Is This Possible In Linux?

narkeddiver

I've worked out that pretty much all I need windows 7 for these days is iTunes as I use it to stream music and films to my Apple TV

Can I install Ubuntu on my laptop and then create a virtual machine running Windows 7 that I can use to iTunes?

The windows 7 virtual machine would need access to my wireless network so that it can stream to my Apple TV and access the Internet to grab the content I have stored in the iCloud - can the virtual machine share the Internet connection with the Ubuntu desktop?

Thanks in advance

Can't view ext4 filesystem under windows natively, so I wouldn't suggest a VM for what you want to achieve.

Install iTunes under wine instead. Plenty of guides online if needs be.

umm, that really has nothing to do with the OP question, does it?

Can't view ext4 filesystem under windows natively, so I wouldn't suggest a VM for what you want to achieve.

Install iTunes under wine instead. Plenty of guides online if needs be.

Not natively but there is free software you can install to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help with this guys - finally back from my travels and I got this set up and working in a few hours

Downloaded Ubuntu 13.04 and installed it on an old laptop

Downloaded virtual box and installed it

Downloaded a trial iso of windows 7

Setup a windows 7 machine in virtual box with a bridged network

Downloaded iTunes 11 in windows 7, authenticated the new computer, downloaded a track from the cloud, switched on home sharing and the Apple TV picked up the track and played it

The only issue I'm having is that Ubuntu isn't giving me the correct graphics resolutions

In Ubuntu I can't go beyond 1280 x 800 but in windows I can go to 1600 x 1200 so I'm guessing its a driver issue in Ubuntu

I'm running an nvidia g84m - does anyone know where I can get the correct driver from?

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion Psych - I followed all the steps and installed the recommended driver but still no joy - I guess I'm going to be stuck with the crummy resolution for the time being

Time to break out google search ;)

• Like 1

Typical - I got a reply recommending that I create a custom resolution just as I'm heading out the door - fortunately the 12.04 download is still running so I will try this suggestion this evening when I get back home

Ok from further research it appears that the LCD screen on my laptop will only support 1280 x 800 (it's an old machine ;)) hence ubuntu is quite logically only supporting 1280 x 800

My main laptop runs 1920 x 1080 and currently dual boots ubuntu and windows 7 so I will install virtualbox and windows 7 in the Ubuntu boot and see what resolution I get in there