Bringing Seeds Into Thailand?

kunash

Depends on which area of Thailand you are moving too, in the south some things you mention won't grow well.... the north is quite different.... depending on area... (cooler at night!)

Potatoes could be a problem, as Nematodes are a serious problem in some countries... so may be restricted.... They may need to be certified by your local Agriculture inspectors... (not sure where you would find info on that, perhaps ask your local AG Inspectors ?)

Usually most seeds are not restricted between countries...

Some years back, we had a project running in Australia, supporting the East Timorese. We contacted the bigger seed companies and asked if they could help by donating seed which would be sent to East Timor to get their gardens up and running again.

The seed companies were helpful, but pointed out that different day lengths affected germination or development, and thus seeds suitable for Oz would not necessarily be any good for the tropics.

Like Sakeopete, seeds I tried to grow here in Chiang Mai came to nothing after germination.

There is plenty of seed on sale in the bigger shops, particularly in the huge nurseries behind Tesco in Chiang Mai, and hopefully these are suitable for here.

I think my mail was just eaten by the internet!

I replied to say that different day lengths affects seed germination and development, and what might be suitable for say Europe or Southern Oz, will probably not do any good in the tropics.

specialy potatos will not do easy in thailand due to hot weather the potato does fine but he plant will burn and die

what you can do is get some old car tyres fill one up with sand plant the potato pieces as soon as they stick their head up the ground stack on the second tyre fill with sand plant ageain potatos this worked for me fine the last tyre i did not plant any potato once the plants get out of that one take the whole stack apart and plenty of potatos big and small.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I am definitely gonna' try it. Thanks.

Edited by Dap
  • Like 1

specialy potatos will not do easy in thailand due to hot weather the potato does fine but he plant will burn and die

what you can do is get some old car tyres fill one up with sand plant the potato pieces as soon as they stick their head up the ground stack on the second tyre fill with sand plant ageain potatos this worked for me fine the last tyre i did not plant any potato once the plants get out of that one take the whole stack apart and plenty of potatos big and small.

Wow, that's pretty cool K. retell. I am definitely gonna' try it. Thanks.

forgot to mention i did not use seeds but sprouted potatos cut into pieces by the way

• Like 2

forgot to mention i did not use seeds but sprouted potatos cut into pieces by the way

Thanks. That is what I will do. Have tried with the cut pieces before with disapointing

results, but the tires idea sounds good. Cheers for your post.

As far as I know, you can bring in seeds with no problem. Done it plenty of times. Even had them sent from the UK with the packaging clearly marked that it contained seeds.

Plants are a different matter, but that's not what you are asking.

Potato seeds? Potatoes are only grown in the coolest parts of the country. Tried many times with very little success as they see to suffer from some form of stem rot.

I have only seen strawberries grown near Chiang Rai and they had artificial lighting, so I guess that the day length is not enough for the plants to fruit.

As far as I know, you can bring in seeds with no problem. Done it plenty of times. Even had them sent from the UK with the packaging clearly marked that it contained seeds.

Potato seeds? Potatoes are only grown in the coolest parts of the country. Tried many times with very little success as they see to suffer from some form of stem rot.

I have only seen strawberries grown near Chiang Rai and they had artificial lighting, so I guess that the day length is not enough for the plants to fruit.

One of the biggest potato farms in Thailand is east of Nong Khai, The growing window is quite small, planted when weather cools end of November and harvested January, they then plant corn as their second crop.

Its a big concern with broadacre travelling overhead irrigation.

Third try at replying!

Day length is important in growing vegetables, and seeds designed/bred for southern or northern latitudes may not do to well in the tropics.

A group in Australia asked a seed company for donations of seed to send to East Timor, and they were unable to help, as all their stock was designed for lower latitudes in Australia.

As potatoes grow in varying altitudes in Peru, it might be just a matter of obtaining the right stock, or obtaining a hybrid designed for the tropics.

Samoneg Thailand Strawberries Capital of Thailand. 55 km west of Chiang Mai.

