Cm Visa Experts - Help Needed

LawrenceChee

Coming home again to CM using my singapore passport which gives me 30 days visa free at the airport...anyone know if I can get a 90 day tourist visa done at the local CM immigration office or thru an agent in CM without having to fly out...and all the hassle

Thanks again for the help !

Lawrence

Hey LC.

I'm pretty sure all of your 90 day tourist visas are only originated by consulates that are outside of the country. You have to do the paperwork and pay, then show up in Thld with it already in hand. Don't quote me, but I'm 95% sure of that. There is also a "Work and Visas in Thailand" subforum with very accurate info. Not CM specific, but again, this might bounce up to a bigger principal than a local kind of question. Good luck.

• Like 2

rtd is correct; 'visas' are applied for outside (which get stamped on the way in), extensions are done inside.

As above, 60-day tourist visa then a 30-day extension (at CM Imm giggle.gif ) would do it.

/edit: smiley inserted.//

Edited by jackr

Is there a Thai embassy or consulate in SG? I'd be surprised if not. Double entry tourist visa - you can do it yourself by going to the Embassy and filling the forms in (2 photo's required) or get an agent locally. Travel agents in the area backpackers stay will do the visas, head for where they stay if you want an agent.

rtd is correct; 'visas' are applied for outside (which get stamped on the way in), extensions are done inside.

As above, 60-day tourist visa then a 30-day extension (at CM Imm giggle.gif ) would do it.

Yep. And you can probably get a visa agent to do the extension for you for a fee.

Edited by Mapguy

Thanks guys...I dont live in Singapore and keep moving around every day for work and that makes it hard to get the vias before I arive back...was hoping to pay and get the hassle done up while I am in Thailand.

Will have to hop and stay at a place for a few days before i come back :-) Thanks again !

worth bearing in mind, especially if you are busy, that at best you need two days to get a tourist visa i.e application in the morning, pick up visa following afternoon.

in some countries the turnaround is much longer.

60 days (plus 30 at immigration) widely available, if you need a double best bet is Laos.

Singapore is regarded as the least 'user friendly' consulate

as per rtd really good info in the visa sub forum

wherever you obtain the visa from it will be a lot less hassle than the extension at CM immigration!

Thanks Greenwich Boy...

Have you done the Laos run before Vientianne or Luang Prabang has it easy like you said...will explore the visa sub forum

Lawrence,

have not made the trip to Vientiane yet but need to do so later in the year so have done some homework.

there are a couple of very good blow by blow accounts in the visa forum but naturally I now can not find them.

the cheapest travel option from CM is to fly Nok Air to Udon Thani, bus from the airport for 200B to the bridge then local transport in to Vientiane.

there are a couple of potential slip hazards to be aware of. the Laos visa on arrival is 35 or 36 US depending on their mood, day of the week etc so have the extra single or 1500B.

the consulate and the embassy are not in the same place, check which one issues the visas - there is a map on the forum somewhere!

If you happen to track down any useful threads please pass them on

the early flight to Udon from CM may not get you there in time for your visa application, you may need 2 nights.

finally as our food critic the recommendation I am told in Vientiane is Via Via and a couple of cold Leffes to wash it down

Thanks Greenwich Boy...

Have you done the Laos run before Vientianne or Luang Prabang has it easy like you said...will explore the visa sub forum

Laos is very easy, and I've been stuck overnight in a lot worse places than Vientiane. You should also be able to get a double there and have a relatively straightforward next 6 months. You might also consider taking a quick trip to Bali, where I believe they're doing triples.

From CM I'd recommend a Nok Air return to Udon, and taxis to/from Udon & Vientiane.

Thanks guys...I dont live in Singapore and keep moving around every day for work and that makes it hard to get the vias before I arive back...was hoping to pay and get the hassle done up while I am in Thailand.

Will have to hop and stay at a place for a few days before i come back :-) Thanks again !

Hopping along one step ahead of the law, Lawrence ?! biggrin.png

Thanks Greenwich Boy...

