they don't empty it before you're done. You want the insurance to be their problem, not yours. The cost of the different types of insurance that you will need to buy from a rental car company will pay for the extra cost of hiring a car service, and you can relax knowing that an accident is their problem.

My instinct tells me this is correct - or at least the way things could pan out if there were an accident. However, just checked a couple of limo sites and a day trip with a driver in a Camry to Doi inthanon or lampang and back from Chiang mai would be about 5k Bht. Looks like it will be a sorngteaw hired for the day for me.

Yeah, just rented from North Wheels last week (sans driver). Their website says full insurance is included in the price; there are no options to increase the level of insurance. I felt ok with that. Just make sure you do a complete walk-around to document each & every dent & ding before taking the car. Wheels is very good about this; I consider them honest & forthright; not trying to rip-off in any sense. I've used them several times. BTW, one-way rent from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai (or vice versa) has no additional fee, as long as you rent for at least 3 days.

I was thinking of North wheels in anycase - they quoted me an extra 500 Bht a day for a driver. Price is fine but I comne back to whether you are still liable if there is a problem. Some posters clearly think you would be liable. has anyone here had an accident with a North Wheels hire car?

I was thinking of North wheels in anycase - they quoted me an extra 500 Bht a day for a driver. Price is fine but I comne back to whether you are still liable if there is a problem. Some posters clearly think you would be liable. has anyone here had an accident with a North Wheels hire car?

As i said call (or email) and ask, they speak english there. I could do it for you, but really if you can't be bothered to do it yourself why should I.

As i said call (or email) and ask, they speak english there. I could do it for you, but really if you can't be bothered to do it yourself why should I.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have in fact contacted them, it took a while for them to reply, and they inform me that I am not liable in the event that there is an accident if they provide the driver and the car. However, the question then is is this correct? As no one seems to have experienced renting a car and a driver that has had an accident there is an element of doubt.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have in fact contacted them, it took a while for them to reply, and they inform me that I am not liable in the event that there is an accident if they provide the driver and the car. However, the question then is is this correct? As no one seems to have experienced renting a car and a driver that has had an accident there is an element of doubt.

If you hire a car and driver from the same company..ie the companies driver, you are not liable, they are, you are using their service, not renting a car per se...by your logic if you get on a bus and pay the fare..you and the other passengers would liable in the event of an accident ? but you and the passengers are not

its basically the same thing, you are a passenger using a service, not renting and being in control of the vehicle youself or by a driver in your employ

From Post #16: As no one seems to have experienced renting a car and a driver that has had an accident there is an element of doubt.

As I've said above, I have never, on at least 4 occasions now, provided to the rental car company from which I rented their driver-provided-vehicle a copy of my passport, credit card, address, nor signature on a contract. However, next time, I can maybe arrange to have an accident so I can help you out.

• Like 1

At some point, you have to take a leap on faith. I looked at the North Wheels webs site, and contrary to my earlier posts, I would rent from them. They do not seem to be using their insurance offerings as a profit center as the major car rental companies do.

From Post #16: As no one seems to have experienced renting a car and a driver that has had an accident there is an element of doubt.

As I've said above, I have never, on at least 4 occasions now, provided to the rental car company from which I rented their driver-provided-vehicle a copy of my passport, credit card, address, nor signature on a contract. However, next time, I can maybe arrange to have an accident so I can help you out.

Great! Not often you find such a helpful person. Make sure you let me know what happens