Question Re: The Russian Invasion

patsfangr

I don't consider myself a guest in Thailand. Do you?

yes Tropo! i even feel like an honoured guest in Thailand. i don't pay for
anything, each and everything is free. and at the end of the year
there's a bundle of cash left for reinvestment over and above my
expenditure for a very comfortable life style. all because Thailand
doesn't levy income tax on Farang guests like me.

any additional questions? e.g. am i covered for the cost of

potential flax seed oil purchases in Villa Market? the answer is yes.

• Like 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! You are a lucky guy.

But...... how can you have expenditure if you don`t pay for anything? cheesy.gif

That's great. You consider yourself a guest. I consider myself a resident. Let's leave it at that.

That's great. You consider yourself a guest. I consider myself a resident. Let's leave it at that.

You should consider yourself a "guest resident" or a "resident guest" or a "temporary guest resident" or a "temporary resident guest" or ???? ....... Because without question, you are a "guest" within the normal meaning of that word. Just wait and see how long you remain a "resident" when you don't have the required B800,000 in a bank account in Thailand for your permitted "extension of stay".

But...... how can you have expenditure if you don`t pay for anything? cheesy.gif

for people (like you) who either can't read or who never paid any income tax this will remain a secret whistling.gif

I consider myself a crasher. Barely tolerated at best. Nobody invited me and I have to show up at the police every 90 days. Some guest! Though perhaps I do smell like fish!

I actually think guest is a LOADED word and it resonates very differently with different people from different cultures. I am definitely one that finds its use annoying when applied to expats in Thailand. That said, it isn't wrong per se based one of the definitions of guest. It just grates (me and others I reckon). It suggests to me an overly TOADY attitude towards the Thai overseers of our permissions to stay. So I won't use it.

rather annoying i find the eternal whining "they barely tolerate us... they don't want us... they just want our money... they keep on moving the goal posts... oh that xenophobia... their fake smiles... their racist double pricing..."

bah.gif

I consider myself a crasher. Barely tolerated at best. Nobody invited me and I have to show up at the police every 90 days. Some guest! Though perhaps I do smell like fish!

I actually think guest is a LOADED word and it resonates very differently with different people from different cultures. I am definitely one that finds its use annoying when applied to expats in Thailand. That said, it isn't wrong per se based one of the definitions of guest. It just grates (me and others I reckon). It suggests to me an overly TOADY attitude towards the Thai overseers of our permissions to stay. So I won't use it.

rather annoying i find the eternal whining "they barely tolerate us... they don't want us... they just want our money... they keep on moving the goal posts... oh that xenophobia... their fake smiles... their racist double pricing..."

bah.gif

Many different things are annoying in this world ... and your point is?

bah.gif

Many different things are annoying in this world ... and your point is?

your reasoning concerning "guest" is annoying and my point.

note to myself: another American who does not understand simple English dry.png

• Like 1

I'm going to ignore that bait.

post-37101-0-05405100-1367854465.gif

But here is a POLL!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/637654-poll-foreigners-in-thailand-when-youre-here-do-you-consider-yourself-a-guest-of-thailand/

Edited by Jingthing

You should consider yourself a "guest resident" or a "resident guest" or a "temporary guest resident" or a "temporary resident guest" or ???? ....... Because without question, you are a "guest" within the normal meaning of that word. Just wait and see how long you remain a "resident" when you don't have the required B800,000 in a bank account in Thailand for your permitted "extension of stay".

Please give it a break. You can call yourself anything you like but I'm a resident for the time I stay here. If I leave, then I'm an ex-resident. I never planned to stay here forever anyway so if I have to leave, so be it.

There's temporary residents, and there's permanent residents. Whatever type you are, you're still a resident if you're not a tourist. I've always considered myself to be a temporary resident - which has gone on longer than I originally anticipated.

Edited by tropo

Give it a break Worf! I reckon it would be difficult to post 10,000+ times on this forum and not annoy quite a few people.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Does the extension-of-stay stamp in your passport say "residency visa"? If not, guess what.

