Wilcox County, Ga. School Celebrates 1St Integrated Prom

Maestro

Wilcox County, Ga. school celebrates 1st integrated prom
11:29 AM, Apr 29, 2013

WMGT - Clad in glorious ball gowns and tuxedos, Wilcox County, Ga. students weren't just celebrating the end of the school year at this year's prom. They were also celebrating the beginning of an era.

"I feel like we are living Martin Luther King's dream," one student named Alexis Miller said.

Miller, a Caucasian student at Wilcox County High School, dates an African-American.

For decades, separate segregated dances divided the community and forced students like Miller to choose a side - until now. On Saturday night, Miller and her boyfriend dressed up and went to Wilcox County's first integrated prom together.

Read more (and video): http://www.9news.com/news/sidetracks/333326/337/Georgia-school-celebrates-1st-integrated-prom

That kind of story gives a false impression that segregated proms are typical in the American south these days ... coffee1.gif

I followed the link at the end of the linked article in the OP and got the exact opposite impression, ie that "while such traditions seem taboo in 2013, the segregated proms still have supporters" in Wilcox County.

I cannot help finding it totally shocking that segregated proms happen at all......and you hear many a complaint on here about the Thais being racist!!

They hardly do so it really isn't so shocking. This town is a backwater, outlier. NOT typical.

I followed the link at the end of the linked article in the OP and got the exact opposite impression, ie that "while such traditions seem taboo in 2013, the segregated proms still have supporters" in Wilcox County.

I'm sure but that is not at all typical in the "New" south. I'm not saying the racism problem is solved in the USA. Far from it. But some things just aren't done anymore.

Edited by Jingthing

I cannot help finding it totally shocking that segregated proms happen at all......and you hear many a complaint on here about the Thais being racist!!

They hardly do so it really isn't so shocking. This town is a backwater, outlier. NOT typical.

I appreciate it isn't typical, but as a UK trained teacher, I find even just one school doing it totally abhorrent. Schools should be setting an example to the children, not condoning a practice such as segregation.

I suppose we should extend them some level of appreciation that they have finally changed things; maybe a greetings card welcoming them to the 21st century would be appropriate.

• Like 2

That kind of story gives a false impression that segregated proms are typical in the American south these days ... coffee1.gif

I see nothing in the story that suggests that these proms are typical of the southern US.

I am sorry you didn't get my point but it's not important enough to me to further explain it. Cheers.

There's the Georgia way to hold a prom and then there is the California way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calif. school blunder: All dressed up but no prom
Associated Press – 10 hrs ago
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — Everyone got stood up at one Southern California high school's prom. The dance itself was a no-show.
KABC-TV Los Angeles reports (http://bit.ly/18lwRRb ) dozens of tuxedo-clad and corsage-wearing teens from Bloomington High School traveled 40 miles to Santa Anita Park on Saturday, only to discover they hadn't been told that the date of the big night had changed.
Instead of the enchanting evening they were expecting, students were served chicken strips in a hastily arranged small hall where someone played music from a laptop computer.

http://news.yahoo.com/calif-school-blunder-dressed-no-prom-220513287.html;_ylt=AgJ7.MDfwuBQBVcdi5bN7SUm7.x_;_ylu=X3oDMTIycmp1ZnA5BG1pdANIQ01PTCBvbiBhcnRpY2xlIHJpZ2h0IHJhaWwEcGtnA2lkLTMyMjU4ODkEcG9zAzYEc2VjA2hjbQR2ZXIDOQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTBhYWM1a2sxBGxhbmcDZW4tVVM-;_ylv=3

Kids nowadays. When I went to school, we had to do all the decorating for the prom, but we kept the gymnasium locked so no one could see. We also had to smuggle all the vodka in by ourselves to spike the punch and we had to get the back door situated so that it was not locked and we were able to sneak in and out.

Oh, and we had to bring our own records to the Prom as well!

But we did have a really great time and if we wouldn't have, we would have had no one to blame but ourselves.