Bangkok Prepares For Rainy Season

webfact

City prepares for rainy season
Tanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- With heavy downpours of up to 220 millimetres expected from May to July, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday called a meeting to hash out a flood prevention and mitigation plan.

After the meeting at the BMA Drainage Office, Bangkok Deputy Governor Amorn Kijchawengkul said drainage-pipe dredging in the capital was 37.78 per cent complete, while the Corrections Department's drainage-pipe dredging work was 29.55 per cent finished.

About 3.8 million sandbags have been reserved for use in case of flooding. Canal-dredging is 57.27 per cent complete, water-hyacinth clearing from canals is 58.95 per cent done, and water-pump installation in flood-prone areas had been completed, he said.

Amorn said the Thai Meteorological Department forecast a slightly higher than usual level of rainfall from May-July.

Bangkok could be affected by a low-pressure area as well as a cyclone, so average rainfall was projected at about 140-180 millimetres per month in the period, and as high as 220mm in May.

The city had capacity to drain rainfall at a rate of 60mm per hour, he said, adding he was confident there would be no repeat of the devastating flooding seen in 2011.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-01

I can't believe this is an official statement as there are none of the usual brave words of re-assurance such as " vigorous action ", " all necessary steps ", " fighting / combating the problem " but maybe they are distracted by deciding on suitable excuses if it goes pear shaped again

• Like 1

I can't believe this is an official statement as there are none of the usual brave words of re-assurance such as " vigorous action ", " all necessary steps ", " fighting / combating the problem " but maybe they are distracted by deciding on suitable excuses if it goes pear shaped again

Don't forget "all appropriate 'measures' are being taken." Thais are habitually "measuring" and taking measures to ensure.

May does have high rain fall. I didn't even know that after 10 years in the city, maybe I should get out of bed more often.

Your chart is from 1961-1990 and doesn't reflect the increase due to global warming.

And yes, I am kidding trolling.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Don't forget "all appropriate 'measures' are being taken." Thais are habitually "measuring" and taking measures to ensure.

To be rapidly followed a period of "mulling" what to do, then a rapid period of "slamming" each other after the event, and then eventually people will politely be "urged" to do something, at which point a half baked solution will be made

• Like 1

The ideal time for the coup when people are off the streets due to rain... but I reckon August or September - the two wettest months. But really - the rainy season has yet to start after only a couple of minor showers so far. Average rainfall below.

May 190.5 mm

Jun 152.4 mm

Jul 157.5 mm

Aug 188.0 mm

Sep 320.0 mm

Edited by Locationthailand

Water hyacinth clearing? Dredging? I drive past dozens of canals daily from Bangkapi to Sukhumvit and have never seen them do it. I just walked to our local canal and it is full of water hyacinth. Never seen it so clogged.

They haven't mentioned the 'water pushers'...hope they've all been serviced and ready to go whistling.gif

I keep on reading posts ridiculing the idea of water pushers or boats.

Try this. If you have a river 100 meters wide and 5 meters deep and the water is flowing at 75,000 M3/minute, how much faster will 10,000,000 acre feet of water drain if you put 10,000 HP of boat propellers into the flow?

If you can answer that very simple hydrodynamic problem, feel free to comment on the validity of using water pushers.

They haven't mentioned the 'water pushers'...hope they've all been serviced and ready to go whistling.gif

Try this. If you have a river 100 meters wide and 5 meters deep and the water is flowing at 75,000 M3/minute, how much faster will 10,000,000 acre feet of water drain if you put 10,000 HP of boat propellers into the flow?

If you can answer that very simple hydrodynamic problem, feel free to comment on the validity of using water pushers.

An intsy wintsy tiny bit, not allowing for friction and turbulence losses of course.

An intsy wintsy tiny bit, not allowing for friction and turbulence losses of course.

Ooh. Sorry.

I can't even give you partial credit for that answer....

555!!

drainage-pipe dredging in the capital was 37.78 per cent complete

Canal-dredging is 57.27 per cent complete,

water-hyacinth clearing from canals is 58.95 per cent done

Did they get new calculators and don't yet know how to round?

To be rapidly followed a period of "mulling" what to do, then a rapid period of "slamming" each other after the event, and then eventually people will politely be "urged" to do something, at which point a half baked solution will be made

And finally a government crackdown followed by a vow from the PM.

555!!

drainage-pipe dredging in the capital was 37.78 per cent complete

Canal-dredging is 57.27 per cent complete,

water-hyacinth clearing from canals is 58.95 per cent done

Did they get new calculators and don't yet know how to round?

Must be using the new school tablets.

step 1. move your belonging to the second floor

step 2. buy a boat

whistling.gifclap2.gif

Step 3. learn to swim

If all else fails advertise Bangkok as a tourist destination like:

"And yes just like Kakadu National Park" we too have alligators and crocodiles swimming in the river and oh don't forget the snakes and scorpions and feces etc,, you know my drift.

The ideal time for the coup when people are off the streets due to rain... but I reckon August or September - the two wettest months. But really - the rainy season has yet to start after only a couple of minor showers so far. Average rainfall below.

May 190.5 mm

Jun 152.4 mm

Jul 157.5 mm

Aug 188.0 mm

Sep 320.0 mm

Why did you omit October?

Sep. & Oct. are generally the wettest months.

Water hyacinth clearing? Dredging? I drive past dozens of canals daily from Bangkapi to Sukhumvit and have never seen them do it. I just walked to our local canal and it is full of water hyacinth. Never seen it so clogged.

58.95%smile.png