GPS: 18.847914, 98.735194 (Samoeng Strawberry Fair)

what you can do is get some old car tyres fill one up with sand plant the potato pieces as soon as they stick their head up the ground stack on the second tyre fill with sand plant ageain potatos this worked for me fine the last tyre i did not plant any potato once the plants get out of that one take the whole stack apart and plenty of potatos big and small

I have planted 4 car tyres and 3 month later, no potthumbsup.gif atoes, but I had a small car.....

Thanks. That is what I will do. Have tried with the cut pieces before with disapointing

results, but the tires idea sounds good. Cheers for your post.

You could also use/try 200 litre drums (steel or plastic) ..cut both the bottom and the top out of the drum...paint the drum white to reflect sunlight (heat)....plant your potatoes in the bottom..as soon as they pop their heads up.....top up (cover their heads) with sand/soil.

I used this method in New Zealand when I lived there as I only had a small area in which to grow veges.

Once the plant reaches the top of the drum.....and the head dies off....it becomes easy enough to simply lift the drum clear of the "stack" and harvest the potatoes.

Just to mention that the watering of the plant in the drum needs to be done regularly and liberally as the drum method raises the temperature of the soil (and the plant stem) versus the normal method of growing potatoes.

I have not used this method in Thailand (yet) so take method this as an alternative/suggestion.

• Like 2

Potatoes are not usually grown from seed, but from tubers.

Most potatoes are grown in parts of the world with lower humidity than Thailand (maybe implications for fungal diseases) , although the crop likes plenty of water and nutrient.

If you grow from cut tubers, be sure there is an "eye" on each piece you plant. Better to leave the cut surfaces a day or two to dry before planting. For our home use, we grow in large plastic bags, and dont bother with cutting, just plant healthy looking tubers. Planting a succession a few times a year ensures a continuous supply. If the foliage starts to show any type of disease, we remove immediately to stop it spreading to potatoes growing in nearby containers.

Strawberries are propogated from runners, not from seed.

If you want a long cropping season, be sure to choose the variety carefully. Some varieties are bred for 1 or 2 heavy crops, other variteties will bear fruit for a longer period of the year, but less at any one time. Grow in well-drained soil, and regular watering in the drier seasons will be important.

All is possible. Good Luck

Edited by bumpkin
  • Like 2

I have tried horseradish which grew almost as pest in a garden in England; once it gets going, it will take over a garden ! However, tried 4 roots in Chiang Mai - and 2 are still alive, (just) and the chances of getting the makings of a horseradish sauce from them look pretty remote at the moment. Maybe they will get stronger when it cools down and the rains come.

We always planted the horseradish near the windmell/stocktank, just for the additional mositure. harvest in fall after frost. Dry conditions seem to bring out the sharpness more. Never tried raising it here in this warm weather, good luck.

Firstly. no problems in bringing commercially packed seeds into Thailand - and despite what others have said, even certified seed potatoes. I have done it many times with no problem, even when customs have inspected my bags. I bring them in my luggage from Australia and also buy them on mail order from US.

With potatoes, make sure you buy a tropical variety - then no problems - either in the ground or in car tyres as suggested.

I grow tomatoes (both large and cherry) - but again, I make sure I buy disease resistant varieties (DRV) suited to the tropics and high humidity, beetroot, decent sized celery, asparagus, pumpkin, dwarf beans, lettuce, rocket and even herbs - eg rosemary and sage. But with all of these I make sure that i am very discriminating as to the variety I grow.

Also, for some of them there is a small window of opportunity after the rains finish and before the heat really sets in - October through February.

I might add that I have an advantage in that I live at higher altitude (Fang, Chiangmai) which means that although having hot days, we have cooler nights.

I have also found that there is a strong correlation between success and nutrient rich soil (I grow by organic principles) - they can tolerate lots of punishment as long as the soil is rich!

The other thing is to use common sense and innovation - and that doesn't necessarily mean following the seed packet instructions. eg. Greens are quite happy in 50% shade - good for growing in the tropics! Tomatoes, despite them saying they need full sun are also quite happy with up to 50% shade. In the wet season I grow them under a clear plastic roof - reduces the sun's rays and facilitates control of moisture levels. The herbs? I grow them in soil with lots of sand added and in pots - so I can keep them dry and happy in the wet season.

