Phuket Officials Pose As Tourists To Nab Russian Wake Park Owner

webfact

cross one very cool thing to do in phuket off the list.

It is a shame too, because these wakeparks encourage home grown talent, and this one was well set up and competently, unlike the sewer in pattaya.

places like thai wake park, black mountain and phuket wake park are far to0 few on the ground in thailand.

Edited by candypants

So while many of you are crying over the stupidy of the thai´s and the need to have companies sthat can take care

of these russians that cannot speak anyting else than their own motherlanguage, I am at least thinking what many of us should be thinking.

I think that Thailand is spot on with their rules and laws what concern the immigration of foreigners to Thailand, and who wish to settle here. I personally would love the european countries and in particular Sweden should have the exactly same politic. It is clean, clear quite understandible laws that protects the citizens of Thailand....

So what´s new really??? Big problem to shut down all these illegal russian companies???? I think it is great, we all should adhere to the rules, and these tondeath russians should learn to speak english like everyone else BEFORE they leave their own country..

Glegolo

or learn Thai before they come here?

"Why would any Russian build ANY business here if they can't employ staff that can COMMUNICATE with customers. It's a ridiculous situation"

No one is trying to stop them from operating a business, all that is being asked is that they do it legally by obtaining work permits, why is that so hard for people here to understand

Lets see, is it because for each work permit you have to employ 4 thais who like to sit around doing as little as possible ? Then of course the work permit conditions are so rigid that technically most holders break the conditions.

Oh and the illegal employees are providing tea money for certain people to become temporarily blind, so who says they do not contribute to the local economy ?

God forbid foreigner companies be allowed to operate on a level playing field.

Maybe I'm wrong and all the Thaivisa business owners will post saying how wrong it is to employ illegal foreign workers, What about a crackdown on all those Thai business owners too, those who illegally employ Cambodians or Burmese...like they are not taking jobs away from thais.

If Thailand really wanted to serve its people it would fine the employers 50000 baht for every illegal worker as they would be in the UK, that would solve the problem overnight.... But this is not about illegal workers, its about a few lazy rip off artists that call themselves a Taxi Drivers Association complaining that anyone dare offer a better service at a reasonable price.

Culling of competition and they will seize the park and continue to earn without the cost of the asset. All premeditated and standard business practice.

In addition I would have to say, (having two companies here myself) it is easy enough to be complaint with law, thus breaking rules and regs is not really sensible.

• Like 1

It is too late to do anything. The Russian Mafia owns Pattaya as they have paid the police for too many years. It is the same now in Goa India. All India has done is now only gives foreigners 3 months visas and they cannot return for two months. Can't run their businesses or get their money out.

Amazing Thailand!

What's amazing about arresting illegals all countries do it?
Targetted xenaphobic attitudes, perpetuated by the media & a soft target (arguably)

I have nothing against the cleaining up of detritus, but make it across the board

I think that is what they are trying to do but, they have to start somewhere. They have been arresting westerners since I have been here (33years) for working without visa/wp so now your whinging because its the turn of the Russians?

A great way to encourage foreign investment on the island. smile.pngsmile.png

The article doesn't mention all the other Thai's that are either directly, or indirectly, employed by these businesses.

So? No excuse for working illegally, he could have easily set up a company and get the required permits.

Let me guess, the illegal workers were working in an occupation reserved for Thai's only. Probably on the front enterance ticket booth, selling enterance tickets and explaining to Russian tourist what the price is, and what they get for that money.

A business like this contributes to the growth of the local economy.

No point building a business and marketing to your fellow countymen tourists, if you are only allowed to employ staff that can't speak their language, Russian, and making an unpleasant experience for the customers.

They are really just not getting the theory behind what TAT is trying to do with these emerging economies.

To be fair to you, stevenl, I one person has to get a work permit, everyone should have to get a work permit, or face the consequences. Trouble is, the language barrier in this case.

Thai's can't speak Russian - Russians can't speak Thai.

