Reason To Use Linux

jameshkumar

I have used Linux for many years on all my computers in my business. It just works, and free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

more important than it being free (as in beer) is freedom (as in speech). you have total control over every aspect of your operating system and applications (to some extent dependent on which distro you choose). all source code is available for your inspection, so depending on your level of experience you can determine exactly what your computer is doing at all times, and there are 100s of thousands (more likely millions) of people all over the world who are constantly examining every line of code in every application to make sure there is nothing malicious going on without your knowledge. how do you know what microsoft (or apple, or oracle, or any other proprietary system) are doing with the information about the things you do with your computer? you cannot, it is impossible. THAT, my friend, is the most important reason to choose FOSS over anything you can buy on the market.

Edited by dharmabm

Canonical not conical. But valid point, even if a double edged one.

Personally I dislike the 1 os for all philosophy that MS apple and canonical are pushing...different devices have different needs.

But I digress...

Linux is free. It is reliable. It is secure. It is used on a majority of the worlds hardware that you could be unaware of (web, phones, routers etc). It is customisable. It is more efficient than MS and can make old hardware run well again. It makes new hardware outstanding. Few viruses (nothing can claim none, no matter what any apple fan claims!). Full sets of equivalent software for free. Plus penguins taste better than apples.

• Like 1

I have been giving Windows 7 an honest try for the last 4 months as a linux user and

while the UI is nice and handy, I cannot believe how annoying it can be.

Linux has no malware or adware to bring the system to a crawl despite 4GB ram.

That is why I would choose linux.

Yet another reason to use linux.

I am using Lubuntu 13.04, and editing stuff for a friend

(just to improve the English language usage) in another country.

He wants to use dropbox.com, to share files etc.

I install dropbox for linux - the f**king thing wants to take over my comp. change the screensaver etc.

Fawk you windoze app!

But all my files are backed up, let's be diplomatic

I just insert the usb loaded with Lub 13.04.

Instruct it to format my ssd,

Then reinstall linux.

Easy - peasy. In 30 min my comp. is fresh as a daisy.

Future document edits - well, linux can handle .pdf files and .doc files sent from anywhere

(using abiword program, amongst others).

Thus linux has solutions for document manipulation AND cross O/S (windoze/Maclinux) sharing.

Don't be afraid, test the water using zorin - looks like 'doze.

Later, enjoy an Ubuntu derivative Lubuntu and Xubuntu highly recommended.

Enough ranting for today, AA

Yet another reason to use linux.

I am using Lubuntu 13.04, and editing stuff for a friend

(just to improve the English language usage) in another country.

He wants to use dropbox.com, to share files etc.

I install dropbox for linux - the f**king thing wants to take over my comp. change the screensaver etc.

Fawk you windoze app!

But all my files are backed up, let's be diplomatic

I just insert the usb loaded with Lub 13.04.

Instruct it to format my ssd,

Then reinstall linux.

Easy - peasy. In 30 min my comp. is fresh as a daisy.

Future document edits - well, linux can handle .pdf files and .doc files sent from anywhere

(using abiword program, amongst others).

Thus linux has solutions for document manipulation AND cross O/S (windoze/Maclinux) sharing.

Don't be afraid, test the water using zorin - looks like 'doze.

Later, enjoy an Ubuntu derivative Lubuntu and Xubuntu highly recommended.

Enough ranting for today, AA

This post courtesy of Singha beer tongue.png

• Like 1

+1 on on the point about total control. You can get into every nook and cranny and tweak it to work exactly the way you want and then you can just forget it. It will continue to just work basically until your hardware dies. No reboots required. All configuration is done by editing simple text files. You never have to reboot after making changes either. Unless it's a kernel update.

With Winbloz there are a lot of things you cannot do or M$ does not want you doing. If you are lucky, you can find out about an undocumented registry tweak to fix something or make it work the way you want.....if your lucky. I also hate having to reboot after simple updates or installing 3rd party software too. Not always but you still have to do that quite often.

Edited by lapd