What Is The Turnaround Time For New Passports? Us Embassy Bkk.

Could use a new passport, but need to do runner to Lao for new visa and then back to US with wife fir six weeks.

I think I had read here about 2 (3) three weeks?

Need to schedule the process as well yes? So I will need to wait for appt time?? That would not work so well.

Thanks.

Give it 3 weeks from embassy here to America and to your address here, or less a few days if you pick up in Bkk. Two weeks is probably more accurate.

My last Canadian Passport 12 days to my door, from date of application at embassy..

Now waiting another new one it has been 5 days now, they forgot to take one page of the application from me and I had to mail it to them the following day since I am far from Bkk. They confirmed they sent it to Canada April 25th. I expect it May 7-8-9th.

You can apply at an ACS Outreach visit, no appointment needed.

Check their site for the schedule of when and where they'll be visiting.

As long as you're going to Laos, you can apply at the embassy there. You'd have to go retrieve the new passport yourself, though.

From here, I think 10 days to two weeks is about right.

a year ago I made application for new passport at the consulate here in Chiang Mai.

The new one arrived in my mail box in less than a week from my day of application (6 days I believe). It was processed/issued from a place in Bangkok (a contractor company).

Actually for a US passport You do not have to pick it up Yourself, I sent my girlfriend to retrieve mine in Vietiane, their is a release form You fill out giving someone permission to do so, very easy in Vietiane, most likely You will be the only customer, get the exspanded version way more pages same cost, mine took 12 days

I had extra pages added in VTE. While I was there a family came to apply for new passports. I can't tell you how long it took them to get passports, but for the entire time I was waiting they were the only other people to come in. They were there less than 10 minutes turning in the paper work.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

OK, so two weeks, but plan on three - so give myself almost a month. I will email ACS but wanted to get first hand experience.

I'm not going to VTE (Savanakhet), further I need to have my new NonO in my new pp. So I will not be doing this in Lao, nir do I want to pay $$ for a room in a most boring of cities for three weeks when I have a apt in BKK as well as a wife.

Hadva friend add pages in VTE few mos back. They groussed at him not having appt, but then added the pages anyway. He said there was no one in the place and it was typical govt nonsense, the appt. BKK, yes Vuentiane, <deleted>

How is my old pp handled? Returned when I make the app or both pp returned weeks later? I will still be on that visa.

Is there a cost for postage?

Edited by bangkokburning

Renewed mine in October. Received an email from the Embassy that it was ready for pickup 8 days after I applied. Did not have it mailed since I needed an income affidavit with the new passport to extend my permission to stay for retirement.

a year ago I made application for new passport at the consulate here in Chiang Mai.

The new one arrived in my mail box in less than a week from my day of application (6 days I believe). It was processed/issued from a place in Bangkok (a contractor company).

No way - US passports are made to order in USA and then sent here - there is no Bangkok contractor and never has been. Normal time is 7-10 days and appointments are easily made on website. There are currently 6 appointments available at Embassy on Thursday this week and every day after that have more openings. Normally only most current day or two are filled.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Lopburi.

I still need to do a border hop first week July.

They will take my pp for the duration? Both returned by post?

I live in bkk so no need for acs outreach. I could pu but rather have them send (because I want the address verification of the parcel).

Thanks for all that.

Will I need to schedule another appt for pickup? Hey, its government...

Yes, I always get a 48 page passport. Wish they gave 96 page pps, I might actually get five plus years out of it.

★US85 for page add - considering what we recieve from US govt insofar as services, its pretty criminal. Page adds abroad should be free.

Thx again.

Edited by bangkokburning

No appointment necessary for pickup. They will send you and email when it arrives and you print that out and take it with you to the Embassy. They will stamp "cancelled" in your old passport and deface the front and back covers by punching holes in them. They will also issue you a letter indicating that your old passport has been cancelled and replaced by the new number. If you are on an extension of stay, you will have to take the letter along with both passports to the office that issued the extension and have the extension transferred to the new passport (no charge). If you have a valid visa in the old passport, they will not transfer the visa to the new passport so you will have to carry both passports to use the valid visa until it expires. The Embassy will only deface the front and back cover (thanks Lopburi, I re-checked mine) so the visa can be used.

The new passport will have a new number so it will affect all of the legal documentation tied into the old passport number, ie: bank accounts, etc. - a real PITA!

Edited by wayned

Info on passports here on embassy website: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/passports.html

Appointments are normally available up to the day before planned visit unless a Monday or after long weekend.

Site states allow 2 weeks for passport but there have been reports of getting them back in a week or so.

Edited by ubonjoe

I made an appointment online with ACS Bangkok a few months ago to renew my passport...appt made for and application submitted on a Monday afternoon...was told it takes approx two weeks and they will email/call me when the passport is ready...no appointment needed for pickup. 8 business days later on a Wednesday morning I got the email the passport was ready for pickup...I jumped in the SUV and went to ACS to pick the passport up. Summary: 8 business days from application submittal to new passport in-hand in my case.

Edited by Pib

No way - US passports are made to order in USA and then sent here - there is no Bangkok contractor and never has been. Normal time is 7-10 days and appointments are easily made on website. There are currently 6 appointments available at Embassy on Thursday this week and every day after that have more openings. Normally only most current day or two are filled.

I stand corrected then. Apparently they were mailed out from Bangkok by a 'mailing contractor' then. They were handled by a 3rd party in Bangkok.

But I did get my passport, via Thai Postal, in under 1 weeks time.