How's The Job Market?

Either employers don't bother to delete jobs ads, or there is a dramatic shortage of teachers!

Take **direct link edited out* where the number of Secondary teaching jobs dropped by 2 since last week. And on (link edited out) there are many re-posts and last minute posts...

Some schools offer way below 30,000 while having tough requirements. NES, a teaching degree etc. This might work in Chiang Mai or some other attractive location. But some directors seem to be thinking about their budgets. Lots of NES have been replaced by Philippinas and in some cases Frankophil speakers from African countries. 15,000 Baht, willing to work on a T-Visa? Yep!

How do you see the job market? I would like some reports from the job front.

Good luck finding employment the next few weeks!

Edited by Scott

Please don't posts links to other forums, it is against the rules.

That said, it's hard to know if there is really a shortage or not. The adverts stay up for a pre-determined amount of time, I believe.

I'll let you know when we try to replace a native speaking high school physics teacher (who had been with us 7 years( that did not have his contract renewed, next week. English teachers seem easy to come by, but these are mostly from agencies and only hang around a few months to a year. My school has been generally lucky with math/science teachers - among four of us we had been at the school for a combined 30 years or more. It is much harder to replace math/science teachers, as I think we are going to find out. It's all up to how much schools are willing to pay for native speaker teachers. Anyone having been here 5 years or more usually command higher salaries and schools aren't often willing to pay such salaries, even though they can easily budget for it.

I'll let you know when we try to replace a native speaking high school physics teacher (who had been with us 7 years( that did not have his contract renewed, next week. English teachers seem easy to come by, but these are mostly from agencies and only hang around a few months to a year. My school has been generally lucky with math/science teachers - among four of us we had been at the school for a combined 30 years or more. It is much harder to replace math/science teachers, as I think we are going to find out. It's all up to how much schools are willing to pay for native speaker teachers. Anyone having been here 5 years or more usually command higher salaries and schools aren't often willing to pay such salaries, even though they can easily budget for it.

I had an agency call me in for an interview last month. He could not match my current salary package. He could only offer Bt30k/mo on a 10 month contract. He was shocked that I had a 12 month contract and advised that I should stay put. He said those are becoming rare.

The interviewer told me he's having difficulty finding quality candidates. He interviews many, but does not like them.

I had an agency call me in for an interview last month. He could not match my current salary package. He could only offer Bt30k/mo on a 10 month contract. He was shocked that I had a 12 month contract and advised that I should stay put. He said those are becoming rare.

The interviewer told me he's having difficulty finding quality candidates. He interviews many, but does not like them.

Staff never stay with one school on a 10 month contract. How are they supposed to survive on only 10 months pay? Our school uses both an agency (the school really doesn't like to though), and walk-ins. The walk-ins get 12 month salary + bonus and quite a bit higher salary than the agency teachers (10-15K a month better), yet the school still needs to fork out 50K a month for the agency teachers. They are starting to realise this is a false economy...

^ Interesting that the agency works with the school and doesn't have an exclusive contract. My school wanted to hire me and told me I have to go through their agency.

50K, 60K, 65K plus bonus? You must be working at a university or private school in Bangkok.

Government schools in smaller towns and cities barely offer 360K/year anymore, that's what my experience is. No housing, no visa, no WP.

About seven years ago I made 360K plus housing 5K/month. Now I tried to get 360K in my second year and was rebuffed, still make only 330K and things are more expensive these days!

I'd say that many Government schools are not interested in the quality of teachers, or in keeping them employed for years. Schools are run like sweat shops: get the best looking NS teachers with degrees, no matter how poor they perform, pay them as little as possible and if there are problems fire them and call the agency to send the next. Blame the high turn over on the foreigners.

^ Interesting that the agency works with the school and doesn't have an exclusive contract. My school wanted to hire me and told me I have to go through their agency.

50K, 60K, 65K plus bonus? You must be working at a university or private school in Bangkok.

Government schools in smaller towns and cities barely offer 360K/year anymore, that's what my experience is. No housing, no visa, no WP.

About seven years ago I made 360K plus housing 5K/month. Now I tried to get 360K in my second year and was rebuffed, still make only 330K and things are more expensive these days!

I'd say that many Government schools are not interested in the quality of teachers, or in keeping them employed for years. Schools are run like sweat shops: get the best looking NS teachers with degrees, no matter how poor they perform, pay them as little as possible and if there are problems fire them and call the agency to send the next. Blame the high turn over on the foreigners.

Yes private schools in BKK will pay 50K+. I wouldn't work in a government school teaching 50 kids or more. I think I'd get depressed at how little I can achieve with such large classes. My classes this coming year will range from 7 to about 20 students.

• 2 weeks later...

Unexpectedly, my phone was ringing after 9 pm. And several e-mails trickled in. Seems those who recruit have no sense of urgency.

One school wants to hold the interview in 9 days!

There is a loss of earnings to be considered, too.

And some seem to invite a large number of applicants to their interviews.

If you are still looking for a job, you might get unexpectedly late responses these days, too.

Good luck!