Bangkok Is Asia's 13Th Most-Polluted City

webfact

Bangkok is Asia's 13th most-polluted city
Saowanee Nimpanpayungwong
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok ranks 13th in Asia when it comes to air pollution in the form of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), according to research revealed yesterday.

"On average, the amount of PAHs in Bangkok is 2.2 times higher than the safe limit," said Associate Professor Siwat Pongpiajun, head of the NIDA Centre for Research and Development of Disaster Prevention and Management.

NIDA's study analysed the cancer risks from PAHs in samples collected from seven air-quality monitoring stations in Bangkok from 2006 to 2009.

The safe limits require that PAHs stand at no more than 250 picograms per cubic metre of air.

"But on average, the amount is 554 picograms in Bangkok," Siwat said.

The highest PAH readings were from the Keha Chumchon Din Daeng monitoring station.

"It is as high as 990 picograms," Siwat said.

People facing the highest risks from PAHs were those living by the roadside.

According to Siwat, residents in Beijing face even higher cancer risks from PAHs, with readings as high as 24,600 picograms per one cubic metre of air. "That is 98 times higher than the safe limit," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais who count don't spend any time breathing outdoor air in Bangkok. They shuttle from their closed off gated houses to Paragon and other malls in their chauffeured cars untouched by human hands.

Some one should tell the BiB they could make a fortune from testing exhaust emissions, the amount of emissions coming out of all types of badly maintained vehicles is beyond belief.

These days when I pull up at traffic lights I look at the other exhausts to see which one's are splattering out oil and the like, then manoeuvre away from them. I don't understand why the Thai authorities are not clamping down on this.

Exhaust fumes are choking the city.

Exhaust is tested every year when doing the yearly reqistration for cars 7 years or older.

• Like 1

Some one should tell the BiB they could make a fortune from testing exhaust emissions, the amount of emissions coming out of all types of badly maintained vehicles is beyond belief.

These days when I pull up at traffic lights I look at the other exhausts to see which one's are splattering out oil and the like, then manoeuvre away from them. I don't understand why the Thai authorities are not clamping down on this.

Exhaust is tested every year when doing the yearly reqistration for cars 7 years or older.

Tested by who?

Did you actually ever see one of those tests you mention?

Nothing is tested, ever.

You pay a fee, get your stamp and that's it.

So tell us something new, they only thing we didn't know was the ladder position in relation to Beijing or Ulaanbaatar or for that matter H.K., so why did the government have a splurge on the public coffers and bring in first time car buyers scheme , Yingluck PTP with the sugar coated pill trick , it cures every thing, the brother thought so to.bah.gif

Tested by who?

Did you actually ever see one of those tests you mention?

Nothing is tested, ever.

You pay a fee, get your stamp and that's it.

Yep, seen a done it. Brakes and exhaust tested, stamped and approved.

Do u have car?

• Like 1

My lungs tell me nothing has gotten better in the last 12 years. I yearn to retire and leave the city for some clean air.

Did you know, that if all the soy dogs in Bangkok "farted" all at once the methane gas content would be so high that if somebody struck a match, it would blow Bangkok off the face of the map of Thailand.

• Like 2

I say if you do not like the free smog and pollution of Bangkok leave Thailand.

Your responds is somewhat barmy, nobody likes any type of smog / pollution because it causes health problems, thus your reply should have been ... if the air-pollution causes you health problems then I suggest you should leave Thailand.

I would realy hate to see the other 12 then.I am glad my body has told me in the past how bad Bangkok is,Within 10 minutes my eyes water, i get a headache and my throat is sore when i visit smog city.

Most people i meet who live in Bangkok are very strange,it could have something to do with the air pollution

Where does Chiang Mai rank during slash and burn season?

Measured on the average, OK.

Just lethal for 3 months of the year. Don't talk about it. Getting people to stop burning everything is just toooo hard. Nicking foreigners for dropping fag butts is so much easier.

My lungs tell me nothing has gotten better in the last 12 years. I yearn to retire and leave the city for some clean air.

Did you know, that if all the soy dogs in Bangkok "farted" all at once the methane gas content would be so high that if somebody struck a match, it would blow Bangkok off the face of the map of Thailand.

When do we start????,i could even fart a few times if this helps

Edited by somtampet
  • Like 1

When do we start????,i could even fart a few times if this helps

I think someone works for Heinz here. This is just too appealing an option.

• Like 1

Just perception but I think the air is much, much better than decades past.

13th isn't so bad. Id love to know the cities over and under. This is Asia, not the world.

Last few days slthough hot have been beautiful with eves a bit sticky.

NGV, getting rid of old vehicled both ++

So many old vehicles remain, so many new autos on the road.

Its the pollution you dont see obviously...

Edited by bangkokburning

Well replace one belching bus with 10 brios and the effect is probably equal.

Well replace one belching bus with 10 brios and the effect is probably equal.

Exactly my point - so many new autos on the road. Reminds me of the problems in LA.