Bringing Seeds Into Thailand?

kunash

There is plenty of seed on sale in the bigger shops, particularly in the huge nurseries behind Tesco in Chiang Mai, and hopefully these are suitable for here.

how can I know if the seeds I am buying in Thailand are Non-GMO?

also: (i am a novice).. if I buy a seed for a fruit (ie: Watermelon)... how can I know if its from a good source?

I'm sure there must be better seeds than others? or from better 'blood lines' so to speak. (i'm not sure the correct terminology for a plants 'blood line')

montsanto is only allowed to sell some fertilizer in thailand and are on the edge of packing up their bussines here

Really??? is that for real?

sorry if I sound so sceptical, coz I find it hard to believe that one of the worlds largest and most powerful demons will give up that easy!

I was under the impression that Thailand was a MAJOR agriculture country,,, so it would be a very good earner for Monsanto to get their seeds around Thailand.

or, will Monsanto wait in the wings until Thailand finally gets Chem-trailed and Farmers find that their plants do grow as good,, and need to switch to the Monsanto resistant seeds?

Also:

if GMO seeds have a far higher 'yield', then it makes sense that Thai Farmers would choose GMO because of less wastage... (and obvious economical gain).

Sorry to ask, but do you have any more info about your statement?

The COST outweighs the potiential 'benifit' from GMO seeds. Firstly financial cost: farmers can't save seeds, and seeds are expensive. Secondly GMO seed will NOT out perform native local seeds that have been used for centries.

The problem in Thailand is poor plant breeding programs. If the government invested more energy in education and possibly providing seed banks for farmers to obtain good strains, the situation would be much better. I'd like to see them work with forien governments/ international seed banks such as those found in Brazil or Austrailia to obtain/ exchange tropical tollerant plant seeds.

Let's not forget about Seed-Sovereignty and genetic diversity either! Kick Monsanto out of here!

• 1 month later...

Write to Montsanto. I'm sure they'll develop some GMO Frankenstein seeds that will grow anywhere, cross-pollinate with any heirloom plants available in the area, effectively making them property of Montsanto, and then never produce seeds of their own so you're a slave the corporate food barons.

But I got to try that potatoes in the tires trick. I like that.

• Like 2

Write to Montsanto. I'm sure they'll develop some GMO Frankenstein seeds that will grow anywhere, cross-pollinate with any heirloom plants available in the area, effectively making them property of Montsanto, and then never produce seeds of their own so you're a slave the corporate food barons.

But I got to try that potatoes in the tires trick. I like that.

i dont want their frankenseeds or food

they should be all arrested and put on trial for global genocide

have a go with you potato's that way , should be ok

good luck / chock dee Khaaaaaap

Depends on which area of Thailand you are moving too, in the south some things you mention won't grow well.... the north is quite different.... depending on area... (cooler at night!)

Potatoes could be a problem, as Nematodes are a serious problem in some countries... so may be restricted.... They may need to be certified by your local Agriculture inspectors... (not sure where you would find info on that, perhaps ask your local AG Inspectors ?)

Usually most seeds are not restricted between countries...

Seeds and plants behave differently in different latitudes. Day length is as important as temperatures. What is great for a European country might not do at all well here.

The Botanical gardens in Chiang Mai has a huge vines display, and every sort of cucumber and gourd hanging from it. Surely cucumber seed is available here.

Watermelon is also grown all over Thailand. I'd suggest buy locally where possible.

To correct Samuijimmy, seed or plants cannot be brought into Australia or New Zealand without certificates, quarantine, etc. I know this topic is about Thai imports, but you did state 'usually seeds are not restricted between countries".

Depends on which area of Thailand you are moving too, in the south some things you mention won't grow well.... the north is quite different.... depending on area... (cooler at night!)

Potatoes could be a problem, as Nematodes are a serious problem in some countries... so may be restricted.... They may need to be certified by your local Agriculture inspectors... (not sure where you would find info on that, perhaps ask your local AG Inspectors ?)

Usually most seeds are not restricted between countries...

Seeds and plants behave differently in different latitudes. Day length is as important as temperatures. What is great for a European country might not do at all well here.

The Botanical gardens in Chiang Mai has a huge vines display, and every sort of cucumber and gourd hanging from it. Surely cucumber seed is available here.

Watermelon is also grown all over Thailand. I'd suggest buy locally where possible.

To correct Samuijimmy, seed or plants cannot be brought into Australia or New Zealand without certificates, quarantine, etc. I know this topic is about Thai imports, but you did state 'usually seeds are not restricted between countries".

I never said any thing about taking stuff to Aus or NZ, so not sure why you are trying to correct some thing I did not say. The "usually" was intended to say check first with local Agricultural department first, which I did say..... blink.pngcoffee1.gif