Toyota Yaris

KanomPang

After trawling around nearly every garage over the past month within a 5 km radius of CM with my girlfriend looking for a cheap little car to buy I would just like to report on what I think is a good deal to be had at the moment...

Firstly I read with many posts about the most friendliest garages and made special efforts to check those places out first (with mixed responses), most of the Honda dealers think they're doing you a favour selling you a car! When you can get one of the hi-so girls that adorn their showrooms to stop playing on their iPhone 5 or iPad when you utter that you are looking at a Brio (circa 430k) they lose interest faster in you than a Bangkok hooker when she sees you've just blown your last 1,000bt bill (only joking about that bit) but you get the idea. Mazda were pretty good but hats off to Toyota, the two branches that went that extra mile were the one next to Honda Big Wing close to Tha Phae Gate and where we've actually bought the car from is the massive dealer close to the Robinson on the right hand side as you go from the city.

Because a new Yaris is coming out in 3 months they seem to be trying to shift the old shape, the list price of the base model is 555,000bt which they are willing to knock 30k of straight away OR recover seat in leather, fit body kit, side cill strips, exhaust cover, car cover, mats, boot tray, 1 yrs insurance, window film the list goes on, but they're keen as mustard!

The sales woman was on top of her game (she knew how to sell and wanted to sell... now!). When we first went in their was a farang having a great argument with the reception desk about shoddy service etc... and gave me a look so not sure if things go down hill after you buy but hey praise where praise is due, top marks for a garage that actually treated you like they wanted your money... well done!

post-176935-0-47786000-1367422583_thumb.

• Like 1

I drove the new one; very nice car indeed. Doesn't really feel like a small car at all.

Without being too trainspotterish about it with a 1.5 twin cam 16v in a car that weighs bearly a 1000kg I hope it has a bit of pep as well

: )

• Like 1

Great gas economy and a fun car to drive but if you are on rough roads you will be wishing for better suspension. I bought one of the original 2 door automatics new, 2007 I think. Had to get the roof repainted after two years. Tropical sun ate through the clear coat. Toyota warranty would not cover it, claimed it was chemical damage/overspray. The starter failed one month after warranty expired very pricey to replace.

At that point I was done. Sold it to a uni chick with a bright future in the field of childhood special education for the developmentally disabled. About 75 percent of purchase price. The car was jinxed. The girl soon decides to quit school to marry a American sailor. Now she is a chubby baby mama on living on a Navy base in Japan with no college degree.

• Like 1

I baught a year old one 10 years back. It has a smaller engine. I towed a small 14ft ally dinghy quite often. I still have it - has just clocked over 475k and all I have done is replace the coil thingy and rear wheel bearings. In the last month though she has only been runnuing on two cylinders once she has warmed up. My son thinks this is most likely the CDI but a new part is worth more than the car. I hated this car when I bought it. But it has been the cheapest most reliable car I have ever owned.

I bought a Yaris 1.5 Sportivo from new around 5 years ago. Done 50,000 trouble free kms in it all over Thailand. The only thing that needed replacing was the battery. Even still on the original set of tyres and pads/discs! Anything else that broke was inflicted by me. Still drives and feels like a new car, unlike some rental cars I have rented over the years with apparently the same mileage.

Do yourself a favour as well, put it in your name if you are paying for it.....I didn't! wink.png

• Like 1

The Yaris is the most expensive car to fix after a low speed collision according to an Australian motoring association test.

“Even travelling at only 10 km/h, we found many of the cars had poor-performing bumper design which resulted in high collision repair costs," NRMA's Robert McDonald said.

Holden's Barina bested the field, with a front and rear bumper repair cost coming in at a combined total of $2574 - 14.3 percent of the car's RRP when new.

Behind the Barina is the Nissan Micra ST-L. The combined repair cost of $6056 represents 35.6 percent, rather more than double that of the Barina.

At the other end of the scale, the Toyota Yaris cost a substantial $13,440 to repair, or a tick under 71 percent of its purchase price.

“Even travelling at only 10 km/h, we found many of the cars had poor-performing bumper design which resulted in high collision repair costs," NRMA's Robert McDonald said.

The Honda Jazz wasn't far behind, with a greater dollar cost of $13,754 - 69.5 percent of the RRP

• Like 1

I owned a Yaris in the usa and came here and bought one second hand from Toyota Sure. They have lots of good looking Yaris' right now on the lot. Probably a bit more expensive than from a tent - but I think they don't sell junk.

The Yaris is the most expensive car to fix after a low speed collision according to an Australian motoring association test.

Holden's Barina bested the field, with a front and rear bumper repair cost coming in at a combined total of $2574 - 14.3 percent of the car's RRP when new.

Behind the Barina is the Nissan Micra ST-L. The combined repair cost of $6056 represents 35.6 percent, rather more than double that of the Barina.

At the other end of the scale, the Toyota Yaris cost a substantial $13,440 to repair, or a tick under 71 percent of its purchase price.

The Honda Jazz wasn't far behind, with a greater dollar cost of $13,754 - 69.5 percent of the RRP

There is no comparison regarding repair costs in Australia and repair costs in Thailand.

Mine was shunted front and rear, with mild damage. It has had doors resprayed, window screens replaced....it was almost not worth claiming on the insurance in lots of instances.

You ever had a car repaired here? One word (in comparison to Australia/UK etc)......CHEAP!

I ran into the back of a pickup truck whilsyt in my Yaris some months back. It was well over 10k when I hit him. I just bounced off. A nasty dent where his tow bar hit my bumper. luckily the bar did not go through the rediator and the airbags did not go off. Damage was not worth the effort fixing.

I backed into a Yaris once with my truck.. It did need some repairs (not expensive), but my truck didn't even have a scratch.. There is an argument to be made for pick up trucks in this country.. They do cost the same as a Yaris. A lot less refined, sure, but you get more 'vehicle' for the same money..

There is no comparison regarding repair costs in Australia and repair costs in Thailand.

Mine was shunted front and rear, with mild damage. It has had doors resprayed, window screens replaced....it was almost not worth claiming on the insurance in lots of instances.

You ever had a car repaired here? One word (in comparison to Australia/UK etc)......CHEAP!

The point is that no matter where you have your Yaris repaired - Sydney, New York or Chiang Mai it is going to cost more than other cars. Poorly performing bumpers design which allowed the vehicle to slide under other bumpers resulted in higher repair costs, according to the report.

I, not so long ago, nudged a Yaris with my solid european car and split the bumper. The 5000 baht it cost me to repair the bumper did not seem so '.....cheap'. My vehicle was unscathed.

Most people agree this is a very reliable car and cheap to run. Crash repair costs should not really be in the equation because they should be covered by insurance. If you don't have insurance then I think you shouldn't have any car on the road. The most important test is safety. I think the Yaris does OK for a small car. One reason it costs a lot to repair is that it crumples easily - the way it is designed to do to save you from injury.

http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/2012/Toyota/Yaris/YR-NCP130R-2D-Hatch-5sp-man-1_3L-4cyl-Petrol/

• Like 2