Schengen Visa For Italy

My Thai wife and I are planning a trip to Italy to visit her daughter. Although she will have all the proper documentation required by the Italian embassy and meet the necessary requirements, I have one lingering concern. One of the requirements is to have airline tickets to and from Italy prior to the visa being issued. What if, for some unforseen reason, her visa is denied? Then I am stuck with tickets we cannot use. Can I somehow get reservations and pay after the visa is confirmed? I could purchase refundable tickets, but they can be several hundred dollars more and I imagine only headaches getting the money refunded.

Is there anyone out there that has experience with this dilemma and can give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

This question was asked recently, I do believe that there are some travel agents in Bangkok that will provide an itinerary that satisfies Schengen requirements, though I couldn't tell you which ones they are.

I am in Udon Thani. Perhaps I will check some of the travel agents here. Thanks for the information.