Does the extension-of-stay stamp in your passport say "residency visa"? If not, guess what.

You guys never quit...

It's quite simple. I've been living here for over 7 years straight... all technicalities aside, that makes me a resident....

Now please give it a rest. If you think you're a guest, that's fine by me.

• Like 1

Give it a break Worf! I reckon it would be difficult to post 10,000+ times on this forum and not annoy quite a few people.biggrin.png

be lenient Tropo! whenever i forget to take my daily tablespoon of flaxseed oil i tend to annoy people over and above my regular annoyance quota.

laugh.png

Back on topic...

I'm just moving from Cosy Beach to Khao Talo mainly because it feels like a Russian enclave there now. The few remaining Brit outposts - such as Richard's Wishing Well, or Alan's Tavern - are virtually deserted except for the occasional, and often obnoxious, Russian that wanders in, probably by mistake. And probably the last half a dozen or so Brit expats in the whole of CB, who wander in occasionally to commiserate with each other about how much the place has changed for the worse.

The likes of the fruit vendors have far higher prices than elsewhere, because the Russians haven't a clue.

It's turned into the Thai equivalent of the Spanish Costa Notalottas overrun by British drunks back in the 80s. Russians stocking up on Chang in the 7-11, then drinking in the street or on the beach.

The atmosphere is terrible. Unless you're Russian I suppose.

It's not as if I use the beach there anyway, with all the shit floating in the sea there. Off season last September there was a metre thick deposit of everything you can imagine along the high tide line.

(Jingthing, never noticed any homophobic behaviour from the Russians, btw, in CB)...

Khao Talo here I come.

for people (like you) who either can't read or who never paid any income tax this will remain a secret whistling.gif

No need to get nasty english is not my first language, but I guess you are just your normal arrogant self.

I don't understand what my income tax has to do with understanding your posts, but I probably pay much more than you do. As I presume you live in Thailand and I have a high income in one of the most heavily taxed countries in the world.

I still think you are a lucky guy getting everything for free. Are you a guest of the King or the Government?

bah.gif

Who do you think cares what you find annoying? huh.png

Ok, I will bite. I do consider myself a guest. That is to say, I move around from province to province, though I do have a few places I stay at for extended periods. I also leave Thailand regularly, spending maybe only half a year in the Kingdom in total. Thus, definitely a guest. However, I would consider myself a guest even if I stayed in one place, married, and opened a bar. The reason being is that Thailand is not a country which encourages foreigners to settle. What ever happens I realise that it is possible (though not likely) that I could be evicted at any time. Add to that the language, and foreigners will always be guests.

Back on topic... I'm just moving from Cosy Beach to Khao Talo mainly because it feels like a Russian enclave there now. The few remaining Brit outposts - such as Richard's Wishing Well, or Alan's Tavern - are virtually deserted except for the occasional, and often obnoxious, Russian that wanders in, probably by mistake. And probably the last half a dozen or so Brit expats in the whole of CB, who wander in occasionally to commiserate with each other about how much the place has changed for the worse. The likes of the fruit vendors have far higher prices than elsewhere, because the Russians haven't a clue. It's turned into the Thai equivalent of the Spanish Costa Notalottas overrun by British drunks back in the 80s. Russians stocking up on Chang in the 7-11, then drinking in the street or on the beach. The atmosphere is terrible. Unless you're Russian I suppose. It's not as if I use the beach there anyway, with all the shit floating in the sea there. Off season last September there was a metre thick deposit of everything you can imagine along the high tide line. (Jingthing, never noticed any homophobic behaviour from the Russians, btw, in CB)... Khao Talo here I come.

See you later. I've been down to the beach many times over the last month and it was clean on every occasion.

See you later. I've been down to the beach many times over the last month and it was clean on every occasion.

There's a permanent stream of sewer water running out from opposite the Wishing Well down the hill towards the sea. And because they sometimes clear up the high tide line when all the shit gets washed in doesn't mean it isn't still floating in the water out there.

