Stamps From Thai Immigration On Thai Passports

Hello all,

Stupid and easy question: Do Thai citizens who enter or leave Thailand with ther Thai passport also get stamps in their Thai passport?

I am asking, because I am a Thai/EU citizen and I never used my Thai passport so far. I need the stamp as proof that I stayed in Thailand for x amount of time and I figured a stamp would be the easiest solution. Since I will be staying longer than 30 days, I will be using my Thai passport.

Also, will there be any issue if I don't have a Thai ID/household registry yet? The field "Personal No." is still empty in my Thai passport.

I have been searching on this forum and google for an answer, but I couldn't find an anything. :( Thanks for your help!

Best

Michael

Yes, they do get stamped in and out.

I suspect that if you want to register in a hotel or such, want to open a bankaccount etc you will have problems as you don't have a Thai ID-number. That number should be on your passport.

When you register at a household registration you can also apply for a Thai ID-card and will get the number with the household registration. If under 30 you will need to register for the draft.

Given that the UK at any rate does not stamp out Thais upon their departure from the country, the stamp they receive in their passports upon re-entering Thailand is, I suspect, the only tangible evidence of their not having overstayed in the UK.

Thank for your replies guys! I am looking forward to getting my first stamps in my Thai passport!

I suspect that if you want to register in a hotel or such, want to open a bankaccount etc you will have problems as you don't have a Thai ID-number. That number should be on your passport.

When you register at a household registration you can also apply for a Thai ID-card and will get the number with the household registration. If under 30 you will need to register for the draft.

Well, that's a bummer! I knew that a household registration was necessary when opening a bank acccount or renewing a Thai passport in Thailand. But I didn't know that the hotels might give me some trouble, too. Does anyone have experience with this? I suspect that hotels don't like it either if I show them my EU passport with no Thai entry stamps in it.

As I am under 30 years, I decided to wait so that I can avoid the draft like samran. I might as well not return to Thailand until then. laugh.png

when you arrive in Thailand you'll have a choice of using the automatic gates where no stamps are given or the normal passport desk in the Thai nationals queue, in which case you'll get a stamp. This is for on the way out too. So you have a choice.

As for opening bank accounts, a Thai passport will suffice, just say you don't have an ID number yet if they even ask.

Thanks samran! I am not actually worried about bank accounts as I don't really need one (yet).

But what about hotels as Mario mentioned? Will I get in trouble if I don't have a Thai ID number? I never thought that this could be an issue.

Nothing illegal, but it will crate problems in the sense that hotels will not know how to deal with the situation. (Just tell them to enter the passport number).

For banks and employment it is more problematic, as your ID number is also your tax number.

Thanks both samran and Mario! I don't really need a bank account nor do I want to work in Thailand in the near future. I will give it a try next time I go to Thailand. Hopefully I won't have to sleep on the streets of Bangkok. laugh.png

Thanks both samran and Mario! I don't really need a bank account nor do I want to work in Thailand in the near future. I will give it a try next time I go to Thailand. Hopefully I won't have to sleep on the streets of Bangkok. laugh.png

What a ridiculous statement. I am not Thai yet I only use my local driver's license for check-in at hotels in ALL cases no matter whether they ask for a passport at the beginning or not. All hotels care about is registering their guests with some kind of ID; they won't look at the details and in many cases won't be able to decifer the details anyway (especially in the case of foreign passports that of course won't feature any Thai).

You are making a big deal out of nothing.

What a ridiculous statement. I am not Thai yet I only use my local driver's license for check-in at hotels in ALL cases no matter whether they ask for a passport at the beginning or not. All hotels care about is registering their guests with some kind of ID; they won't look at the details and in many cases won't be able to decifer the details anyway (especially in the case of foreign passports that of course won't feature any Thai).

You are making a big deal out of nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Michael S, on 03 May 2013 - 11:26, said:

...Well, that's a bummer! I knew that a household registration was necessary when opening a bank acccount or renewing a Thai passport in Thailand. But I didn't know that the hotels might give me some trouble, too. Does anyone have experience with this? I suspect that hotels don't like it either if I show them my EU passport with no Thai entry stamps in it.

As I am under 30 years, I decided to wait so that I can avoid the draft like samran. I might as well not return to Thailand until then. laugh.png

It is normal for a Thai national born and living outside Thailand not to be on a Thai house registration book and not to have a Thai ID card, and he can get his Thai passport without these two documents from the Thai embassy in his country of residence. This passport with the Thai arrival stamp, in which the space for the ID number will obviously be blank, is perfectly valid for identification at a hotel and all other occasions where identification is necessary.

Hotel must report only non-Thai arrivals to immigration. For Thai guests, the hotels can do as they please, I believe, even not ask for any identification at all, but they may want to make a copy of the credit card.

Not sure about Thai guests not having to register. Hotels always want to see my wife's ID-card and sometimes mine too. Most prefer to register the room under my wife, as that is less paperwork. But details of my wife's ID-card are always taken.