Lawrence,

have not made the trip to Vientiane yet but need to do so later in the year so have done some homework.

there are a couple of very good blow by blow accounts in the visa forum but naturally I now can not find them.

the cheapest travel option from CM is to fly Nok Air to Udon Thani, bus from the airport for 200B to the bridge then local transport in to Vientiane.

there are a couple of potential slip hazards to be aware of. the Laos visa on arrival is 35 or 36 US depending on their mood, day of the week etc so have the extra single or 1500B.

the consulate and the embassy are not in the same place, check which one issues the visas - there is a map on the forum somewhere!

If you happen to track down any useful threads please pass them on

the early flight to Udon from CM may not get you there in time for your visa application, you may need 2 nights.

finally as our food critic the recommendation I am told in Vientiane is Via Via and a couple of cold Leffes to wash it down

Lawrence,

Notice the cost. Always pay US$ in Laos !!! Otherwise, you'll end up (in THB) handing them more than 40% more!

Have sent you a PM with name and phone numbers of the visa company in CM that many of us use for our visa requirements.

Could you send that to me as well please.

Thanks in anticipation.

If this involves them sending your passport abroad for a visa and then adding a fake entry stamp then I strongly suggest you take a different route.

Thanks guys for looking out for your local food critic ;-) Been to Vietianne a few times on business before and know the area well. Mario gave some great info the thread abt the run of getting a double and that is what I will go for and will report back...looks like a breeze, day in and day out.

Will fly from BBK as Thai Airway has a special now..only 6000 baht return plus and I have to be in BKK for a few days so it works well./

Greenwich - Do a search on the visa forum for visas in the local region and there are 2 threads on Vientianne...the info there is 2013 current / I googled Thai Embassy Laos and from the webpage able to download the map / next to the Singapore- Laos School.

Be back May 15th and looking forward to looking for new places to eat....this time I am focusing on the area of Maerim...dont ask why ! :-) so look out for that.

Decided to sink roots and try for a 6 month stay and enjoy the rainy season and the mozzies..just haev to try everything,smog done, burning done, Songkran, Loy Kratong and rainy season not yet....

Have sent you a PM with name and phone numbers of the visa company in CM that many of us use for our visa requirements.

Could you send that to me as well please.

Thanks in anticipation.

If this involves them sending your passport abroad for a visa and then adding a fake entry stamp then I strongly suggest you take a different route.

The company that many farangs use in CM is a very reputable outfit. They may pad some pockets at immigration because they are able to get you in and out of immigration within 10 minutes. Where on our own we wait for hours.

• Like 2

Thanks markettrader for that contact...spoke to them and they cant do this 90 day visa as you have to be out of the country...I will however use them for the extension..many things one can do for the day :-) like eat ! than wait out at a immigration office...appreciate the contact !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks markettrader for that contact...spoke to them and they cant do this 90 day visa as you have to be out of the country...I will however use them for the extension..many things one can do for the day :-) like eat ! than wait out at a immigration office...appreciate the contact !

Time to prepare yourself for marriage visa. Extend every year at Chiang Mai immigration office.

Glad you staying CM for longer instead of you usual 2 months.

No longer "Up in the Air"... 5555

• Like 1

Just to clarify -- tourist visas are applied for outside Thailand. It is possible to enter visa exempt and go to CM Immigration to obtain a 90-day O visa for the purpose of retirement -- but you have to be over age 50 and meet the financial requirements. If using a the money in a Thai bank method, the money doesn't have to be aged for that initial visa application, but it will have to be aged to obtain a 12-month retirement extension to that 90 day visa issued in CM

Yes, I know the OP doesn't meet the requirements for a retirement extension, but I thought it best to clarify that it is POSSIBLE to get a visa issued in CM, just not the type of visa the OP needs.

Thanks NancyL for that info ..the retirement one does not work for me for now...will head to Vietianne this time and time to prepare for the marriage one next year...yes on the ground now and taking my last 2 flights tomorrow to head back to CM from Korea...will be a while...I will miss rationing the movies on demand and selecting between chicken & beef :-)