I've seen it, I'm not exaggerating when I say a metre thick along the high water line, I wouldn't swim in that water if you paid me.

The smell from the water running past the beach massage at the bottom of the steps is enough to put you off, surely, Tropo!

The Russians seem oblivious to it, though...

bah.gif

Who do you think cares what you find annoying? huh.png

i do tongue.png

There's a permanent stream of sewer water running out from opposite the Wishing Well down the hill towards the sea. And because they sometimes clear up the high tide line when all the shit gets washed in doesn't mean it isn't still floating in the water out there.

I've seen it, I'm not exaggerating when I say a metre thick along the high water line, I wouldn't swim in that water if you paid me.

The smell from the water running past the beach massage at the bottom of the steps is enough to put you off, surely, Tropo!

The Russians seem oblivious to it, though...

I swim there. I don't see shit and it doesn't stink...on the times I've been there. If it did, I wouldn't swim.

'Shit' in Brit English means general junk and rubbish.... though I have spotted an rare turd. Bend down and smell the 'water' running past the beach massage. Especially after a storm when all the drains overflow - then you don't even have to bother to bend down.

I won't even let my daughter paddle in the sea there. Ko Larn is ok, but Pattaya/CB/Jomtien? No thanks.

Again.... where do you think the 'grey' water (sewage overflow) running down the main road shortly before the cliff, goes?

'Shit' in Brit English means general junk and rubbish.... though I have spotted an rare turd. Bend down and smell the 'water' running past the beach massage. Especially after a storm when all the drains overflow - then you don't even have to bother to bend down. I won't even let my daughter paddle in the sea there. Ko Larn is ok, but Pattaya/CB/Jomtien? No thanks. Again.... where do you think the 'grey' water (sewage overflow) running down the main road shortly before the cliff, goes?

The water is clean enough to swim in on a regular day. I don't go to the beach after a storm. As I said, on the days I've gone down there it's been clean. I didn't smell anything bad. I don't go there everyday, so perhaps there was some shit on the days I didn't go.

If you prefer to live on Soi Kao Talo, then that's your choice, but I reckon you're being a tad over dramatic. All the beaches have roughly the same water. Trash wise, Cosy Beach is the cleanest one I've come across along this strip.

I think the truth is that you just don't like Russians and you're using the beach as another excuse.

If I had a choice of a location overrun by Brits or one overrun by Russians, I'd take the later. Brits are a bit hard to take when they get too thick. Each to their own.

For sure, if you dislike Russians then Cosy Beach is not your kinda place. It must be over 90% Russian.

The 'truth' is you don't know the first thing about me, so don't tell me who or what I like or dislike.

FYI I like more genuinely Thai areas with prices that aren't inflated for the Russians, with real markets, and if there is an expat community, more of a cosmopolitan one - such as Khao Talo. I also prefer to live in areas that aren't flooded with tourists (of whatever origin) - such as Khao Talo. It is friendlier for a start.

Ever eaten in the Wishing Well? Storm or not, watch the sewage water running down the road all year round.

Food stalls? Ask a Thai person how good they are in CB. Or the restaurants come to that. As usual when most of the customers are tourists, and one-off visitors who haven't a clue such as the Siberian oil field workers, standards drop and prices go up, for their captive market.

The 'truth' is you don't know the first thing about me, so don't tell me who or what I like or dislike.

Of course I don't. Nobody does. We make guesses based on what people post.

I'm obviously going to defend the area because I really like it, just as you're going to trash it as you hate it so much you're going to move away.

I don't eat at the restaurants and I don't drink in a pub, so those concerns are no concerns of mine. There's 100's of restaurants and bars within a few kilometers so what's the big deal? Do you need to live next door to your favourite restaurant or bar?

Re food stalls - there are many to choose from. The ones we use equal the best of any we've come across in any area. We use one for freshly cut fruit, one for barbecue and one for pancakes - all exceptional. I don't need to ask Thai people - the barbecue cart is so busy with Thais it's hard to get an order in at any time. The prices are the same as food stalls anywhere. 10 - 15 baht per stick.