• Like 2

Hello All, kunash there are several threads on this forum that cover

most of what your asking verity wise and what paperwork is required by Thai

Law to bring seed/plants into LOS. Not all of us follow the rules, TIT.

What cucumber are you looking at? Villa by The Emporium(BKK) sometimes

has 5Lb. bags of russets(Ore-Ida Brand) that might grow????????

Again, it helps to give an area you plan to grow in for a better answer.

rice555

There 2-3 verities of strawberrys that can be grown from SEED, but they

deffently can't take heat/humidity in LOS.

• Like 1

There is plenty of seed on sale in the bigger shops, particularly in the huge nurseries behind Tesco in Chiang Mai, and hopefully these are suitable for here.

how can I know if the seeds I am buying in Thailand are Non-GMO?

also: (i am a novice).. if I buy a seed for a fruit (ie: Watermelon)... how can I know if its from a good source?

I'm sure there must be better seeds than others? or from better 'blood lines' so to speak. (i'm not sure the correct terminology for a plants 'blood line')

also: (i am a novice).. if I buy a seed for a fruit (ie: Watermelon)... how can I know if its from a good source?

I'm sure there must be better seeds than others? or from better 'blood lines' so to speak. (i'm not sure the correct terminology for a plants 'blood line')

montsanto is only allowed to sell some fertilizer in thailand and are on the edge of packing up their bussines here

• Like 1

montsanto is only allowed to sell some fertilizer in thailand and are on the edge of packing up their bussines here

Really??? is that for real?

sorry if I sound so sceptical, coz I find it hard to believe that one of the worlds largest and most powerful demons will give up that easy!

I was under the impression that Thailand was a MAJOR agriculture country,,, so it would be a very good earner for Monsanto to get their seeds around Thailand.

or, will Monsanto wait in the wings until Thailand finally gets Chem-trailed and Farmers find that their plants do grow as good,, and need to switch to the Monsanto resistant seeds?

Also:

if GMO seeds have a far higher 'yield', then it makes sense that Thai Farmers would choose GMO because of less wastage... (and obvious economical gain).

Sorry to ask, but do you have any more info about your statement?

Really??? is that for real?

sorry if I sound so sceptical, coz I find it hard to believe that one of the worlds largest and most powerful demons will give up that easy!

I was under the impression that Thailand was a MAJOR agriculture country,,, so it would be a very good earner for Monsanto to get their seeds around Thailand.

or, will Monsanto wait in the wings until Thailand finally gets Chem-trailed and Farmers find that their plants do grow as good,, and need to switch to the Monsanto resistant seeds?

Also:

if GMO seeds have a far higher 'yield', then it makes sense that Thai Farmers would choose GMO because of less wastage... (and obvious economical gain).

Sorry to ask, but do you have any more info about your statement?

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asiabiotech.com%2Fpublication%2Fapbn%2F10%2Fenglish%2Fpreserved-docs%2F1006%2F0325_0326.pdf&ei=pUV_UdHrHYGJrAe2kICAAw&usg=AFQjCNEJIPEwyB7k3gRWZGZl7DiCMbzjBg&sig2=QDwyQ-8eQ03x7Rqzf60lhA

just google around a bit you will find plenty

That link sounds like great news but it's almost 8yrs old and those guys are still hanging around. From my brief investigation it seems like Thailand hasn't embraced gmo as lovingly as North America which is encouraging but accurate, honest information seems hard to come by around here. Monsanto is definitely huge here for fertilizer and pesticide so the roots are there.

Hello All, please don't bring up GMO's on this thread, start one.

Please read about GMO crops(verities) before you ask questions

and you may find you can answer your own question with a little

reading.

Back to the OP, have you checked seed co's that sell in LOS for

what your looking for? Some of the veg seed available here may

not come in a small packet at the local store/mom & pop shop.

CT(CP), East-West, Known-you seed(TW website)head office CM

also one of the largest watermelon breeders.

the seed pack was Bt.17.5, usually Bt. 20.

rice555

post-37242-0-63152600-1367311973_thumb.j

• Like 1