The TAT want, in fact now NEED, Rusians on Phuket, but laws will not allow the employment of Russians to communicate with them and sell tickets/tours/products etc - all of which directly, or indirectly, employ other Thai's.

They can apply for a work visa. it's that simple.

• Like 2

"Why would any Russian build ANY business here if they can't employ staff that can COMMUNICATE with customers. It's a ridiculous situation"

No one is trying to stop them from operating a business, all that is being asked is that they do it legally by obtaining work permits, why is that so hard for people here to understand

Lets see, is it because for each work permit you have to employ 4 thais who like to sit around doing as little as possible ? Then of course the work permit conditions are so rigid that technically most holders break the conditions.

Oh and the illegal employees are providing tea money for certain people to become temporarily blind, so who says they do not contribute to the local economy ?

God forbid foreigner companies be allowed to operate on a level playing field.

Maybe I'm wrong and all the Thaivisa business owners will post saying how wrong it is to employ illegal foreign workers, What about a crackdown on all those Thai business owners too, those who illegally employ Cambodians or Burmese...like they are not taking jobs away from thais.

If Thailand really wanted to serve its people it would fine the employers 50000 baht for every illegal worker as they would be in the UK, that would solve the problem overnight.... But this is not about illegal workers, its about a few lazy rip off artists that call themselves a Taxi Drivers Association complaining that anyone dare offer a better service at a reasonable price.

Shouldn't it be up to the Thai's who they crack down on...they own the place! I could imagine the outcry in the UK if Eastern Europeans did the same amount of whinging as many westerners do here!

Culling of competition and they will seize the park and continue to earn without the cost of the asset. All premeditated and standard business practice.

Exceedingly foolish to set up a business illegally in the first place. I wouldn't have any sympathy for Russians who operated illegally in my own country so I can't feel sorry for them here either.

good money to be made by the BIB, or i guess they forgot to pay their montly, euh..Extra tea money to sweaten their deal ...as how long were they able to operate in the first place ?

Amazing Thailand!

What's amazing about arresting illegals all countries do it?

EXCEPT the USA who rewards them with free food ,money and medical so they can build up their voting base with all the now legal children they are spitting out wholesale. The US is killing their own citizens children to support and enable a bunch of orphans who were not invited.

Another fine example of Thai police investigative procedures.

[/q

Is it so terrible that the Thai police are sticking to the laws of the Country?

No, not terrible, just highly unusual

A great way to encourage foreign investment on the island. smile.pngsmile.png

The article doesn't mention all the other Thai's that are either directly, or indirectly, employed by these businesses.

So? No excuse for working illegally, he could have easily set up a company and get the required permits.

Let me guess, the illegal workers were working in an occupation reserved for Thai's only. Probably on the front enterance ticket booth, selling enterance tickets and explaining to Russian tourist what the price is, and what they get for that money.

A business like this contributes to the growth of the local economy.

No point building a business and marketing to your fellow countymen tourists, if you are only allowed to employ staff that can't speak their language, Russian, and making an unpleasant experience for the customers.

They are really just not getting the theory behind what TAT is trying to do with these emerging economies.

To be fair to you, stevenl, I one person has to get a work permit, everyone should have to get a work permit, or face the consequences. Trouble is, the language barrier in this case.

Thai's can't speak Russian - Russians can't speak Thai.

The TAT want, in fact now NEED, Rusians on Phuket, but laws will not allow the employment of Russians to communicate with them and sell tickets/tours/products etc - all of which directly, or indirectly, employ other Thai's.

They can apply for a work visa. it's that simple.

The question is, were they performing "work" that is an occupation reserved for Thai's only???? If so, there can't get a work permit.

What we are seeing is, Thai's can't speak Russian and Mandarin, but the occupations that require an employee to be able to speak these languages are reserved for Thai's only, so, you either employ an illegal, or go broke.

Even Thai businesses are employing a Russian or Chinese so the business makes money.

• 3 weeks later...